Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Can PJ Fleck weaken the HERD?

bisoneer is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Can PJ Fleck weaken the HERD?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU German from Russia View Post
    I've got (3) brothers.

(2) of them, like me, have NDSU degrees, (1) of them U of Wisconsin.

One of the (2) NDSU grads went on to get his doctorate at U of M. He's a proud & happy Gopher Alum with a (thriving) medical practice down in the MSP area.

The only time said brother sets foot in ND (any more) is to slay walleye at Devils Lake or to devastate the pheasant population (anywhere west of Missouri and south of 94 will work).

Needless to say, the sun is shining bright on his Gopher chest and he's loving the spotlight which the Gophers have rightfully earned.

My questions...

As PJ gets the boat rowing down in the MSP area, will this have any effect on the herd?
    Really, how many guys are preferred walk-ons (at MN) who choose NDSU for full scholly?
    It's very clear that 1/3'ish of the Bison on the field are MN guys (is that about right?).
    Will Fleck just jump to the next opportunity when it comes along with continued success?

I really don't mind seeing the Gopher program success, but of course, I hold the Bison near and dear.

p.s. Klieman taking down Oklahoma was quite impressive. Nice work Coach K on the Sooner playoff wrecker!

The Goldie Gophies success is nice yes being I live in Minn. but really my area would be better off politically in ND. As for Fleck stealing our recruits, no way. Mainly because historically when the Gophers win, some big wig PhD in St. Paul stands up and says wait a minute they are cheating on their tests or wait a minute they had minor girls at a booze party.... then no more bowls and turn in the banners and its all over.
    Let's Go Bison!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    Yep, great education from any of the above schools, just not gonna compete on the football field or in recruiting against the Bison. For people who care about this sort of stuff, there apparently is something in saying that you've graduated from an Ivy league school. I like my beer cold, not all that particular what brand it is, but that's just me. Even better if it's free.
    Hear, hear....were on the same page MT, but just for the record its bud 4 me ( I am particular when it comes 2 important matters such as these, unless I am in a pinch (which is more often then not!)

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    I disagree. I don’t blame JJ for giving it a shot or even a kid that tries the PWO route. They know they have an uphill battle but maybe their goal is to play Big 10 football. Just like we find some diamonds in the rough so do they.

Having that attitude is just as arrogant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with this. In fact, I would never begrudge a kid for leaving the FM area to go to any college. Spend 18 years of their lives here and can't turn around without running into someone you know. Forget about the athletic opportunities, just the opportunity to become your own person.

NDSU or bust is a very myopic viewpoint and fairly ignorant. It also isn't like a local recruit is going to get preferential treatment if they pick NDSU. You'll get to start because you went to north over the Nebraska recruit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    St Thomas will be a greater threat to NDSU than Gophers. that is a true statement once they get into the MVFC
    Trolllololol. Put the pipe down.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I really never got to see them play except for occasional highlights. What I do know he was before his time in coaching philosophy. They never hit during practice. His answer as to why-----He said St Johns isnt on our schedule. He was also a fantastic leader and role model. Even with all of his success he did it all without the look at me persona. I admired him from a far with out seeing one of his games.
    There is a book out there The Sweet Season, written by a journalist who embedded himself with the the team for a year. It's in a similar vein to Friday Night Lights where the author moves into to area and gets access. I read it a few years ago. A decent read.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    I can easily see the Gophers losing their next four games. Their schedule for a Big 10 team could not be any easier and the competition any worse. SDSU is by far the best team they have played this year and they were outplayed in that game. Penn State will win this game 42-9. And yes, if given the opportunity to flee the Gophers he will be gone, USC, UCLA etc... This guy is the biggest snake oil salesman in all of college football today.
    Mike Houston is a pretty close second if not first himself.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    St Thomas will be a greater threat to NDSU than Gophers. that is a true statement once they get into the MVFC
    I would agree with you on this one Chappy....
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    Gophers will always be the gophers. Sometimes they’ll break through on a year like this with an easy schedule but the program doesn’t have enough oomph to overtake the other traditional big ten powers.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-kill-pj-fleck

Jerry Kill is about the most down to earth coach in big college football. If he says Fleck is a self centered arse then I take it at face value.
    Got a chuckle over this one. Kill is about the most self-centered person you will ever meet. He just does it in a different way. the aw shucks personality he has tries to mask it, but hes in it for himself and only that. Like somebody said, PJ isn't out to impress a bunch of 50 year olds, hes impressing who he needs to impress. Gophers also have so much more of an impact on the community under him. Most days of the week you'll be able to find players at the childrens hospital, elementary schools homeless shelters. Little better than the previous regime of country Jer and his cronies.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    Yep, great education from any of the above schools, just not gonna compete on the football field or in recruiting against the Bison. For people who care about this sort of stuff, there apparently is something in saying that you've graduated from an Ivy league school. I like my beer cold, not all that particular what brand it is, but that's just me. Even better if it's free.
    I think most of the people who are saying that St Thomas has more of a chance to hurt our recruiting are coming from the point of view where St Thomas already has a very good reputation in the Twin Cities area and Minnesota in general. If they get into a scholarship conference that qualifies for playoffs, especially if that is the MVFC, I think they have a decent chance to steal some of those Minnesota recruits, especially if the players are TC-based. I don't think its much more complicated than that.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

"I disagree. I don’t blame JJ for giving it a shot or even a kid that tries the PWO route. They know they have an uphill battle but maybe their goal is to play Big 10 football. Just like we find some diamonds in the rough so do they.

Having that attitude is just as arrogant."

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I agree with this. In fact, I would never begrudge a kid for leaving the FM area to go to any college. Spend 18 years of their lives here and can't turn around without running into someone you know. Forget about the athletic opportunities, just the opportunity to become your own person.

NDSU or bust is a very myopic viewpoint and fairly ignorant. It also isn't like a local recruit is going to get preferential treatment if they pick NDSU. You'll get to start because you went to north over the Nebraska recruit.
    Yes, lol, its so ignorant to say that we dont NEED kids who take walk on's somewhere else. The odds are, when you walk on at the gophs- you will likely never see the field- never receive a scholarship, sorry to burst your bubble. That is not the case at NDSU.

Everyone has been saying this for the last decade but now its JUST ME who is ignorant- "would you rather get 3-5th place in one of the worst divisions in college football or win a national championship?" yup SOOOO ignorant. My point is, that we have had wild success with kids who have continually declined a PWO on big programs (who, btw, have had No impact at their P5 program), and we will continue to do so with the kids we have. we dont need the kids who take PWO's because, not sure if you noticed, we have won just a FEW games in the past decade without them. sorry if that pisses you guys off somehow- holy schnikes. JJ is one example of that. We literally do not and did not need him. we are doing just fine without him. But yes, Im sure he couldnt be happier about his decision to go the gophers. He REALLY showed me how wrong my point is!
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS