Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Weakest point on the team?

Default Re: Weakest point on the team?

Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    There is a difference between just being a little off and missing a field goal and not being mentally and or physically prepared. His field goal attempts did not seem to have any oomph behind them (like he was trying to punch the ball), none of those attempts were from any great distance either. No matter the reason he missed, it still does not change the point I was making. That being that these days, kickers (like any other athlete) are bigger stronger faster than in years past due to training advances. Heck, there are kicking schools and camps just for kickers these days. Far cry from 30 years or even 10 years ago. Sure, the kid was put into a tough spot and I am not mocking or insulting him for it, just stating an obvious fact that for this last game, the kicking was the weakest point on the team.
    All good points. Have you considered that he might just not have the skills? He was #3 coming out of camp. Crosa was #2 and, while accurate, nobody will argue that his leg strength isn’t questionable.

Then he misses his first attempt. All downhill after that and I have to say I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    There is a difference between just being a little off and missing a field goal and not being mentally and or physically prepared. His field goal attempts did not seem to have any oomph behind them (like he was trying to punch the ball), none of those attempts were from any great distance either. No matter the reason he missed, it still does not change the point I was making. That being that these days, kickers (like any other athlete) are bigger stronger faster than in years past due to training advances. Heck, there are kicking schools and camps just for kickers these days. Far cry from 30 years or even 10 years ago. Sure, the kid was put into a tough spot and I am not mocking or insulting him for it, just stating an obvious fact that for this last game, the kicking was the weakest point on the team.
    It was a weak point. No argument. But Will Cardinal is a walk on freshman and is the #3 man. He performed as well yesterday as any Minnesota Vikings kicker in the clutch over the last decade. He gets a pass from me.

Will, if you of any of your posse are reading this stuff get back to work. You have scored more points in Bison playoff history than me or most of the other experts on this forum. But as you see you never know when your number will be called. Be ready.
    Don't believe everything you think.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    18 year old freshman debuting in the playoffs on short notice. Cut him some slack. Hes not the starter for a reason. In a few years he could be great but we are a developmental program.. it's not just hey your a freshman and great. It's a learning process
    You're right. That was unjust of me.

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Does our ‘next man up’ mentality not apply to all team members?
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

I've thought a lot about the evolution of the football kicker and it's funny you don't have more athletic guys kicking. This is just an example but I bet if Trey or Jimmy football practiced a little bit they could nail extra points and those close field goals missed the other day. They'd be limber and loose from playing in the game and not standing on the sideline thinking about missing. They wouldn't have time to over think it. Yeah those guys need a break now and then and you need a little soccer player kicker on every team these days but it's just one of those jobs that the thinking about what you're going to do while everyone else is playing the game doesn't seem to help. Find an athlete and convert him. Something like Matt Voigtlander. Think we better just leave Trey and Jimmy where they are.

Lardsin must go!

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I got two things:
    A) Karcz being out has hurt us. He isn't the biggest DT, but he is experienced and strong. He is the closed thing we have to a difference maker at that position. Was told by a former player's mom at the tailgate that he had a minor knee surgery he is trying to heal up from. I think he has missed at least 3 or 4 games now.

B) I know Jabril plays the nickel position for us. But teams that have consistently ran the ball well on us, he is defending the slot. Thats putting him 15 to 20 yards away from the ball. I almost wonder if they shouldn't be keeping him in the box, and subbing in an extra defensive back. Or bring down Tutsie or Hendricks as the nickel, with Weber at safety.

I am just a fan and observer, both of these two things might have been addressed already on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by CalBison97 View Post
    Does our ‘next man up’ mentality not apply to all team members?
    It does and that's why Will kicked on Saturday. You can have this mentality and at the same time be understanding of a non-scholly frosh kicker not being great in his first ever game.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    It does and that's why Will kicked on Saturday. You can have this mentality and at the same time be understanding of a non-scholly frosh kicker not being great in his first ever game.
    Wasn't his first ever game. He's kicked in 3 games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tolnabison View Post
    I got two things:
    A) Karcz being out has hurt us. He isn't the biggest DT, but he is experienced and strong. He is the closed thing we have to a difference maker at that position. Was told by a former player's mom at the tailgate that he had a minor knee surgery he is trying to heal up from. I think he has missed at least 3 or 4 games now.

B) I know Jabril plays the nickel position for us. But teams that have consistently ran the ball well on us, he is defending the slot. Thats putting him 15 to 20 yards away from the ball. I almost wonder if they shouldn't be keeping him in the box, and subbing in an extra defensive back. Or bring down Tutsie or Hendricks as the nickel, with Weber at safety.

I am just a fan and observer, both of these two things might have been addressed already on this forum.
    There was an article about Karcz and his injury in the Forum last week: https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/c...6ea983983.html

Sound like he had a meniscus tear in practice the week before the South Dakota game and had surgery on it. It sounded like he had a chance to play against Nicholls but obviously didn't. I'd assume since it's already been talked about it being possible for him to be back in game action that they just had to repair the damaged meniscus not remove it and I believe the typical recovery time on that is about a month so he's coming up on that (assuming he tore it sometime between 11/12 and 11/14).

The crowd is no longer a factor.