Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NET Rankings

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default NET Rankings

So took a peek at the rankings heading into league play and I'm absolutely confused as to how ORU is that high. They have 7 wins, only 3 of which are against D1 teams and those 3 wins are against Houston Baptist (342), Chicago St (347) and Missouri St (146). On top of that 2 of their 4 non D1 wins were only by 12 and 13 points. Even if their offensive and defensive efficiency numbers are through the roof the math doesn't really make sense to me.

ORU - 113
    USD - 132
    NDSU - 173
    Omaha - 177
    SDSU - 194
    UND - 213
    IPFW - 270
    WIU - 300
    Denver - 309

Default Re: NET Rankings

I thought when I sifted through the initial release of the NET ratings a couple weeks ago that ORU was down around the 200 range. I wouldn't think a win over Missouri St would give them that much of a bump. A problem with the RPI that seems to have persisted to the NET is that mid-majors could really inflate their rating in relation to their conference peers just by playing a bunch of games against high majors even if they lost them. ORU has always seemed to play more games against high majors than other Summit League teams do. This year they've played Oklahoma St, Iowa, Wichita St, and Creighton. That must be what's building their rating up compared to NDSU who has only played 2 high major teams (and K-State is doing their best to not act like a high major with a NET rating of #117).

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I thought when I sifted through the initial release of the NET ratings a couple weeks ago that ORU was down around the 200 range. I wouldn't think a win over Missouri St would give them that much of a bump. A problem with the RPI that seems to have persisted to the NET is that mid-majors could really inflate their rating in relation to their conference peers just by playing a bunch of games against high majors even if they lost them. ORU has always seemed to play more games against high majors than other Summit League teams do. This year they've played Oklahoma St, Iowa, Wichita St, and Creighton. That must be what's building their rating up compared to NDSU who has only played 2 high major teams (and K-State is doing their best to not act like a high major with a NET rating of #117).
    This definitely makes no sense, I get strength of schedule to an extent but you should have to win games on that schedule for it to really help you. They have a 3-5 record against D1 teams with the only wins listed above. I know our strength of schedule wasn't great and we had two bad losses in there but for them to be 60 spots ahead based on what they've done makes no sense. We have a win over number 71 ETSU and 7 D1 wins. Don't get me wrong I definitely don't think we've earned the right to be at 113, I just sure as hell don't think ORU has, that's what's throwing me off.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings

NDSU ranked 333 out of 363... holy sh*t bad...
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post

Hi Mike Mcfooly & Brain Shawnee . (they both tweet this at 9:13am after seeing it here)

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Worst in the Summit League by a significant margin (next worst is UND @ 267). Ouch

333 seems generous

305!!! just ahead of VMI & MARIST

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Former conference teams IUPUI and Oakland both struggling this year also.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

lol ndsu loses 2 games and stays at 305.

basically this is the bottom, we can't go any lower because they are all swac or wac crap teams below us