Thread: Graduating Seniors Ratings help

Default Graduating Seniors Ratings help

Selfish post here but I always rate the outgoing class with 1 of 4 scores: Hall of Fame, All Conference, Starter, or Depth.

I got stuck on a couple departing Bison today.

Zack Johnson and Ben Ellefson

Both are All Conference rating without question. Just debating if they are Hall of Fame tier. These ratings aren't literal or it would be no fun for me. You can be All Conference without ever getting that media voted badge of honor. Same with HoF, etc.

Zach Johnson: I am leaving pretty heavily towards HoF for Zach Johnson because he was a long term great OL at OT AND OG. He is also getting NFL looks as a UDFA if I had to guess. Thoughts?

Ben Ellefson: This one is harder. Great player for 2+ years. Think he set a TE touchdown record for the Bison in a career? Never felt like he took over a game or was overly noticeable other than TD to receptions ratio. I know he was great! But was he HoF?

I started grading during Easton's class. The HoF grades I have given so far are Easton, D Shep, RJ, T Volson, Menard, Bruce, Grimsley, and now this year Jimmy F'ing Football, D Tuszka, and potentially Z Johnson and Ellefson.

Would love to hear any thoughts. Even if you disagree on HoF grades or people I omitted in the last 2 graduating classes!
    Rixen

Bisman is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Graduating Seniors Ratings help

Quote Originally Posted by Rixen View Post
    Selfish post here but I always rate the outgoing class with 1 of 4 scores: Hall of Fame, All Conference, Starter, or Depth.

I got stuck on a couple departing Bison today.

Zack Johnson and Ben Ellefson

Both are All Conference rating without question. Just debating if they are Hall of Fame tier. These ratings aren't literal or it would be no fun for me. You can be All Conference without ever getting that media voted badge of honor. Same with HoF, etc.

Zach Johnson: I am leaving pretty heavily towards HoF for Zach Johnson because he was a long term great OL at OT AND OG. He is also getting NFL looks as a UDFA if I had to guess. Thoughts?

Ben Ellefson: This one is harder. Great player for 2+ years. Think he set a TE touchdown record for the Bison in a career? Never felt like he took over a game or was overly noticeable other than TD to receptions ratio. I know he was great! But was he HoF?

I started grading during Easton's class. The HoF grades I have given so far are Easton, D Shep, RJ, T Volson, Menard, Bruce, Grimsley, and now this year Jimmy F'ing Football, D Tuszka, and potentially Z Johnson and Ellefson.

Would love to hear any thoughts. Even if you disagree on HoF grades or people I omitted in the last 2 graduating classes!
    Regarding Ben Ellefson, I remember that Chris Klieman said Ben was the best blocking TE he had ever had.

Ohhh, that's a good nugget. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have thoughts?
    Last edited by Rixen; 01-14-2020 at 01:47 AM.
    Rixen

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Zach all con, Ben hof. Te's are getting better and better. He is one of the best to ever play at su at the passion.

Ben is HOF for sure. Weve had some really good TEs but I can't name one who is better. Maybe Veldman has a similar skillset but he only had 1 good year.

As far as Zack Johnson... tough to say because RT has had some hell of good players, like Joe Haeg (who later moved to LT) but I can't name 1 LG with his size, pass, and run blocking skills. So yes, ZJ is HOF at RG.. RT is is tougher debate weve had so many great RTs going back to Keith Buckman, Landon Lechler...

But damn gonna miss those guys

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Ben is HOF for sure. Weve had some really good TEs but I can't name one who is better. Maybe Veldman has a similar skillset but he only had 1 good year.

As far as Zack Johnson... tough to say because RT has had some hell of good players, like Joe Haeg (who later moved to LT) but I can't name 1 LG with his size, pass, and run blocking skills. So yes, ZJ is HOF at RG.. RT is is tougher debate weve had so many great RTs going back to Keith Buckman, Landon Lechler...

But damn gonna miss those guys
    Andrew Bonnet was a beast.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Thanks everyone for the input. Sounds like Ben is unanimous and Zach is probably leaning HoF as well. The tough thing for me is that TE is tricky because this run hasn't had any HoF TEs yet, in my mind. So just because he is the best of the bunch doesn't lock him in to being HoF.

With OL I already considered Volson HoF and Billy and Joe are absolute no brainers. I guess I considered Zach in the same vein as Tanner but perhaps that isn't fair since Tanner was the best center in FCS and received more notoriety. Could be recency bias on my part. Hmm.

Good conversation, guys. Keep it coming if you want.
    Rixen