Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Weakest point on the team?

Default Re: Weakest point on the team?

Back on topic; hate those blue seats; time to go.

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Nobody wants to say it but we are susceptible to the run. We are average at the D tackle positions and we are average at the middle linebacker position. We couldn’t stop South Dakota State and we knew they were going to run the ball with a back up quarterback. We were putting eight guys in the box consistently in the second half and still couldn’t stop them. Honestly though it might not hurt us because our offense is so good we get Big leads so most teams abandon the running game.

Quote Originally Posted by SafeTeeJ View Post
    Defensive scheme/assignments against RPO teams needs work.
    Opposing QB's.... pull the ball at your own risk.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    Nobody wants to say it but we are susceptible to the run. We are average at the D tackle positions and we are average at the middle linebacker position. We couldn’t stop South Dakota State and we knew they were going to run the ball with a back up quarterback. We were putting eight guys in the box consistently in the second half and still couldn’t stop them. Honestly though it might not hurt us because our offense is so good we get Big leads so most teams abandon the running game.
    Yep. And I don’t want to be harsh because I didnt expect to see us 8-0 but you take Tuska out of the picture and our D-line (especially the interior line) is pretty meh. I’m hoping to see someone step up as playmakers before playoffs. As of now I’m a little worried about our D-line for next season.

Our interior D line did just destroy YSU. In all seriousness interior Dline might really be the weakest point on the team, but it's still pretty damn good. Outside of the top 4 FCS teams they are still going to be pretty dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    How many teams do you think the Bison will face in FCS who have the talent and skill that SDSU has? Any?
    Don't believe everything you think.

If we were to play a pretty good FBS team, what would be exposed? Probably the DT and both LB outside Cox.

We also dont really have a decent 3rd corner.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    First, after listening to the game on the radio Saturday it didnt sound like this team had many deficiencies , however, I still see a couple area's where it is weaker than normal and that may not be saying weak by Bison standards. Interior D-line could use some BEEF, it has 8 very athletic guys but two toads (Levon Perry like) with some quickness would really bottle up that area as to let the great athletic speed around it finish off plays inside. The D edges are terrific as is the D backfield, both have depth too. Coaching will improve with time as did Kleiman after his first 1-2 years. This team took a HUGE step forward last weekend, I did not see this team being undefeated after nine games, or this good.
    Agree. We dont have that big run stopper this year. However, it is still good enough to probably win it all.

Agree with pretty much everyone.

- DT/NT dominance isn't there like it has been for so long. Darnell and Karcz have been very solid and I have been pleasantly surprised by Ching and especially Biegler as depth. Just no all-star in this group although I think Karcz is close.
    - CB depth. I trust Bridges and Hayes but Talbert and the depth aren't providing us the nickel and dime packages we've had in the past. Still good overall. Very interested to see how we do with Bridges next year.
    - LB group except for Jabril. Once again, Hankey, Merc, and company are doing just fine. Just feels like it has been awhile since we've had only one noteworthy LB in a starter group. I wonder if we have any studs in the making here. Weerts and Hendricks were fun recruits to get but we probably need some others to step up as well (Jasir, Stumpf, Hofstedt, etc.?)

The RB group doesn't feel as good on paper especially with Wilson out this year but they have shown up as a committee and someone always produces. So I won't knock that group.

We don't have a weak point, per se. We just have a few groups that are simply good instead of great.
    Rixen

The only weak thing about this team is its competition besides SDSU.