Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New college football playoff rule??

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: New college football playoff rule??

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Can’t pick the best 4 teams objectively.

Either take only conference champions or increase the field to a minimum of 8 teams. No other options make sense.

Alabama has played 2 ranked teams and lost to both. With a win last night, I think they would have been in for no other reason than SEC bias.
    I like this idea, only because it would eventually lead to an increase in the number of playoff teams which I've been screaming for since the beginning.

Get a real 24 team fcs championship with autobids and at large. How neat is that?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Can’t pick the best 4 teams objectively.

Either take only conference champions or increase the field to a minimum of 8 teams. No other options make sense.

Alabama has played 2 ranked teams and lost to both. With a win last night, I think they would have been in for no other reason than SEC bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is it really SEC bias when they have performed the way they have on the big stage?

Hard to argue with their results.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    It should be the best four teams. Period.

The conference championships are not the playoffs.
    What are they then? Glorified bowl games?

It’s one thing for basketball to play largely meaningless conference tournaments with a 40 game schedule and a 68 team tournament. Every game should count in football.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Is it really SEC bias when they have performed the way they have on the big stage?

When you put 2 SEC teams in the final 4 every fricken year, they should have a team in the final often.

A 4 team playoff that starts with an assumption that some conference champions are unworthy is a bogus system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't care about the FBS playoffs. I think they are doing damage to the essence of college football which is local fans, tailgating, rivalries, and conferences. I don't want FBS to be like the NFL. The national media is only paying attention to things that have a national interest. Makes sense for them. But I don't have to care about it. Extending the FBS playoffs will further diminish the role of conferences unless you have a rule like this that increases the value of conference championships.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    It should be the best four teams. Period.

The conference championships are not the playoffs.
    Respectfully disagree. If a team isn't good enough to make it's own conference's championship game, then it shouldn't be considered for the NCAA championship.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post

If you look at Alabama's schedule though, it's really really bad.
    Duke
    Southern Mississippi
    New Mexico State
    Arkansas
    South Carolina
    Texas A&M
    Tennessee
    Ole Miss
    Mississippi State
    Western Carolina

That doesn't look any better to me than a G5 schedule. Tennessee lost to Georgia State. Arkansas was destroyed by Western Kentucky. South Carolina is 4-8.

If App State or any other G5 school had the same record against those opponents, they wouldn't be ranked in the top 25.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

Georgia's loss is to a 4-8 team.
    Baylor's loss is to an 11-1 team.
    Oklahoma's loss is to an 8-4 team.
    Utah's loss is to an 8-4 team.

But SEC SEC SEC. The bias is frustrating. It's sort of the equivalent of people saying the CAA is still the best FCS conference. Remember how Clemson destroyed Alabama last year? The game wasn't close - Roll Tide didn't even score in the last 44 minutes of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    Respectfully disagree. If a team isn't good enough to make it's own conference's championship game, then it shouldn't be considered for the NCAA championship.
    Hail the BISON!!!