Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa State Dual - 19 Jan

Default Iowa State Dual - 19 Jan

NDSU will try to rebound from a terrible performance against Wyoming, as they take on Iowa State on Sunday. Iowa State very may well be the second best team in the conference and will be a big favorite vs NDSU. 9 of Iowa States 10 regular starters are ranked in various polls. My Predictions:
    125- Midkiff dec #10 Mackall, 3-0 NDSU. Assuming Midkiff is at full strength, he can win this one, although it would be an upset. Mackall is strong but doesn't do much and I think he's highly overrated. He was tied at 3 with Vega from SDSU, and recorded a defensive fall at the end of the 2nd period (Vega has been on a roll lately, but Midkiff teched him this year).
    133- Sykora dec #13 Small, 6-0 NDSU. Small is a juco transfer who has been wrestling really well. He's explosive and good on his feet and could keep this close and even win. I expect Cam to be able to win the takedown battle and wouldn't be suprised to see him get somes turns to make this a major decision.
    141- #7 Parker maj Degen, 6-4 NDSU. Parker should be able to do whatever he wants in this one. I imagine Parker will be used to wrestling someone with Degen's style, with Degen's brother being an All American for Iowa State.
    149- #7 Degen dec Van Maanen, 7-6 ISU. Degen is prone to some lapses, so I expect Van Maanen to keep it relatively close. Leisure has been starting for ISU lately with Degen nicked up. If Leisure is starting again, I would pick Van Maanen to win.
    157- #3 Carr dec Franek, 10-6 ISU. Carr is great and handled Franek at CKLV in December. Could be a major decision.
    165- Fogarty maj #33 Straw, 10-10. Fogarty only beat Straw 4-0 at CKLV, but was screwed out of 2 more points. If Weber is in here, it is a true toss up.
    174- #11 Colbray dec De La Riva, 13-10 ISU. Colbray made his debut at HWT against NDSU a couple years back and now just made it down to 174. If De La Riva can push the pace and tire him, he has a chance.
    184- #15 Coleman dec Cressell, 16-10 ISU. Coleman looked awful tonight vs SDSU and gassed badly. He is new to 184 and a bit undersized. Still, he is a lot more proven than Cressell.
    197- Eaton dec Shapiro, 16-13 ISU. Shapiro also looked awful tonight vs SDSU, and Eaton is due for a win. This is probably another toss up.
    HWT- #12 Gremmel dec Metz, 19-13 ISU. Gremmell also looked awful against SDSU, but he still hung on. He had a really good CKLV and Scuffle, and beat Metz 7-3 last year.

I could see NDSU winning any of: 125, 133, 149 (If Degen is out), 165, 174, 197, and HWT, so there is a path to victory. NDSU will need to perform significantly better than they did against Wyoming and ISU needs to perform like they did vs SDSU.

Default Re: Iowa State Dual - 19 Jan

Iowa State beat SDSU 22-17 tonight. SDSU was trailing 5-1 at 165 in the second and got a reversal and fall, to get back in the dual.

Big news from the night though is David Carr getting nicked up. He appeared to get hurt as he was about to secure a late second period takedown and wasn't the same after that. Him missing the dual would be a huge development and give NDSU a better chance to win the dual. I'm hoping he's alright though and we see him on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Iowa State beat SDSU 22-17 tonight. SDSU was trailing 5-1 at 165 in the second and got a reversal and fall, to get back in the dual.

Big news from the night though is David Carr getting nicked up. He appeared to get hurt as he was about to secure a late second period takedown and wasn't the same after that. Him missing the dual would be a huge development and give NDSU a better chance to win the dual. I'm hoping he's alright though and we see him on Sunday.
    It will be interesting to see how they handle Carr. Not only does he have a chance at a NCAA Championship, but as reigning Junior World Champion, he will be in the mix at the OTT for 74 KG.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    It will be interesting to see how they handle Carr. Not only does he have a chance at a NCAA Championship, but as reigning Junior World Champion, he will be in the mix at the OTT for 74 KG.
    Yeah, it will. I don't give him any real shot this year with JB, Dake, and IMar around, but I do think he is the future of the weight. I just hope it was a minor injury last night. The SDSU fans were super classy about it last night too....

Yeah, it will. I don't give him any real shot this year with JB, Dake, and IMar around, but I do think he is the future of the weight. I just hope it was a minor injury last night. The SDSU fans were super classy about it last night too....
    I saw that... what's the real story
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

What did they do? I was watching, but I guess I didn't notice.

What are you referring to?
    Jackrabbit1979 - Bringing delusional Bison fans back down to earth since 2004.

According to Dresser, Carr ran out of gas.

https://www.iowastatedaily.com/sport...9038e0370.html

Dual for today has been postponed

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    What are you referring to?
    When I watched it live, there is a guy that is in the front row towards the end that I think makes the crying motion at Carr (two fists by the eyes and turns his fists). Rewatching it, maybe he wasn't doing the "crying" (I still think he was). The only wrestling related thing that would mean would be a double stall and I really doubt he was asking for Carlson to get hit for a stall late, and stalling doesn't entail twisting your fists. Throw that in with getting on Carr in between periods when Carlson literally did nothing the first two periods, except get dominated, and I didn't like it.

I really don't like the fans at the SDSU home duals and that probably led me jump to conclusions.