Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: WIU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: WIU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Not sure where to put this random Bison football thought but here it goes...

I feel like this swinging gate thing that the Bison keep doing on 2-pt tries is just a big fat setup for something else to happen later. If we show that look at the onset of every 2-pt try, and a traditional kick formation when we don't, opposing defenses will see that tendency and rely on it. Then the Bison run a different 2-pt try but from the traditional kick formation, ala something like what EWU did in the Natty right before halftime. I just don't think that they'll run it the way we've done all season when it actually counts.

In 2011, I remember thinking all season that we should run a few fake punts given that MV was back there kicking. As the season wore on, they never did it and eventually my thoughts on it faded. Then....boom. I feel like this frivolous 2-pt conversion tendency is just like that, only different.
    In regards to 2-pt conversions.....I get that we want to show some deceptive looks, but if we really want to convert 2 pt attempts, leave the first team offense out there and let them do it.

Coaches get too cute, too often (across all levels of football).
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    In regards to 2-pt conversions.....I get that we want to show some deceptive looks, but if we really want to convert 2 pt attempts, leave the first team offense out there and let them do it.

They've tried 6 and converted 3 so they’re marginally ahead of kicking PAT1s on expected points where we’ve failed to convert two.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post

I'd think with Hendricks out there on extra points they are attempting to out maneuver teams with personnel. That's just a guess but he's a fairly unique player with his experience at QB and athleticism. With him as holder or as QB on a 2pt try it probably keeps opposing teams guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I'd think with Hendricks out there on extra points they are attempting to out maneuver teams with personnel. That's just a guess but he's a fairly unique player with his experience at QB and athleticism. With him as holder or as QB on a 2pt try it probably keeps opposing teams guessing.
    Or, direct snap it to Lance and have him RPO for 3 yards

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    Or, direct snap it to Lance and have him RPO for 3 yards
    Is NDSU getting first team defenders off the field though by not have Lance out there on 2 point tries. That's what I'm saying. Does Entz think Hendricks vs opposing team's special teams unit is a better matchup on 2pt tries than NDSU 1st team offense vs opponents 1st team defense.

This is just a guess on my part, so I could be completely wrong but I see some logic in trying to leverage Hendricks this way.

Anyone else notice Bison T & F legend Payton Otterdahl (honorary game captain) "shot put" the coin toss prior to kick off?

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Anyone else notice Bison T & F legend Payton Otterdahl (honorary game captain) "shot put" the coin toss prior to kick off?
    Yes. We could see that on the big screens in the dome.
    It's OK to not be OK.

HerdistheWord is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Yes. We could see that on the big screens in the dome.
    I was wondering what that toss was all about. Now it all makes sense, and it is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Yeah. Looks like his form needs some work

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Yeah. Looks like his form needs some work

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I was expecting more. Light little coin only went a few feet. Probably should have gone with the discus type throw instead?