Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU's Best Goal Line Stands

Default Re: NDSU's Best Goal Line Stands

Not sure which year. Wofford-Breitenstein late in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pep Band View Post
    He gets it...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

SafeTeeJ is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    As much as I love goal-line stands, I don't have much of a memory about particular ones.

That said, the goal line stand against SIU on Saturday has to be one of the best. SIU had 1st and goal from the 5 and one of the best runners in the FCS. Our defense had given up 58 yards on 5 straight SIU carries - maybe they were getting tired or (more probably) maybe they were playing pass defense because it was a whole different defense at the 5. Heck, I could loop that last stop on Javon Williams (Hankey low and Jimmy Football cleaning up the play) for an hour before getting (temporarily) tired of it.

The only other one I have a pretty good memory of was the one against Portland State in the 1988 Championship game (1st and goal at the 2) - even so I can't remember who made the stops, just that it seemed like they tried to run the QB wide on the last attempt (it might have even tried an option play.) Let's just say that if I had to pick from that QB and any QB NDSU has had over the last 50 seasons, he'd have been my last pick for that kind of play. And running an option or option-like play against the 1988 Bison who practiced against it every day? Genius!

So what other goal line stands do you people remember?

Portland State Natl Champ Game goal line stop. Players mainly involved were Snuffy Byers, Paul Briggs, Paul Lenz, and our very own CAS. Aka “Chuck”
    "The bird is in your hand"

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan 17 View Post
    Not sure which year. Wofford-Breitenstein late in the game.
    2012. Breitenstein was a truck but it was Grant Olson who stopped Donovan Johnson on the 6 as part of his epic 28 or 29 tackles.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Wasn't on the goal line but it was goal line defense against SHSU in the first D1 natty game. The Bison fumbled inside their own territory mid-1st quarter when they were still tied at 0 and on the ensuing series SHSU had a 4th and about 2 inches where they tried to QB sneak with little Brian Bell and got stoned!

Sequence starts here: https://youtu.be/2FKkmPOzjDk?t=29m56s

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    THIS IS IT. BRANDON JEMISON AND TRAVIS BECK AMAZING

Hence the term “Georgia Southern Loud.”

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Sean Fredericks had one late in his career (98-99?) at home that was very similar to James Hendricks on Saturday. Sorry too long ago to remember more specifics than that

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

And immediately after that 4th down stop against Georgia Southern, Sam Ojuri rattled off like a 40 yard run on the first play from scrimmage to get the Bison away from their own goal line.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    THIS IS IT. BRANDON JEMISON AND TRAVIS BECK AMAZING

Whip it out! Go Bison! I knew Travis Beck had to be involved in a goal line stand somewhere.

Lardsin must go!

Sort of recalled that GSU game 1 semifinal one. I don't know if I'd consider SHSU one a goal line stand per se being it was 30 yard line. There have been numerous 4th and shorts where you think all the QB has to do is sneak it somehow for 12-16 inches. You can see Bell must of have even used a couple hard counts as NDSU guys twitch jumped a couple times and they still pulled off stuffing the OL. Someone should go back and find the stats on how many 4th down stops NDSU has done in playoffs since 2010. I know there have been numerous ones of those.