Page 63 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: JMU Post-Game Thoughts & Discussion

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: JMU Post-Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    Exactly Charlie. There’s more to football than numbers and probability. I watch a ton of football and only the dumb coachs go for two before they have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like Dabo Swinney, 2 nights ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I don't quite get the consternation amongst Duke fans about letting Dinucci throw the ball at the end of the game. At that point he was 22 for 32 for 204 yards with 2 TDs and no INTs. When they got inside the NDSU 10 yard line on their initial drive their play sequence went:

3rd & 1 at NDSU 8
    (8:52 - 1st) Percy Agyei-Obese run for 1 yd to the NDkSt 7 for a 1ST down

1st & Goal at NDSU 7
    (8:19 - 1st) Percy Agyei-Obese run for 3 yds to the NDkSt 4

2nd & Goal at NDSU 4
    (8:00 - 1st) Percy Agyei-Obese run for a loss of 1 yard to the NDkSt 5

3rd & Goal at NDSU 5
    (7:27 - 1st) Ben DiNucci pass complete to Riley Stapleton for 5 yds for a TD, (Ethan Ratke KICK)

Dinucci also threw a 5 yard TD to Riley Stapleton later in the game. I don't think they had confidence they could run on a condensed NDSU defense but they thought they had mismatches in the passing game. If anything the bad decision was throwing the ball to Polk who had done nothing all game instead of one of the Stapletons who had the size and physicality to make plays over the NDSU DBs.
    Their consternation is that it didn't work and cost them the game.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Exactly... hindsight is 20/20. Same thing happens with Bison fans though... we all lauded the fake FG call but then the reverse to Watson was the dumbest play call ever. Btw an interesting thing about that ill-fated reverse play... watch Ellefson, the TE on the top of the screen, and what he does on that play before Watson gets eaten up in the backfield (hint: that wasn't designed to be a run play). Here's the play: https://youtu.be/1IJIhvXriIs?t=2h3m23s

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    And Dinucci's career record of blowing big games vs how he had been doing so far in that particular game. I can imagine as fans they were just expecting him to throw a pick at the worst time and blow the game. Hell even the telecast announcers were setting that story line up from the beginning of the game. Paid off perfectly for them at the end.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I haven’t looked for myself because apparently I have to actually do some work today, how did Radunz and Volson do against Daka and Carter as far as giving up sacks?
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    I haven’t looked for myself because apparently I have to actually do some work today, how did Radunz and Volson do against Daka and Carter as far as giving up sacks?
    I think only 1 sack towards the beginning of the game.

I don't quite get the consternation amongst Duke fans about letting Dinucci throw the ball at the end of the game. At that point he was 22 for 32 for 204 yards with 2 TDs and no INTs. When they got inside the NDSU 10 yard line on their initial drive their play sequence went:

3rd & 1 at NDSU 8

1st & Goal at NDSU 7

2nd & Goal at NDSU 4

3rd & Goal at NDSU 5
    (7:27 - 1st) Ben DiNucci pass complete to Riley Stapleton for 5 yds for a TD, (Ethan Ratke KICK)

Dinucci also threw a 5 yard TD to Riley Stapleton later in the game. I don't think they had confidence they could run on a condensed NDSU defense but they thought they had mismatches in the passing game. If anything the bad decision was throwing the ball to Polk who had done nothing all game instead of one of the Stapletons who had the size and physicality to make plays over the NDSU DBs.
    I was curious too. If its me I would want the QB to have the ball with the game on the line. If that isnt the case then you do not have much confidence in your qb being very good.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I think only 1 sack towards the beginning of the game.
    Carter and Amos combined for the only sack of the game on the Bison's 2 offensive play of the game. It was actually Daka beating Radunz and a free rusher in Amos on the left side that caused Lance to step right into the pressure on the right from Carter (who was being blocked by Volson).

I thought Daka had a better game than Carter did but they did a decent job of bottling up both in the pass rush and when they did get free Lance was a magician back there in avoiding sacks.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Exactly... hindsight is 20/20. Same thing happens with Bison fans though... we all lauded the fake FG call but then the reverse to Watson was the dumbest play call ever. Btw an interesting thing about that ill-fated reverse play... watch Ellefson, the TE on the top of the screen, and what he does on that play before Watson gets eaten up in the backfield (hint: that wasn't designed to be a run play). Here's the play: https://youtu.be/1IJIhvXriIs?t=2h3m23s
    So you're saying pass to Gindorf off the reverse , who's busting butt downfield off a push block? I think that's Gindorf not Ellefson, runs like Gindorf anyway. Either way we were marching the ball, not sure why we needed the gimmick there. That would have been the perfect time for hurry up A gap ala SHSU 2014, JMU was reeling it would have been nice to finish them off at that point.

3rd & 1 at NDSU 8

1st & Goal at NDSU 7

2nd & Goal at NDSU 4

3rd & Goal at NDSU 5

Completely agree with this. Furthermore while my eyes like a lot of others told me they were able to run it quite well the data does not actually support that. What they did have all the time was throwing something to anybody named Stapleton 8-12 yds straight through were the Mike used to be. EDIT - but then you just said that.