Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: WIU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: WIU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    I’m really fucking tired of all the penalties. One game with very few, all other games a lot. The abundance of penalties makes me concerned about the quality of this relatively young coaching staff.
    Yup....but penalties are about the only thing we fans have to squawk about. Truth is that most penalty calls are legit. I assume the penalty bug is vigorously addressed by the coaching staff so it is up to the players to clean it up.

My main concern for this team come playoff time would be, Situational football (play calling). I'm generally not opposed to 2 pt conversion attempts. However, can the Bison give that same look play with Hendricks the boot. If your going to go for two I would think having the most talented offensive player in the entire FCS (Lance) take the snap. Next, I was listening on the radio at this time., Did the Bison go for a 4th and 13 vs. a 44 yard FG?? Phil Hanson avoided comment on that so I figured it was a bit goofy. I know the Bison are 10-0 etc... But silly stuff like this most every game this year is somewhat concerning with big games on the horizon and less chance for error. NOW, bash me for saying something other than flattery about the Bison....

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    My main concern for this team come playoff time would be, Situational football (play calling). I'm generally not opposed to 2 pt conversion attempts. However, can the Bison give that same look play with Hendricks the boot. If your going to go for two I would think having the most talented offensive player in the entire FCS (Lance) take the snap. Next, I was listening on the radio at this time., Did the Bison go for a 4th and 13 vs. a 44 yard FG?? Phil Hanson avoided comment on that so I figured it was a bit goofy. I know the Bison are 10-0 etc... But silly stuff like this most every game this year is somewhat concerning with big games on the horizon and less chance for error. NOW, bash me for saying something other than flattery about the Bison....
    With the field goal, it seems like a good opportunity for the young kicker to give it a shot but I guess if that’s borderline his range why put him in a position to get a miss. That length of a field goal should be doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple things on that 4th down decison. First, I would've preferred to see them give Crosa a shot. They were at the 26 yard line so well within his range considering it's indoors. However, I can see the reasoning to go for it. There was less than 30 seconds left on the clock, WIU was already down to 2 (or maybe even just 1) TOs, and they knew they were getting the ball to start the 3rd quarter. On top of it all they were already up 27-0. I'd assume that if that was a 14-10 type game at that point Entz kicks the FG. Still, like I said, I would've preferred them give Crosa a shot to build his confidence back up a bit since he's been a little shaky over the last few games (and went on to miss an XP later in this game).

EDIT: The fire drill on Wegner's bobbled snap on an earlier FG attempt may have played into the coach's confidence level as well. That's something they'll probably work on... show them the video of Lecompte's lateral to Keller who lobbed it to Mike Hardie for the 2pt conversion in Frisco at the end of the 2012 season.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I have zero confidence in the competency of our field goal unit. There are issues all over the place. Much better chance of coming away with points if the offense just stays on the field. Hell, I have more confidence in bringing in Jimmy Football and running the swinging gate on 4th and long.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    I have zero confidence in the competency of our field goal unit. There are issues all over the place. Much better chance of coming away with points if the offense just stays on the field. Hell, I have more confidence in bringing in Jimmy Football and running the swinging gate on 4th and long.
    I guess that is precisely why I would have kicked the FG, game like these are for PRACTICE and good or bad you better get this kicker some more reps or see if anybody else on the roster can kick. NOT giving somebody game time reps isnt going improve anything. If you cant make blow-out kicks over the next few games you may go to a four down offense come playoff time.

Bisman is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Not sure where to put this random Bison football thought but here it goes...

I feel like this swinging gate thing that the Bison keep doing on 2-pt tries is just a big fat setup for something else to happen later. If we show that look at the onset of every 2-pt try, and a traditional kick formation when we don't, opposing defenses will see that tendency and rely on it. Then the Bison run a different 2-pt try but from the traditional kick formation, ala something like what EWU did in the Natty right before halftime. I just don't think that they'll run it the way we've done all season when it actually counts.

In 2011, I remember thinking all season that we should run a few fake punts given that MV was back there kicking. As the season wore on, they never did it and eventually my thoughts on it faded. Then....boom. I feel like this frivolous 2-pt conversion tendency is just like that, only different.
    Insert something clever here...

I sure hope that in a two score game they would have tried to convert that 4th down.

There is nothing frivolous about trying PAT2’s. I would hope that in addition to the swinging gate they would have more traditional short yardage sets as well as a fake kick that they like at their disposal.

I feel like Entz has been honest about both these situations. Didn’t he say, if they can’t get the long snap fixed they were just going to go for it? I’m sure he’s said on the swinging gate the idea is to make the other team account for another thing in their preparation which implies it’s an addition to the arsenal not a replacement. If we really practice better than anyone, that’s exactly the sort of advantage we should be pressing.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I sure hope that in a two score game they would have tried to convert that 4th down.

There is nothing frivolous about trying PAT2’s. I would hope that in addition to the swinging gate they would have more traditional short yardage sets as well as a fake kick that they like at their disposal.

I feel like Entz has been honest about both these situations. Didn’t he say, if they can’t get the long snap fixed they were just going to go for it? I’m sure he’s said on the swinging gate the idea is to make the other team account for another thing in their preparation which implies it’s an addition to the arsenal not a replacement. If we really practice better than anyone, that’s exactly the sort of advantage we should be pressing.
    We actually used a formation other that swinging gate v. WIU. Apparently we are still tweaking or EP look, and or just giving upcoming opponents more to prepare for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.