Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU vs. JMU (Special Teams Analysis)

Default Re: NDSU vs. JMU (Special Teams Analysis)

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Hard not to give the slight edge to JMU on this one.
    They get the edge but it's not as drastic as you may think it to be. Statistically speaking net punting, punt return, kick return, and kick return defense are essentially a wash with JMU holding a tiny lead in all of those categories.

The only place I think there's a significant advantage is when it comes to clutch FG kicking... I think Crosa is passable but I don't trust him (or the long snapper/holder) if it comes down to needing a FG in crunch time. Rathke is a senior who has made some monster kicks in the past (like his 46 yarder in the Fargodome to break the tie in the 2016 semis and his kick to beat Weber St in the 2017 quarters) but his range is limited (as is Crosa's). I hope Entz has the same testicular fortitude he had late in the 4th quarter in Brookings on 4th downs in this game. The Bison offense is so good that if it's anything inside of 4th and 4 and outside of a 40 yard FG I think the offense has a better chance at converting a first down than Crosa does a FG.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    They get the edge but it's not as drastic as you may think it to be. Statistically speaking net punting, punt return, kick return, and kick return defense are essentially a wash with JMU holding a tiny lead in all of those categories.

The only place I think there's a significant advantage is when it comes to clutch FG kicking... I think Crosa is passable but I don't trust him (or the long snapper/holder) if it comes down to needing a FG in crunch time. Rathke is a senior who has made some monster kicks in the past (like his 46 yarder in the Fargodome to break the tie in the 2016 semis and his kick to beat Weber St in the 2017 quarters) but his range is limited (as is Crosa's). I hope Entz has the same testicular fortitude he had late in the 4th quarter in Brookings on 4th downs in this game. The Bison offense is so good that if it's anything inside of 4th and 4 and outside of a 40 yard FG I think the offense has a better chance at converting a first down than Crosa does a FG.
    Agree with all of this.

I also heard BMac say that JMU has blocked a total of 9 kicks (I would assume that's punts and FGs) this year, to lead the FCS. I would not be suprised at all to see a block in this game and that could have huge implications.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Agree with all of this.

I also heard BMac say that JMU has blocked a total of 9 kicks (I would assume that's punts and FGs) this year, to lead the FCS. I would not be suprised at all to see a block in this game and that could have huge implications.
    Their athletics website shows 7 total (3 punts blocked and 4 kicks blocked) Still.....a very big number for this category.

Agree with all of this.

Yeah, hopefully Wegner doesn't get the yips back there punting. I think that was Koonce's problem after he got roughed in 2017 (and he was probably a bit hurt too) and that led to him putting his coverage team in some bad situations.

JMU punt returner Amos D'Angelo is very dangerous.

In addition to what he has done this season, in 2018, he returned 3 punts for touchdowns and averaged 22 yards per return and had a long of 85.

In 2017, he returned 1 punt for a touchdown and averaged 15.8 yards per return.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    JMU punt returner Amos D'Angelo is very dangerous.

In addition to what he has done this season, in 2018, he returned 3 punts for touchdowns and averaged 22 yards per return and had a long of 85.

In 2017, he returned 1 punt for a touchdown and averaged 15.8 yards per return.
    D'Angelo is also pretty dangerous on defense. I watched a lot of their games over Christmas vacation, and during those games, he was ejected in two of them for targeting.

Also, JMU gave up a few TDs on punt/kick-off returns.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I have the best strategy to beat this......don’t punt, score touchdowns.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Our special teams haven't been real special since Bohl left. He seemed to put more emphasis on it than Klieman or Entz has so far. Still get a kick out of them saying FG's don't beat you and then they send out the FG unit.
    Klieman was top notch for special teams

Yeah, but how many 2-point conversion plays does JMU have?
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    D'Angelo is also pretty dangerous on defense. I watched a lot of their games over Christmas vacation, and during those games, he was ejected in two of them for targeting.

Also, JMU gave up a few TDs on punt/kick-off returns.
    This was D'Angelo in Christmas Vacation.

Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)