Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the 2019 Bison the Best Bison Team Ever?

Default Re: Are the 2019 Bison the Best Bison Team Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    NDSU should not have run him like they did in the title game against JMU, IMO. It seems to me that it was unnecessary given the stable of excellent RBs NDSU has.
    It seemed a win at all costs approach even if it meant risking injury to a future NFL quarterback. 30 running plays by Trey versus 14 for all the other players (although admittedly, some of these were decided by Trey himself). In watching Rogers, Brady, R. Wilson (Seattle) - some of the NFLs best - they use QBs differently, and they have had longevity.
    I am happy for the W, but not so happy with how NDSU used Lance.
    I didn't really have a problem with it since he's not gonna git hit again for 7 months. If you start calling plays thinking about the NFL futures of your players you'll have a short career as a play caller.

A pretty good indicator is how the teams played in the playoffs, by their margin of victory, their ability to put the other team away in the second half, and so on. Based on this, the 2018 Bison maybe were not as good as some of the one loss Bison teams. The 2013 team pounded their rivals in the playoffs and in the championship game if I recall.

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Entz didnt want to show Oregon the entire playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I didn't really have a problem with it since he's not gonna git hit again for 7 months. If you start calling plays thinking about the NFL futures of your players you'll have a short career as a play caller.
    It would be interesting to see how many of those "runs" were called runs. People on here are in a fit about running the QB so much. But in his own words his long TD run was a PASS play. He scrambled for the TD.

Bisman is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by noryan34 View Post
    It would be interesting to see how many of those "runs" were called runs. People on here are in a fit about running the QB so much. But in his own words his long TD run was a PASS play. He scrambled for the TD.
    Right. He was often under pressure, in the pocket, and did a great job of making something out of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I'll grant that. But if coaches don't select plays with protecting their QB in mind, they might end up losing their QB.

Protecting players is part of how to play the game. In the 'old' days so to speak, it wasn't that uncommon for QBs to throw a ball to a receiver in the middle of field who then got their bell rung bad by a defensive player b/c they were out in space. Today, the QBs do a much better job of taking into account where the defensive players are before they throw the ball. And they throw the ball - high or low, etc - to minimize the hit by a defensive player. They don't want to lose their receivers. Same general idea.

I'll grant that. But if coaches don't select plays with protecting their QB in mind, they might end up losing their QB.

Protecting players is part of how to play the game. In the 'old' days so to speak, it wasn't that uncommon for QBs to throw a ball to a receiver in the middle of field who then got their bell rung bad by a defensive player b/c they were out in space. Today, the QBs do a much better job of taking into account where the defensive players are before they throw the ball. And they throw the ball - high or low, etc - to minimize the hit by a defensive player. They don't want to lose their receivers. Same general idea.
    I agree and I think they did for the most part this season outside of the SDSU and JMU games (IOW the games they needed him the most). I think they knew all year that their best RB also happened to be their best QB but they knew they couldn't ride him like they did in the JMU and SDSU games the whole season.

NDSU should not have run him like they did in the title game against JMU, IMO. It seems to me that it was unnecessary given the stable of excellent RBs NDSU has.
    It seemed a win at all costs approach even if it meant risking injury to a future NFL quarterback. 30 running plays by Trey versus 14 for all the other players (although admittedly, some of these were decided by Trey himself). In watching Rogers, Brady, R. Wilson (Seattle) - some of the NFLs best - they use QBs differently, and they have had longevity.
    I am happy for the W, but not so happy with how NDSU used Lance.
    I also thought they overused Lance running, not because of safety, but because it wasn't very effective in the 2nd half. Outside runs with Ty Brooks and other plays would have been more effective imo. Yes, we won, but was much much closer than it had to be.

Quote Originally Posted by yopaulie View Post
    I also thought they overused Lance running, not because of safety, but because it wasn't very effective in the 2nd half. Outside runs with Ty Brooks and other plays would have been more effective imo. Yes, we won, but was much much closer than it had to be.
    They could've let him use his arm more also. They only rolled him out once that I remember and he hit Luepke for a nice gain. But they didn't give him many high percentage throws to get him comfortable throwing the ball. It seemed like almost a carbon copy of their SDSU game plan with an even higher percentage of QB runs.

Quote Originally Posted by yopaulie View Post
    Brooks wasn't himself the 2nd half, it didn't look like.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie