Thread: Purdue Dual

Default Purdue Dual

NDSU takes on Purdue at 1pm today in the SHAC.

Purdue is ranked in the lower part of the top 25, but they're probably ranked a bit too low. They have some really impressive young talent and Travis Ford-Melton may get his redshirt pulled today, which would be a good test for Sykora.

I don't expect us to win this dual, and I think it is more likely to get ugly than for us to win, but we do have a chance. Some combination of 5 wins at 125, 133, 141, 149, 157, 165, 197, and HWT with bonus at 133 and maybe HWT would probably get it done. That being said, of those previously mentioned, Purdue is favored at 125, 141, 149 (If Parriot is in the lineup. Being he is from MN, I would expect to see him in action. If they go with Limmex, I think it's a tossup.), and 157.

Default Re: Purdue Dual

Purdue off to a 6-0 lead after winning 141 and 149. NDSU has a super small chance to win now.

#7 kendall coleman beats franek 8-6 in overtime.

Fogarty with a 8-0 major decision over the #24 ranked guy.

Bison lost 22-12 to Purdue. 157 and 197 both went to overtime and Purdue won both of them, which was the difference in the dual. My thoughts:
    125- Schroeder is good, but I don't think Midkiff was anywhere near peak form. Pretty big change from getting the td at the end of the second to giving it up. Also thought he bailed too early on the 2nd takedown (may not have been the second). I'm still hopefull he'll be an NCAA qualifier, but the B12 is deep at 125 and has a lot of quality.
    133- Cam looked solid. He squared off against an overmatched opponent and did what he should.
    141- Degen wrestled pretty poorly IMO. This was his first match of the year where he was completely outclassed (Mitch McKee match excluded). If he falls behind by multiple scores, it will be near impossible for him to come back with his limited attacks.
    149- Very flat first two periods for JVM. Parriot is really good and JVM wrestled better in the third, but he was never in this match. Need to see some attacks out of him.
    157- Franek wrestled really well and probably should have won against the #7 wrestler in the country. He has been a big bright spot early.
    165- Fogarty looked outstanding again.
    174- Brenner was far too tentative. Lydy is very good, but Brenner was just out there to not lose by a ton. Need to believe in your abilities and pull the trigger.
    184- IMO, worst match of the day for NDSU. Lyon is solid, but I don't view him as near an AA, but he looked like a national title contender vs Pottinger. Shot defense was very poor and he had no offense again in this one. Seeing some definite areas for improvement early on here.
    197- I thought Eaton wrestled relatively poorly. With that said, he still made it to OT. I was hoping we'd see a big step from Cordell this year, but the first two duals haven't shown it.
    HWT- Metz had another smart, efficient match. Only qualm was with his riding, or lack thereof. Regardless, he seems to have really improved his situational awareness this year and looks significantly improved.

Overall, pretty flat performance at home. I thought Fogarty, Franek, Metz, and Sykora all wrestled well. Outside of them, I thought everyone wrestled subpar. You have to wonder if Droegemuller will get a shot at 141, or if Cressell gets a start at 184. Outside of those, I think you have to hope De La Riva gets healthy and looks good at 174 while everyone else steps their game up.

Northwestern and Indiana won't be pushovers this weekend either.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Thanks for the recap. What do you think Franek's ceiling is at NDSU? It seems like he easily has the potential for multiple AA's. Anyways, he is exciting to watch.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was just happy to be able to watch it on TV. Some of the guys looked a little flat but Fogarty, Metz and Sykora looked really good. The dual was a lot closer than the score shows.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Thanks for the recap. What do you think Franek's ceiling is at NDSU? It seems like he easily has the potential for multiple AA's. Anyways, he is exciting to watch.
    That really is the question of the day.

He is putting up much better results than last year, and is being exposed to higher level competition. I think he has All American potential for sure, but I'm skeptical he'll be a true title contender down the line. This year, 157 is fairly deep talent pool but lacking a ton of guaranteed All Americans, and would put Franek's AA chances this year at 25%. He's looked great so far, but we just don't have enough data/matches to go higher and would need to see the NCAA bracket.

157 is absolutely loaded with high impact young talent. I'm a big fan of David Carr from Iowa State and would have a hard time envisioning Franek knocking him off. I think Carr will be a multiple time national champion. Will Lewan, Jacori Teemer, and Coleman are all high impact great freshman at the weight too, but I could see Franek beating these guys some of the time. I also expect Brayton Lee to be at 157 eventually, and he is world class as well.

I'm happy that we got to see some leg attacks from Metz. I get nervous when he sets up throws, although I wouldn't have minded seeing one this time with the team point situation.

I wish that Cordell would be a little more patient with some of the shots he takes. There are so many times that he shoots straight on, and then gets stuck in a position where he really can't score, but he can use up a lot of energy.

It's nice to see Sykora and Fogerty off to a nice start. We need to get these guys some hype videos, like when they had the "On the Brink" series for Monk.