Page 61 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Verbal: Trey Lance

Default Re: Trey Lance Starting QB according to El Chapo...

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    He still reads just half the field. Hes missed a bunch of opportunities.
    I don't know if he really "misses" them. Rarely has he forced throws into windows that haven't been open or that he can't hit. There have been other options that have been more open but it's likely those were further down his progression.

I do think the coaches are setting him up for success by only asking so much from him, but he's been outstanding with the options and freedom they've given him. His zero interceptions are insane and due in large part with how careful he's been with his throwing decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Wow some of you need to slow your roll. You got him as the #1 overall pick as a junior already?
    No, redshirt sophomore

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Hes a RFr. Damn people give him a little time to learn. He does usually concentrate on only 1/2 of the field but give him a year before bitching about him. What more can the guy do for you besides win every game in a year we all though would be a down year. Relax people relax.....

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUSR View Post
    Hes a RFr. Damn people give him a little time to learn. He does usually concentrate on only 1/2 of the field but give him a year before bitching about him. What more can the guy do for you besides win every game in a year we all though would be a down year. Relax people relax.....

Who's bitching about him? It's just pointing out that it's a little premature to put him in the same class with Wentz or Stick because, like you said, he's just a redshirt freshman with pretty rudimentary expectations from a mental standpoint. If he continues at anywhere near this trajectory he'll meet or pass those guys but let's see him make that progression first before anointing him.

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Who's bitching about him? It's just pointing out that it's a little premature to put him in the same class with Wentz or Stick because, like you said, he's just a redshirt freshman with pretty rudimentary expectations from a mental standpoint. If he continues at anywhere near this trajectory he'll meet or pass those guys but let's see him make that progression first before anointing him.
    Premature? He’s light years ahead of where Stick was as a Freshman or Sophomore . He has a better arm than Stick and way more accurate. Love Stick but Lance is at another level. For someone who can’t read defenses as some claim it’s pretty amazing how high his completion percentage is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    Premature? He’s light years ahead of where Stick was as a Freshman or Sophomore . He has a better arm than Stick and way more accurate. Love Stick but Lance is at another level. For someone who can’t read defenses as some claim it’s pretty amazing how high his completion percentage is.

Agree. I wish tere was a youtube video with all his pass plays for easy review. I see him looking one way and then looking to the other side and throwing completions often.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post

I agree that he's far ahead of where Stick was at this same point in his development. As far as arm talent goes I don't necessarily buy that he's better this year than Stick was last year but that's a debate that can't really be proven so I won't try to convince you that you're wrong.

I don't know that he can't read defenses and make checks pre-snap I just don't think he's asked to. I haven't noticed him check to a new play at the line all season and I've seen plenty of cases where he's had guys running wide open further downfield than where his targeted receiver is at. But that's just good coaching IMO... there's no reason to overload the plate of a guy like him who has so much physical ability at such a young age. He's got all sorts of time to grow that part of his game and I have all the confidence in the world that he will with a guy like Randy Hedberg coaching him.

Default Re: 2018 Verbal: Trey Lance

Cant read defenses = interceptions

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I agree that he's far ahead of where Stick was at this same point in his development. As far as arm talent goes I don't necessarily buy that he's better this year than Stick was last year but that's a debate that can't really be proven so I won't try to convince you that you're wrong.

I don't know that he can't read defenses and make checks pre-snap I just don't think he's asked to. I haven't noticed him check to a new play at the line all season and I've seen plenty of cases where he's had guys running wide open further downfield than where his targeted receiver is at. But that's just good coaching IMO... there's no reason to overload the plate of a guy like him who has so much physical ability at such a young age. He's got all sorts of time to grow that part of his game and I have all the confidence in the world that he will with a guy like Randy Hedberg coaching him.
    Im pretty sure I heard someone say post game that those short passes were called runs that Trey switched. And then just rewatch the td pass to the tight end again. I don't care if Randy Hedberg or Roehl told him to do that it was beautiful.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Im pretty sure I heard someone say post game that those short passes were called runs that Trey switched. And then just rewatch the td pass to the tight end again. I don't care if Randy Hedberg or Roehl told him to do that it was beautiful.
    I think those were RPOs. They went no huddle on both of those little swing passes to Cole Jacob. You couldn't tell on the first one since KVLY has to show replays instead of the actual next play but on the 2nd one you can see the O-line is run blocking. So I'd guess that was a read by Lance and the corner giving Jacob a 8-10 yard cushion is why he made the call to throw it.