Page 43 of 89 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Trey Lance's Season the Greatest in Program History?

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Is Trey Lance's Season the Greatest in Program History?

Quote Originally Posted by 123Gobison View Post
    We need to design plays in a way that takes advantage of our QBs strength.
    I agree with this sentence.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    No crap, we have a ferrari here, lets quit driving him like he's a chrysler lebaron
    All CAPS

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    It seems like running our athletic QBs more late in the season is a very sensible thing that this program has been doing for some time now.
    I disagree, Mel Kiper put a huge asterisk on Trey for running 30 times.
    in the FCS title game, for instance, he threw just 10 passes but ran 30 times for 166 yards and a TD. That won't happen in the NFL.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/i...iper-big-board

If we keep running Trey it will be colossal mismanagement of talent by our coaches.

Going back to Brock, how often were NDSU QBs hurt running vs. staying in the pocket?

I don't remember many Jensen injuries, but where did he separate his shoulder against Youngstown State?

I remember Wentz being injured three times. One was running against SDSU (the week prior to the UNI lost) and got his ankle rolled up a bit as he was tackled going out-of-bounds on the SDSU sideline. The other two were in the pocket injuries. One was an ankle injury at Montana and the other was being hit from behind as he threw a pass against USD.

The only Stick injury that I heard about was a back injury he sustained while playing Iowa. We weren't informed about this until well after the season, but I believe this injury happened while being in the pocket due to the amount of hits he was taking, especially on the "near fumble."

For Lance, we don't know if he sustained any injuries officially, but the dude is bigger than most of those trying to tackle him.

With that said, I have confidence the NDSU staff know what they are doing based on the results of the last four starting QBs over three head coaching regimes.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Mel just wanting to get on the train. I think he grabbed the caboose as it flew by. Remember where you heard it first... Lol yeah a month plus late their old man.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    A month late? I was saying NFL talent before he took a snap and he might leave early after a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Going back to Brock, how often were NDSU QBs hurt running vs. staying in the pocket?

I don't remember many Jensen injuries, but where did he separate his shoulder against Youngstown State?

I remember Wentz being injured three times. One was running against SDSU (the week prior to the UNI lost) and got his ankle rolled up a bit as he was tackled going out-of-bounds on the SDSU sideline. The other two were in the pocket injuries. One was an ankle injury at Montana and the other was being hit from behind as he threw a pass against USD.

The only Stick injury that I heard about was a back injury he sustained while playing Iowa. We weren't informed about this until well after the season, but I believe this injury happened while being in the pocket due to the amount of hits he was taking, especially on the "near fumble."

For Lance, we don't know if he sustained any injuries officially, but the dude is bigger than most of those trying to tackle him.

With that said, I have confidence the NDSU staff know what they are doing based on the results of the last four starting QBs over three head coaching regimes.
    Unofficially, I heard Trey had an oblique issue around early November into early playoffs. Explains why he was slightly less awesome than usual for a stretch their.

Quote Originally Posted by 123Gobison View Post
    All CAPS

I disagree, Mel Kiper put a huge asterisk on Trey for running 30 times.
    in the FCS title game, for instance, he threw just 10 passes but ran 30 times for 166 yards and a TD. That won't happen in the NFL.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/i...iper-big-board

If we keep running Trey it will be colossal mismanagement of talent by our coaches.
    I think you missed my point. I don’t think that running the QB is risk free, and I see value for the program in producing professional athletes. My point is, as a strategy, as the season progresses, with a QB that isn’t entering the draft, the risk of rushing the QB decreases as the season advances because there’s less season left to sacrifice to injury and fewer opportunities for an injury to occur. Simultaneously, the consequences of dropping a game increase. Therefore, if you have a capable QB, it makes sense to run him more the later in the season you progress.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I think you missed my point. I don’t think that running the QB is risk free, and I see value for the program in producing professional athletes. My point is, as a strategy, as the season progresses, with a QB that isn’t entering the draft, the risk of rushing the QB decreases as the season advances because there’s less season left to sacrifice to injury and fewer opportunities for an injury to occur. Simultaneously, the consequences of dropping a game increase. Therefore, if you have a capable QB, it makes sense to run him more the later in the season you progress.
    I wanted to think we ran Trey smart all year and saved him for the 30 rush game that we needed against JMU. Granted, a good amount of his rushes were on pass plays. Having said that, Trey’s rush attempts by game:
    Butler - 5
    UND - 16
    Deleware - 6
    Cal Davis - 13
    Ill St. - 7
    UNI - 11
    Miss St. - 8
    SDSU - 8
    Youngstown - 4
    West Ill - 3
    USD - 5
    So. Ill - 10
    Nichols - 11
    Ind St - 11
    Mont St - 11
    JMU- 30

That’s too many runs by any standard.

Quote Originally Posted by bison_by_blood View Post
    I wanted to think we ran Trey smart all year and saved him for the 30 rush game that we needed against JMU. Granted, a good amount of his rushes were on pass plays. Having said that, Trey’s rush attempts by game:
    Butler - 5
    UND - 16
    Deleware - 6
    Cal Davis - 13
    Ill St. - 7
    UNI - 11
    Miss St. - 8
    SDSU - 8
    Youngstown - 4
    West Ill - 3
    USD - 5
    So. Ill - 10
    Nichols - 11
    Ind St - 11
    Mont St - 11
    JMU- 30

That’s too many runs by any standard.
    Agreed completely. Didn't Easton run a lot more his first year too? Settled down a lot more the second year from what I remember. Wondering if Trey might be somewhat the same.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    Agreed completely. Didn't Easton run a lot more his first year too? Settled down a lot more the second year from what I remember. Wondering if Trey might be somewhat the same.
    Yes, and Lance ran fewer times per game than Stick year 1, even with the huge outlier number in the final.

Stick:
    82 in 8 starts, 10.25 per game
    113 in 14, 8.07
    98 in 14, 7.00
    117 in 15, 7.80

Lance:
    159 in 16, 9.94
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

But running him more could delay him from being drafted for a year or two.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS