Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicholls Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: Nicholls Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    My guess: JMU is going to give the Bison fits if they meet in the Natty, and it will be a tough game, a hard fought game.

JMU has become a scoring machine the last month, and they are doing it with a power run game, which eventually tires out the opponent and leads to domination by the fourth quarter.
    That said, NDSU's running game averages 300 ypg, while JMU averages 250 ypg - so NDSU's power running game might do the same to them. On passing they are pretty close, JMU having a slight edge. I would not be surprised if JMUs stats the second half of the season are better than the first half. Let's see how they fare against UNI - an MVFC defense.

Defensively - NDSU edges JMU (12 points/game versus about 16).

Overall, both offensively and defensively, they have similar stats, and perhaps similar styles of play. This game might boil down to conditioning (who still has stamina in the 4th quarter), a good or bad break here or there, turnovers, penalties, and special teams.
    If we played tomorrow Id take JMU

BisonHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Teams have been able to run against us but so far the yards have not been points. Bend don't break has gotten us to a perfect season. I love our team and won't say one complaint real or imagined. They just keep handing out ass whoopings.
    you mess with the ^Bison^ you get the horns

I left the Fargodome happy to win but unsatisfied with the performance. After thinking about it for the last 12 hours, I’m starting to wonder what is wrong with me. The Bison whipped a damn good opponent.

We weren’t lucky. They had 17 yards of offense in the 4th. We had like 150.

Oddly, I’ve bitched about undisciplined play leading to penalties. I didn’t see that today (Volson) UC being the exception. Blocking penalties on ST are epidemic at every level of the game.

Our punt returner is very reliable and is a weapon. Especially when the opponent’s punter is weak. Nicholls punter was horrible. Maybe the worst I’ve seen this year. Low line drive kicks.

Interior D Line is maybe our weakest link. Not bad, just average. However, not many teams can pound the inside run against us and turn it into points. They scored exactly ONE TD and it was on a perfect throw and catch by a freak athlete at WR.

I’m not into score comparisons. Big deal. We always lose those mathematical masturbation matchups because scoring tons of points after the outcome is no longer in doubt is not our style. Regardless of the HC.

Crosa coming back will “fix” our kicking game in terms of reliability. Not a lot of range but Damn accurate. I can live with that.

Saturday should be fun but another MVFC opponent is a slight disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked like Volson may have gotten poked in the eye prior to his UC.

Reffing was difficult to adjust to- were letting a lot of holding go then started hitting NDSU with some ticky tac.

If the early drives end with points Nicholls would have needed to open up more earlier and different ball game.

Good teams out play the other team and difficult reffing. this team is talented enough to take care of business. Discipline vs aggressiveness is a fine line. More concerns if I see false start/encroachment add up.

Play style discipline is to be a learned thing, and hope that is there when they face a better team and poor reffing.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

With the way the dt are playing it really makes the Quinn Alo move to guard more puzzling. I know it was only mop up duty but I thought he did a decent job during mop up duty at dt last year. He held his ground out there you could see it. Little bowling ball. Now he plays a little mop up guard? Maybe he's just a hard working kid who doesn't really have the tools to be a D1 athlete but I was expecting to see him play a little defense this year. Seems like s run stopper to this fool. Definitely doesn't have the size for o line.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by I miss Chubs View Post
    Looked like Volson may have gotten poked in the eye prior to his UC.

Reffing was difficult to adjust to- were letting a lot of holding go then started hitting NDSU with some ticky tac.

If the early drives end with points Nicholls would have needed to open up more earlier and different ball game.

Good teams out play the other team and difficult reffing. this team is talented enough to take care of business. Discipline vs aggressiveness is a fine line. More concerns if I see false start/encroachment add up.

Play style discipline is to be a learned thing, and hope that is there when they face a better team and poor reffing.

I saw the eye poked too - looked he got a finger right in there. Still got to contain your temper or at least if you are going to retaliate right in front of the ref try to make the ref look away first.

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN View Post
    When we hit the tough competition these penalties, undisciplined play, kicking game and Entz not holding the team accountable for penalties is going to hurt us. This is not how the teams played under either Bohl or Coach K.
    Two things to keep in mind (among others no doubt):
    1 - This is a very youthful team
    2 - Under Matt Entz they are 13-0

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    I saw the eye poked too - looked he got a finger right in there. Still got to contain your temper or at least if you are going to retaliate right in front of the ref try to make the ref look away first.
    He almost had his helmet ripped off in the process too.

It's easy to say "don't retaliate", but "fight or flight" kicks in some of these cases of unexpected pain so my idea of equipping Volson with a smoke bomb* probably wouldn't work.

Smoke Bomb Plan
    1. Issue Volson with a smoke bomb
    2. He takes a cheap shot that really hurts
    3. *smoke bomb*
    4. Smoke clears to reveal that justice was served

Never felt like that game was in danger of being lost. It was frustrating watching it stay as close for as long as it did, but always felt like NDSU would blow it open like they eventually did. Congrats to the Colonials (and the refs) for keeping it close for as long as they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Seems to be universal(even from Indy) that the Nicholls kid got screwed. The Cox hit was much closer to being targeting, but there was one angle that showed he was putting his shoulder into the hit and not leading with the helmet. There was some helmet-to-helmet contact, but it was glancing. One of those cases where different camera angles showed very different things.
    There is no question in my mind that the Nicolls kid was guilty of nothing at all. He got completely screwed. The Cox hit was a little closer but again to my eye he was trying to lead with his right shoulder but given the angle of the contact there was some helmet to helmet contact. That said the crown of Brillo's helmet did not make contact, only the side and it was not enough to jolt the Nicolls players head sideways. I would have been just as incensed about a targeting call there as I was for the one on Nicolls.