Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Can PJ Fleck weaken the HERD?

Default Re: Can PJ Fleck weaken the HERD?

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    "I disagree. I don’t blame JJ for giving it a shot or even a kid that tries the PWO route. They know they have an uphill battle but maybe their goal is to play Big 10 football. Just like we find some diamonds in the rough so do they.

Having that attitude is just as arrogant."

Yes, lol, its so ignorant to say that we dont NEED kids who take walk on's somewhere else. The odds are, when you walk on at the gophs- you will likely never see the field- never receive a scholarship, sorry to burst your bubble. That is not the case at NDSU.

Everyone has been saying this for the last decade but now its JUST ME who is ignorant- "would you rather get 3-5th place in one of the worst divisions in college football or win a national championship?" yup SOOOO ignorant. My point is, that we have had wild success with kids who have continually declined a PWO on big programs (who, btw, have had No impact at their P5 program), and we will continue to do so with the kids we have. we dont need the kids who take PWO's because, not sure if you noticed, we have won just a FEW games in the past decade without them. sorry if that pisses you guys off somehow- holy schnikes. JJ is one example of that. We literally do not and did not need him. we are doing just fine without him. But yes, Im sure he couldnt be happier about his decision to go the gophers. He REALLY showed me how wrong my point is!
    Haven't done enough research to quote odds but here is just a little rain on your parade there. Pays to keep in mind that the Gophers are a program in flux. Old notions of what happens there are not necessarily applicable today. I mean I've been down to the Minneapolis campus a lot but I have never had anyone try to sell me snake oil before...

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/20...s-rodney-smith

Blake Cashman, another walk-on, now playing for the Jets.....

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I agree with this. In fact, I would never begrudge a kid for leaving the FM area to go to any college. Spend 18 years of their lives here and can't turn around without running into someone you know. Forget about the athletic opportunities, just the opportunity to become your own person.

NDSU or bust is a very myopic viewpoint and fairly ignorant. It also isn't like a local recruit is going to get preferential treatment if they pick NDSU. You'll get to start because you went to north over the Nebraska recruit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yep. Had I grown up in Fargo, I think there is about a 10% chance I'd have went to school there. Very normal for people to want to do something a bit different for awhile. Can always come back.
    College of Business Alumnus

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I think most of the people who are saying that St Thomas has more of a chance to hurt our recruiting are coming from the point of view where St Thomas already has a very good reputation in the Twin Cities area and Minnesota in general. If they get into a scholarship conference that qualifies for playoffs, especially if that is the MVFC, I think they have a decent chance to steal some of those Minnesota recruits, especially if the players are TC-based. I don't think its much more complicated than that.
    But how do you like your beer? We're not recruiting a lot of future doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, engineers, etc. Not to say that we aren't recruiting any top students, we get plenty of Greg Menards, Easton Sticks, Carson Wentz type student athletes. MIAC is a different culture, not unlike the Ivies. You're coming to NDSU to win championships, that's just not the case at MIAC schools. St. Thomas won't change their culture going D1. Athletics is second, education first. How much more will they have to raise in scholarship money since their education costs are much, much higher than NDSU. Where will they build all the athletic infrastructure necessary for D1? I don't even know where their campus is.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    St Thomas will be a greater threat to NDSU than Gophers. that is a true statement once they get into the MVFC
    St.Thomas Endowment is about $520M with roughly 8,000 students.
    NDSU Endowment is about $210M with roughly 15,000 students.

They have double the endowment with half the students. Those Tommie alum have deep pockets & tons of fortune 500 connections in the metro area (which doesn't hurt).

Yes, if St.Thomas can get it rolling @ the FCS level, it will certainly hurt the recruiting for regional schools, like us.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    But how do you like your beer? We're not recruiting a lot of future doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, engineers, etc. Not to say that we aren't recruiting any top students, we get plenty of Greg Menards, Easton Sticks, Carson Wentz type student athletes. MIAC is a different culture, not unlike the Ivies. You're coming to NDSU to win championships, that's just not the case at MIAC schools. St. Thomas won't change their culture going D1. Athletics is second, education first. How much more will they have to raise in scholarship money since their education costs are much, much higher than NDSU. Where will they build all the athletic infrastructure necessary for D1? I don't even know where their campus is.
    Biz school and Law school are downtown Minneapolis a few blocks straight south of Target Field and about one block west of Target Corp. HQ. Main campus is in St. Paul bordered on the north by Selby, south by Summit Ave, west by Cretin and east by Cleveland. Very old neighborhood. No room for expansion and they are not going to be tearing down Summit Ave mansions to expand athletic facilities I would not think. Looks like a little more campus space south of Summit and west of Cretin going west to the river.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Un....2775379?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    First, big fan of IPAs and Stouts, better if imperial, and even better barrel aged.

But anyway... I see your points and they are not bad points. You’re positioning your points to conclude there is NO chance they will hurt our recruiting. I’m positioning my points to conclude there is a decent chance they will. Easier to argue my side even if you end up being right, and I hope you are.

Cheers, either way.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Biz school and Law school are downtown Minneapolis a few blocks straight south of Target Field and about one block west of Target Corp. HQ. Main campus is in St. Paul bordered on the north by Selby, south by Summit Ave, west by Cretin and east by Cleveland. Very old neighborhood. No room for expansion and they are not going to be tearing down Summit Ave mansions to expand athletic facilities I would not think. Looks like a little more campus space south of Summit and west of Cretin going west to the river.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Un....2775379?hl=en
    There have been talks for a while about using the old Ford plant about a mile and a half south of campus for some expansion. Talks have been going on for a bit now though, so not sure how viable that is.

how about you talk st Thomas here!! in right spot

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...ghlight=thomas
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    how about you talk st Thomas here!! in right spot

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...ghlight=thomas
    I just follow the thread drift where it leads, Chapo. I’m secretly hoping we start talking about beer, right here, right now.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery