Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT: NDSU vs. James Madison (FCS National Championship)

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Default Re: GDT: NDSU vs. James Madison (FCS National Championship)

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    You were fine with the 16 carries in the 1st half, but the 14 in the second were too many?
    Wasn't there a 3 and out the series before the failed 4 and 2 where Trey ran 3 times in a row for basically no gain? That was the questionable play calling I was referring too. It was after the 44 yard scamper and I think that play had something to do with it. I didn't think we even really tried to establish the run that much with the running backs but I do understand jmu was good at stopping that.

Lardsin must go!

bisoneer is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Congrats BISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let's Go Bison!!!

Nobody thought Trey would have 30 carries and it worked. Best player on the field took care of business. Not sure what there is to complain about.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't think that game plan works against any other good team on any other day. It was exactly the plan we needed to win yesterday. JMU played a perfect defensive game for any QB but Lance. If Zeb were in, and we try to play that strategy, NDSU loses by 2 or 3 TDs. I hope this team isn't planning to build around running Lance 30 times against every good team.

I don't think a lot of you listened to Entz talk about taking what JMU gave the Bison. JMU had not seen much QB run this year. They played a lot of single high coverage which he explains means when our skill players go downfield, defenders are turning their backs to the QB. 5 guys in coverage, safety help, 4-5 guys getting blocked, and all of a sudden, no one left to account for a running QB.

If JMU adjusts, someone else is left uncovered. Apparently, JMU was not comfortable with someone else beating them. I would have forced the Bison to pass to beat me, but that might have looked just as ugly.

Trey executed the coach's game plan very well. Did everything work? No. Is Roehl perfect? No. I'll take 16-0 and a NC while he's learning. JMU tried to disguise more in the second half but still was burned a few times because they weren't completely dedicated to stopping the QB run by leaving their comfort zone.

The game was won because the players executed the game plan and plays the coaches set out for them. It wasn't 100% perfect but there was another team who just spent a lot of time figuring out how to beat your team too. To dismiss the coaching and their effect on this game is ignorant.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Totally agree with you, but the call that bothered me most was the 4th and 2 call. Show them something their not looking for ! We should have gotten that first down and ran way more time off the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I don't think a lot of you listened to Entz talk about taking what JMU gave the Bison. JMU had not seen much QB run this year. They played a lot of single high coverage which he explains means when our skill players go downfield, defenders are turning their backs to the QB. 5 guys in coverage, safety help, 4-5 guys getting blocked, and all of a sudden, no one left to account for a running QB.

If JMU adjusts, someone else is left uncovered. Apparently, JMU was not comfortable with someone else beating them. I would have forced the Bison to pass to beat me, but that might have looked just as ugly.

Trey executed the coach's game plan very well. Did everything work? No. Is Roehl perfect? No. I'll take 16-0 and a NC while he's learning. JMU tried to disguise more in the second half but still was burned a few times because they weren't completely dedicated to stopping the QB run by leaving their comfort zone.

The game was won because the players executed the game plan and plays the coaches set out for them. It wasn't 100% perfect but there was another team who just spent a lot of time figuring out how to beat your team too. To dismiss the coaching and their effect on this game is ignorant.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I agree with this. Say what you will about coaching, and maybe hammering the QB run isn’t a sexy way to win, but our first year OC and HC just went 16-0 (first time a college team has done this since the 1800s), won a National Championship, and beat a very good team today to accomplish all of it.

Pretty acceptable first year offerings, FFS.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

that was a real weak call that had no shot. run the qb option where fakes he going to run, pulls back and finds a wide open te that slips out

Quote Originally Posted by BisonCardinal View Post
    So who does better time management than our current staff? If you can't come up with a name, than you are just bitching,
    At the end of the half, not giving the ball back to JMU with any time to score was the #1 priority. Scoring additional points was a very distant second - so they burnt a lot of clock until they got the first down and then Lance started dropping back. Made sense to me.

Heck, I'd have been content with three kneel downs when the 3rd and 2 didn't go for a big chunk o' yards.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I agree with this. Say what you will about coaching, and maybe hammering the QB run isn’t a sexy way to win, but our first year OC and HC just went 16-0 (first time a college team has done this since the 1800s), won a National Championship, and beat a very good team today to accomplish all of it.

Pretty acceptable first year offerings, FFS.
    People who are complaining about NDSU running the QB* too much boggle my mind. JMU was going man-to-man constantly while bringing guys from the edge/backside to stop RBs just like they did very successfully against us in 2016 semi and the 2017 championship game. That's a perfect setup for turning your QB loose. And it worked - NDSU rushed for more yardage than those last two games combined.

* I hope Trey doesn't run that much until the playoffs next year but I completely agree with what they did yesterday.