Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Quarterfinals: Illinois State

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2019 Quarterfinals: Illinois State

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Listening to the Kolpack and Izzo podcast for this game. Pretty funny. Izzo is saying how this game will be close, is concerned about the Bison slow starts the last two games, how good Robinson is, how Spack will have tricks up his sleeve. And Kolpack is shutting him down arguing the fact that the Redbirds haven’t beaten anyone good in the playoffs this year, that having no qb that can throw and running Robinson on every play will not beat the Bison. Pretty funny. I totally agree with Kolpack.
    I can see both angles here...my only thing is you never know what’s gonna happen when it’s a conference game.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    I can see both angles here...my only thing is you never know what’s gonna happen when it’s a conference game.
    Especially in a rematch of a conference game.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I just don't see anything other than a comfortable Bison win. I think we got that first playoff game out of the way for a lot of young players, and I don't think they may play as tight (although I think Nicholls really played a pretty solid game against us). One dimensional just doesn't beat the Bison. Is anyone talking about the ISUr defense at all? I know Robinson will get some yards, but will they be on the field enough if NDSU controls TOP? The one time we saw the Bison get beat at or near this point in the FFD during the playoffs was to JMU. Remember how they did it? Balanced passing (veteran QB) and rushing attack (that RB was a baller), and a defense that really gave our coaching staff and Easton fits all day. Just don't see ISUr bringing anything close to that this weekend.

Bison 34
    Redbirds 13

Go Bison!
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Jump on them early is paramount. Don't let up. Last week we punted from 37 first drive. enough of that sh.t Go for it on 4th and 2 and show them our dominance ASAP and end this game by halftime.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Would be nice to see the D stop the run for a change. After a month of routinely giving up twice as many yards on the ground as you typically see out of championship defenses I'd like to see if they can do it. If you can't do it when you know their ability to throw is subpar I'd say that's a bad sign of things to come.

This one is going to be a blowout. I can't really envision a scenario where this game is 20+ points.

Quote Originally Posted by Belter View Post
    Would be nice to see the D stop the run for a change. After a month of routinely giving up twice as many yards on the ground as you typically see out of championship defenses I'd like to see if they can do it. If you can't do it when you know their ability to throw is subpar I'd say that's a bad sign of things to come.
    Yeah, I'd agree with this. The run defense is about the only thing about this team that gives me the heebie-jeebies (well, except maybe the FG kicking but I think that'll be far less prominent of an issue). I'm still not sure whether it's due to weaknesses at DT and LB or just because they've been so committed to the Tampa 2 philosophy of giving up yards between the 20s if necessary but no or very few points.

I'd assume if there is a week to break those Tampa 2 tendencies this would be the week. Dare Jefferson to throw the ball. I actually think Illinois St might come out of the gate looking to throw the ball since they'll have to know that in order to beat NDSU they're going to have to throw the ball some and what better time to do it than right away when everyone will be expecting them to feed Robinson? What have they got to lose? If I were them I'd play to win instead of playing to keep it close because it makes no difference if they lose by 3 or 33.

That said if I was Braun or Entz I would love to see them come out with that strategy because I'd have confidence in my pass defense and pass rush to force the young QB into some mistakes or at the very least get them behind the chains early in the game. That strategy could get ISUr blown out just as easily if not moreso as it could get them off to a fast start but, like I said, they've got nothing to lose trying it. Does the stache have a little "Riverboat Stiggy" in him???

Quote Originally Posted by Belter View Post
    Since you're new here I'm going to take a moment and let you know that NDSU is 13-0 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Especially in a rematch of a conference game.
    well in the 5 playoff rematch conference games NDSU is 5-0 and increased the point margin from the regular season game by 14 points... so I think we do know... going by that NDSU should win by 47 point..

I think our run D is fine. I think the strategy has been to shut down the pass and if the other team wants to run 12 times and kick a field goal and waste 8 minutes on the clock. then so be it.. We come back and score in 3 plays..