Page 50 of 89 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Trey Lance's Season the Greatest in Program History?

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Is Trey Lance's Season the Greatest in Program History?

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I was thinking that he could sling it pretty far, just not accurately. Do I remember that wrong?
    One could say that you are accurate.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I get that but the statement I responded to was that Trey had "training wheels" on and that Entz will let him "open it up" more this year. Just wondering what would led to that conclusion. So many posters on BV make "I have a feeling that..." statements and I am always curious about what these are based on since there's often no specific evidence of the statement. Is it inside information or just wishful thinking?
    Just a gut feeling. In the big games it seemed like the game plan was more run heavy, RBs and designed QB runs. It's not crazy to think that they wouldn't feed the entire playbook to a redshirt freshman.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Just a gut feeling. In the big games it seemed like the game plan was more run heavy, RBs and designed QB runs. It's not crazy to think that they wouldn't feed the entire playbook to a redshirt freshman.

That's just it. I didn't see that, even when I've looked for it during my regular re-runs of the 2019 season. I honestly think that our offensive gameplanning and playcalling was just stellar. Hell, the natty was run heavy because they knew that JMU hadn't seen many (any?) mobile QB's during their season and so the plan was to be heavy on the QB run until JMU started to counter it, then move to more variety. JMU was pretty successful in shutting him down from running in the third quarter and so you saw a few more pass attempts. Then, the backbreaker...
    Insert something clever here...

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

That's just it. I didn't see that, even when I've looked for it during my regular re-runs of the 2019 season. I honestly think that our offensive gameplanning and playcalling was just stellar. Hell, the natty was run heavy because they knew that JMU hadn't seen many (any?) mobile QB's during their season and so the plan was to be heavy on the QB run until JMU started to counter it, then move to more variety. JMU was pretty successful in shutting him down from running in the third quarter and so you saw a few more pass attempts. Then, the backbreaker...
    Add in another year under the belts of Watson and Sproles. Like I said just a gut feeling, I think the offense will just open up more. 2nd year at the helm for Entz. 2nd year running the show for Trey. Pump it up!

Quote Originally Posted by cx500d View Post
    The next Carson Wentz? He wasn’t a pro yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-carson-wentz

I was thinking that he could sling it pretty far, just not accurately. Do I remember that wrong?
    Slinging it far isn't much of a skill and doesn't really take a strong arm.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Add in another year under the belts of Watson and Sproles. Like I said just a gut feeling, I think the offense will just open up more. 2nd year at the helm for Entz. 2nd year running the show for Trey. Pump it up!
    Going into the season, the returning WR corps had 16 catches between them (IIRC). Then, boom, both Watson and Sproles turned out to be very, very good. Heck, Zach Mathis looked like Randy Moss out there in his limited snaps, plus there are some young guys who have an awful lot of potential.

Given that we have talent to stretch the field, I could see it opening up a bit especially if there are some injuries in the TE/FB group which seems kind of thin.

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Going into the season, the returning WR corps had 16 catches between them (IIRC). Then, boom, both Watson and Sproles turned out to be very, very good. Heck, Zach Mathis looked like Randy Moss out there in his limited snaps, plus there are some young guys who have an awful lot of potential.

Given that we have talent to stretch the field, I could see it opening up a bit especially if there are some injuries in the TE/FB group which seems kind of thin.
    Maybe "opening it up" would also include asking trey to scramble less unless it's 3rd down and asking him to get to 3rd reads more. Or opening up more full field reads going into another season. May not seem like much but taking out a 8 yard scramble and adding in another pass attempt and completing for 12 yards will really add up over a session stat wise. Plus it would be what the NFL wants to see

CBS Mock draft...

#8 to the Lions

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...f-board-early/
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Incredible that in this scenario, the Oregon game would have 3 top 10 picks on the field.