Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT: vs. Stony Brook - Islander Invitational Championship

Default Re: GDT: vs. Stony Brook - Islander Invitational Championship

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Shooting from the line and behind the arc has just not been good this year so far.
    Agree, this team is not shooting to its capabilities. Also need to do a much better job defending the ball, getting beat off the dribble to much. Stony Brook is a fine team but this is a game NDSU needs to win if they want to be the team they think they are. Wish Harden-Hayes got some more minutes he was active and doing some nice things, need to build some confidence in the freshman. He is a kid that can help this team.

Stony Brook. 3-2 coming in and lost to Yale who was 0-2 in D1 play.

you wanna be a legit team, you coast thru this tourney with 20 point wins.

stony brook. wow
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Listened to a good chunk of the 2nd half on the radio and looking at the box score this team is just lost offensively it seems. It's been a recurring theme with Richman teams where they might as well just sit out by halfcourt holding the ball early in the shot clock. Once the shot clock gets under 10 it seems like they finally get some fire in their ass to attack the rim and in plenty of cases good things happen. 22 missed 3s and only 9 FTs attempted.... waaaay too much settling. This teams need to attack the rim with the way they're shooting the ball. They will not win the Summit League playing this kind of basketball.

We are what we are. A jump shooting team, if the shots aren't falling it is going to be grind against average teams and a struggle against better competition. This is the style that we have chose to live and die by.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

ThunderDan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Stony Brook. 3-2 coming in and lost to Yale who was 0-2 in D1 play.

you wanna be a legit team, you coast thru this tourney with 20 point wins.

stony brook. wow
    Yep, this tourney was full of joke teams. Any real team would have cruised through easily. Any decent mid major would have crushed all these teams easily

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Yep, this tourney was full of joke teams. Any real team would have cruised through easily. Any decent mid major would have crushed all these teams easily
    get ready for 18-10 (well 20-10 with 2 naia wins) the press/school touts it as a successful year with a successful coach. maybe we win 2 games at summit, maybe we win 3 and lose in 1st round of ncaa's. finish 21-11 and it'll be Wash, Rinse, Repeat for 4 more years with an extension?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    We are what we are. A jump shooting team, if the shots aren't falling it is going to be grind against average teams and a struggle against better competition. This is the style that we have chose to live and die by.
    Yep, it’s Richman’s MO (really as it should be) and it’s the life of a mid-major. All the talented 6’8” kids go to high majors and the mid majors are left with finding guards that have a chance to win a game or two in the tournament. We’ll be playing basketball roulette the rest of the year. If we’re on we can smoke almost anyone, if we’re off we can lose to almost anyone. Good news is that it’s early in the year and shooters (like we saw last year) are the last to get in the swing of things.

It is what it is

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Another ugly offensive performance, for the most part we are getting good shots and they just aren't falling. The problem is sloppy play, too many turnovers by traveling, senseless offensive fouls with our guys driving into traffic with no plan and lazy passes that don't set the next guy up for success when he gets the ball. I agree that we should've won each of these games by around 20 points, we have the talent to do so, right now we just aren't playing well offensively. Hopeful we can get that turned around. The encouraging part is that I feel like we played fairly well defensively most of the tournament and we rebounded fairly well. I think in some of these low scoring games Maleeck needs more minutes, he really brings another level of energy and is a good scrappy rebounder on the offensive end. He got an offensive rebound on a missed FT in this game and I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen anyone on our team do that.

Transition defense has not been real good. We do not get many fast break points and we give up 10-12 of them. That is a big difference and just another thing to improve on.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    You can still be a jump shooting team and attack the basket, even before the shot clock gets down under 10. They don't seem to want to or aren't able to do that. That's the source of my frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Another ugly offensive performance, for the most part we are getting good shots and they just aren't falling. The problem is sloppy play, too many turnovers by traveling, senseless offensive fouls with our guys driving into traffic with no plan and lazy passes that don't set the next guy up for success when he gets the ball. I agree that we should've won each of these games by around 20 points, we have the talent to do so, right now we just aren't playing well offensively. Hopeful we can get that turned around. The encouraging part is that I feel like we played fairly well defensively most of the tournament and we rebounded fairly well. I think in some of these low scoring games Maleeck needs more minutes, he really brings another level of energy and is a good scrappy rebounder on the offensive end. He got an offensive rebound on a missed FT in this game and I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen anyone on our team do that.
    I don't mind the offensive fouls. At least it shows some aggressiveness. But you're right that too many times the driver lets the defense off the hook with a sloppy pass or the guys whose defenders are helping on the driver aren't making themselves available to the driver. Too much standing and watching by the 4 guys on the court without the ball against man defenses. Griesel moves really well without the ball... not sure anyone else does.