Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bracketology 1.0

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bracketology 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    That was an eyebrow raiser for sure but who would you put in there instead? I guarantee I could poke a bunch of holes in whoever else you would put up there. Even Furman at #9 has done next to nothing except play two close FBS games to get to #9. There's a giant gap after the top 8 right now IMO.
    Well, someone has to fill those spots. I agree the NH should not be that high. But the committee is not going to put another MVFC team in there. Even though said team probably should be there by most counts.

Sagarin has NH below SIX MVFC teams and the STATS poll has them @ 23rd overall. At least Sagarin has Furman 8th (of playoff eligible teams) and Stats has them @ 9th overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pep Band View Post
    Well, someone has to fill those spots. I agree the NH should not be that high. But the committee is not going to put another MVFC team in there. Even though said team probably should be there by most counts.

Sagarin has NH below SIX MVFC teams and the STATS poll has them @ 23rd overall. At least Sagarin has Furman 8th (of playoff eligible teams) and Stats has them @ 9th overall.
    You could make an argument for Illinois St at #10 but they have hardly any decent wins. Their win over 5-4 SIU is their only one that could even be considered quality and their 14 points loss to 3-6 Northern Illinois out of the MAC doesn't earn them any points nor do their convincing homes losses to NDSU and UNI.

I'm not saying UNH is wart-free, far from it, but #9 and #10 could pretty much be a dartboard pick of about 8 different teams.

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

You could make an argument for Illinois St at #10 but they have hardly any decent wins. Their win over 5-4 SIU is their only one that could even be considered quality and their 14 points loss to 3-6 Northern Illinois out of the MAC doesn't earn them any points nor do their convincing homes losses to NDSU and UNI.

I'm not saying UNH is wart-free, far from it, but #9 and #10 could pretty much be a dartboard pick of about 8 different teams.

Well its a good thing there are only 8 Seeds then.

Its just obvious to me that they got to 9 and 10 and were like... "Wait a tic, we only have 1 CAA team on here! CAN'T HAVE THAT!--Sherman, quick, who's currently second in the CAA? ...New Hampshire? What? Are you sure you're looking at that right? ...Well, I'll be damned. Alright, New Hampshire it is."

Also, apparently the only poll they consider is the coaches poll, but even the coaches had Villanova and Towson rated above UNH...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

That was an eyebrow raiser for sure but who would you put in there instead? I guarantee I could poke a bunch of holes in whoever else you would put up there. Even Furman at #9 has done next to nothing except play two close FBS games to get to #9. There's a giant gap after the top 8 right now IMO.
    Also, considering Kennesaw was a likely seed before they got blown out by Monmouth (who has a similar playoff resume), I think you could make a decent case for Monmouth at 9 or 10.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pep Band View Post
    Well its a good thing there are only 8 Seeds then.
    Yep, very much the case right now but things can change quickly. If UNH beats JMU this Saturday they'll be in everyone's top 10. Same with Illinois St if they beat SDSU.

I wish the committee would release their rankings every week like the CFP committee does and it would be nice if they did their full top 25 like the CFP committee does. I know they vote on a top 25 every week later in the season but they've only ever released the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Also, considering Kennesaw was a likely seed before they got blown out by Monmouth (who has a similar playoff resume), I think you could make a decent case for Monmouth at 9 or 10.
    Agreed. I had Monmouth at #11 in my AGS Poll ballot this week. In addition to the KSU win their only FCS loss is in Missoula and it was a one score game in the 4th quarter. They've also got a decent win over Albany from the CAA who is on the bubble right now themselves.

UND will be in the field at 7-4. May as well come to terms with it if you're not already.
    But if it comes down to them vs a 7-5 team, the committee will most likely take the 7-5 team.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    But if it comes down to them vs a 7-5 team, the committee will most likely take the 7-5 team.
    Depends on the 7-5 team. If it's a 7-5 SIU or UC Davis then I'd agree. If it's a 7-5 YSU or Illinois St I'd doubt it.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Specifically because they played an extra game and lost? Not sure I buy that. It will come down to individual resumes.

Depends on the 7-5 team. If it's a 7-5 SIU or UC Davis then I'd agree. If it's a 7-5 YSU or Illinois St I'd doubt it.
    Pretty sure UND would get in over UC Davis due to the head to head win but they would have a very interesting resume with a lot of "quality losses" and some pretty good wins. But that requires them to finish out at 3-0 vs PSU, MSU and Sac and I'm sure sure they can do it.
    SIU would be an interesting comparison. UND would have 1-2 better wins but also a worse loss. I think they'd both be in with 7 wins.

Quality losses. Good grief.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."