Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Quarterfinals: Illinois State

Default Re: 2019 Quarterfinals: Illinois State

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

I've never (in the last 5 years) said "this is the worst officiated game I've ever seen" because I'll never forget how horrible the crew was in that 2014 2nd round game between NDSU and SDSU. And I'll never forget that was the CAA crew. There were numerous ticky tack inconsistent calls but the worst was the umpire claiming that a Wentz slant to Vraa was tipped therefore the PI flag should be picked up. They ended up reviewing it and seeing that the only SDSU defender even near the pass was at least 4 feet away from tipping the ball so they ended up "reinstating" the penalty after review... they also had all sorts of issues with the game clock throughout the game and especially at the end of the game and totally destroyed the game flow multiple times.

Please oh please let this crew have a better game than that one did.

On a related note I say this every single time the Bison match up with an MVFC team but why can't they send the MVFC All-Star crew when there's an all-MVFC matchup in the playoffs? I'm sure they want a neutral conference crew when teams from different conferences are matching up in the playoffs but when it's team in the same conference it would be easier for the players and coaches who are familiar with the officials and their general style of officiating and easier for the officiating crew that's familiar with the teams' styles of play which would lead to a better played and better flowing game.

Be my guest I'd say. Force them to do that... if they throw the ball 20 times they will not win and they'll probably turn it over a couple times on strip sacks or INTs.
    Feels like a post Indy should weigh-in on...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Totally agree on using conference crew for playoff conference matchups. Makes perfect sense.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I've never (in the last 5 years) said "this is the worst officiated game I've ever seen" because I'll never forget how horrible the crew was in that 2014 2nd round game between NDSU and SDSU. And I'll never forget that was the CAA crew. There were numerous ticky tack inconsistent calls but the worst was the umpire claiming that a Wentz slant to Vraa was tipped therefore the PI flag should be picked up. They ended up reviewing it and seeing that the only SDSU defender even near the pass was at least 4 feet away from tipping the ball so they ended up "reinstating" the penalty after review... they also had all sorts of issues with the game clock throughout the game and especially at the end of the game and totally destroyed the game flow multiple times.

Please oh please let this crew have a better game than that one did.

On a related note I say this every single time the Bison match up with an MVFC team but why can't they send the MVFC All-Star crew when there's an all-MVFC matchup in the playoffs? I'm sure they want a neutral conference crew when teams from different conferences are matching up in the playoffs but when it's team in the same conference it would be easier for the players and coaches who are familiar with the officials and their general style of officiating and easier for the officiating crew that's familiar with the teams' styles of play which would lead to a better played and better flowing game.

Be my guest I'd say. Force them to do that... if they throw the ball 20 times they will not win and they'll probably turn it over a couple times on strip sacks or INTs.
    The crews in the MVFC would completely agree with that but for very selfish reasons! They want to work playoff games! When your conference is playing you can't officiate it so that has made it very hard for MVFC crews to get playoff games. There only 2 quarterfinal games Big Sky crews can work and there's a chance they could be in both semi-finals and the finals. They could have had the #1 crew in the first 2 rounds of the tournament and only eligible to work 2 of the final 7 games. The MVFC hasn't had a crew work the national championship in like 10 or 12 years. The last 8 years for obvious reasons.

For some reason D2 REQUIRES a conference crew to be used for playoff games if both teams are from the same conference. FCS, D3, and NAIA don't allow it. Not exactly sure why. There was some hope the MVFC would get assigned the year NDSU played Illinois State but it didn't happen.

As for the ISUr QB, I officiated one of his first HS starts his sophomore year. He looked like a freak athlete warming up and the head coach told me he was visiting Notre Dame the next day. He had a horrible game because he had no OL and was scrambling every play. They lost 30-14. I had him again his senior year and they won huge. He also had 2 receivers who are now playing at Iowa, but he was a good runner too. He obviously didn't develop to a player at Notre Dame's level, but I expect he could be a very good FCS QB. Time will tell. He's only a redshirt freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The crews in the MVFC would completely agree with that but for very selfish reasons! They want to work playoff games! When your conference is playing you can't officiate it so that has made it very hard for MVFC crews to get playoff games. There only 2 quarterfinal games Big Sky crews can work and there's a chance they could be in both semi-finals and the finals. They could have had the #1 crew in the first 2 rounds of the tournament and only eligible to work 2 of the final 7 games. The MVFC hasn't had a crew work the national championship in like 10 or 12 years. The last 8 years for obvious reasons.

For some reason D2 REQUIRES a conference crew to be used for playoff games if both teams are from the same conference. FCS, D3, and NAIA don't allow it. Not exactly sure why. There was some hope the MVFC would get assigned the year NDSU played Illinois State but it didn't happen.

As for the ISUr QB, I officiated one of his first HS starts his sophomore year. He looked like a freak athlete warming up and the head coach told me he was visiting Notre Dame the next day. He had a horrible game because he had no OL and was scrambling every play. They lost 30-14. I had him again his senior year and they won huge. He also had 2 receivers who are now playing at Iowa, but he was a good runner too. He obviously didn't develop to a player at Notre Dame's level, but I expect he could be a very good FCS QB. Time will tell. He's only a redshirt freshman.
    D2 has it right IMO. No reason to think there will be any advantage to either team to have their own conference's officiating crew when both teams are from the same conference. Send the MVFC crew to Fargo and the Big Sky crew to Ogden. Find neutral conference officials for the other two games.

They have 2 crews from each conference designated for playoff assignments right? So had Sac St won they could've had a Big Sky crew for both of those all-Big Sky quarterfinals.

D2 has it right IMO. No reason to think there will be any advantage to either team to have their own conference's officiating crew when both teams are from the same conference. Send the MVFC crew to Fargo and the Big Sky crew to Ogden. Find neutral conference officials for the other two games.

They have 2 crews from each conference designated for playoff assignments right? So had Sac St won they could've had a Big Sky crew for both of those all-Big Sky quarterfinals.
    Just think of the savings in travel costs NCAA! Shorter plane trips instead of flying refs clear across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonLaw View Post
    CAA refs this week.
    Why the hell can't they let an MVFC crew do a playoff game between 2 MVFC teams? That just seems logical to me. They are familiar with the teams and their playing style. Should be a no brainer but the NCAA can't get the simplest shit right.

Guess I should have kept reading. Sounds like we are all in agreement about the refs. NCAA really should look at changing this at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Just think of the savings in travel costs NCAA! Shorter plane trips instead of flying refs clear across the country.
    Hell, I'd even put the white hat and a couple others up at my house for free if they want to save money.... just have to get my waterboarding room ready.

Watched Izzos video today.
    Did the team grow their mustaches this year?
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Illinois State’s offense is a mess without Robinson. Holy smokes their qb struggles with catching shotgun snaps and handoffs.

They only completed two passes in the first half against SEMO.

Follow Robinson around with Jabril and blitz all day
    There is no secret in what The Redbirds do. Run the football and play good defense. They have had little to no success in the passing game. I believe in their last two conference games they went over 60 minutes, the 2nd half against Misery St. and the 1st half against YSU without completing a foreword pass!
    It's hard to see a one dimensional team beating the Bison.