Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New college football playoff rule??

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default New college football playoff rule??

First let me say I am an all offense all the time kind of football fan. I have grown to love our defense as shutouts are just as exciting as scoring 50+. After watching too much Alabama the last few weeks I would like a rule change:

If you give up 40+ points twice in a season in regulation you are automatically ineligible for the playoffs. Think about the possibilities a team like a 7-5 Wyoming still has a chance to be in the final four but Oklahoma is out after three weeks.

My point: you want to be considered the best team in the nation PLAY SOME DEFENSE

Default Re: New college football playoff rule??

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    First let me say I am an all offense all the time kind of football fan. I have grown to love our defense as shutouts are just as exciting as scoring 50+. After watching too much Alabama the last few weeks I would like a rule change:

If you give up 40+ points twice in a season in regulation you are automatically ineligible for the playoffs. Think about the possibilities a team like a 7-5 Wyoming still has a chance to be in the final four but Oklahoma is out after three weeks.

My point: you want to be considered the best team in the nation PLAY SOME DEFENSE
    I think they should start with the no Conference Champion means no CFP for any team. Alabama got away with this twice and nearly did it again this year.
    Hail the BISON!!!

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    Defense wouldn't be improved. You would see offenses run heavy and burn the play clock if there was a chance of them giving up 40 points.
    Think about the possibilities a team like a 7-5 Wyoming still has a chance to be in the final four but Oklahoma is out after three weeks.
    This would not make college football better. I don't know how you figure a 7-5 team would have a chance to make the CFP.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I think they should start with the no Conference Champion means no CFP for any team. Alabama got away with this twice and nearly did it again this year.
    what did Alabama get away with?

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    Defense wouldn't be improved. You would see offenses run heavy and burn the play clock if there was a chance of them giving up 40 points.

This would not make college football better. I don't know how you figure a 7-5 team would have a chance to make the CFP.

what did Alabama get away with?
    Alabama got into the Championship Game/CFP without having to play in their conference's Championship Game. Both times they played and beat the team that won their Conference Championship Game in the National Championship Game. Basically, they got awarded a bye for losing in the regular season.
    Hail the BISON!!!

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

To the original post, fuck no.

There was an interesting question asked during ESPN Radios College Gameday this morning, if Clemson were to lose to South Carolina, the same team that beat Georgia, would you still have them in the playoff because of how they had been beating other teams up to this point. I think that Clemson still does not have a top 25 win this year. To me the answer is no, part of being in the playoff has to been eye-test which Clemson would pass, but the other part is resume. The host basically gave them a pass saying it's not their fault the teams they played haven't been good, to which I would say how is that any different than a G5 school going undefeated but playing lesser competition. The G5 school can't help who they are playing week-in and week-out, but you know they aren't getting a seat at the playoff table.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Absolutely, I've been saying this for years. If you're only going to allow 4 teams, a conference title should be a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Absolutely, I've been saying this for years. If you're only going to allow 4 teams, a conference title should be a requirement.
    I agree. They should be de facto quarterfinals.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

It should be the best four teams. Period.

The conference championships are not the playoffs.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    It should be the best four teams. Period.

The conference championships are not the playoffs.
    Can’t pick the best 4 teams objectively.

Either take only conference champions or increase the field to a minimum of 8 teams. No other options make sense.

Alabama has played 2 ranked teams and lost to both. With a win last night, I think they would have been in for no other reason than SEC bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The transitive property does not exist in football.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."