Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Montana State GDT

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Montana State GDT

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Yeah I just don't get it, 13,000 undergrad students, 2,200 or so of which are freshman on campus, how we can't get at least 500 students to every game perplexes me. It's free, it's an activity to do with friends and it can be as fun as you make it. I had a blast going to games while I was in college for the same reasons as above.
    How every freshman doesn't look forward to the college athletics experience is beyond me.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    How every freshman doesn't look forward to the college athletics experience is beyond me.
    Like I get that sports aren't EVERYBODY's thing but a lot of these kids come from small schools where sports are always the big social event, how that doesn't transition to college is just weird. But to be fair I completely lost touch with this generation of students when they started eating Tide pods so obviously we don't know what's cool anymore

Like I get that sports aren't EVERYBODY's thing but a lot of these kids come from small schools where sports are always the big social event, how that doesn't transition to college is just weird. But to be fair I completely lost touch with this generation of students when they started eating Tide pods so obviously we don't know what's cool anymore
    Eating Tide pods is a thing? I’m no MD but I don’t think that’s how you’re supposed to do a “cleanse”.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Listening to Sirus 80's on 8 Monday night on the way home from the BB game, on came Alabama "If you're Gonna Play in Texas". Kind of fitting song to start the week after a win vs Montana St.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Going off campus killed the student support, going to basketball games was a thing back when I was a student and we made the BSA a tough place to play. Sad to see the state of things, not sure how to fix it. It was a mistake to give the students garbage seats in my opinion but that is what it is. Now there aren't enough students at the game to warrant giving them back anyway.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Eating Tide pods is a thing? I’m no MD but I don’t think that’s how you’re supposed to do a “cleanse”.
    Pretty sure it will get the job done though.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Going off campus killed the student support, going to basketball games was a thing back when I was a student and we made the BSA a tough place to play. Sad to see the state of things, not sure how to fix it. It was a mistake to give the students garbage seats in my opinion but that is what it is. Now there aren't enough students at the game to warrant giving them back anyway.
    But they served alcohol????? Guess that shoots that down as an attractant to come to the games.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I'm not sure the seats should really matter, you look at a lot of college facilities and the student seats are on the ends. Not to mention they are free, premium seats should go to those paying for them. I get it's been about 12 years now but we used to pack the student section of the BSA and stand the whole game other than for the timeouts. It was so much fun, now what few students do show up seem to just sit on their phones most of the game and don't even pay attention. I'm not sure what the solution is either but the engagement just isn't there

I'm not sure the seats should really matter, you look at a lot of college facilities and the student seats are on the ends. Not to mention they are free, premium seats should go to those paying for them. I get it's been about 12 years now but we used to pack the student section of the BSA and stand the whole game other than for the timeouts. It was so much fun, now what few students do show up seem to just sit on their phones most of the game and don't even pay attention. I'm not sure what the solution is either but the engagement just isn't there
    The only thing close to a solution is to win. Say what you will about the students at football games leaving at halftime but at least they're engaged while they're there. That's the best we can hope for these days.

A potential but difficult solution is to get a recognizable P5 team into the SHAC (like K-State in '06 - or whenever that was) and promote the hell out of it with the students. Show them what a full and engaged student section can be like. I realize getting that game scheduled is easier said than done but if the AD wants to build the student support they may have to sink some money into it and schedule a P5 for a 2 for 1 and make some additional concessions in order to make it happen.