Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Can PJ Fleck weaken the HERD?

Default Re: Can PJ Fleck weaken the HERD?

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    Correct. If Florida State wants him badly enough, they'll get some donors to pony up for whatever is needed. That's essentially what they did to be able to fire Taggert.

Fleck's played the bottom of each division, plus barely beat SDSU, Fresno St, and Georgia Southern. His best win has been Nebraska, 60th in Sagarin this week.
    My understanding is Florida State had to dig pretty deep to pony up to get rid of him. Idk who they will end up with. They just couldnt have him there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Fleck has a model. It does not involve taking over successful programs. He's not going to get offers from Michigan and Notre Dame. His ceiling is MN or a Tennessee in a bad spot.

Year 1 Tear it down, go 4-8. Zero expectations (ala year zero)
    Year 2. Claim to be the youngest team in the history of the world. Win 1 more game than year 1. You had some bad loses, but that one birdie at Wisconsin keeps everyone on board.
    Year 3. Go .500, and declare that you are following a process and are right on schedule.
    Year 4. Have a bad schedule and win 9-10 games. Everyone's in love with you a year after you were almost fired. The year 4 out is a strong option if the money's on the table.
    Year 5. The Stars align and you have a shot to win your division. Your work is done here, move on and make more money. The next reclamation project is waiting.

He's ahead of schedule in Minnesota.
    To be fair, that's how a lot of guys do it.

Meyer hopped from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida.

Kelly went from Grand Valley to Central Michigan to Cincy to Notre Dame

Harbaugh's went from San Diego to Stanford to Michigan

Saban went from Toledo to Browns DC to Michigan St to LSU to Bama
    College of Business Alumnus

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    My understanding is Florida State had to dig pretty deep to pony up to get rid of him.
    $20 million in buyouts. That's a lot of money, even for them.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    My understanding is Florida State had to dig pretty deep to pony up to get rid of him. Idk who they will end up with. They just couldnt have him there anymore.

To be fair, that's how a lot of guys do it.

Meyer hopped from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida.

Kelly went from Grand Valley to Central Michigan to Cincy to Notre Dame

Harbaugh's went from San Diego to Stanford to Michigan

Saban went from Toledo to Browns DC to Michigan St to LSU to Bama
    Chris Klieman really tore it down, didn't he? No, most people try to win games in year 1. Not Fleck, but it looks like its working out OK.

Gopher fans I know are a bit delusional as well. Most think the Gophers will win, and are already speculating about making the college football playoffs.

The thing is, the players are starting to believe, and that could fuel an upset.

Personally, I find the idea of a Gopher win interesting. Because if the Gophers lose, they are exposed as the beneficiaries of a soft schedule, up to this point. But, if they win, that would be fun. How high would they rise in the rankings? Let's say the Gophers win decisively, 42-6 or something like that, what would happen? Five or more spots? If they win a nail biter, 27-24, would they be taken seriously, would they leapfrog Penn State? I want a Gopher win just to see what happens. But I don't expect it.

Little different circumstances don’t you think? Trying to stay afloat with a team that needed a late field goal to beta Rutgers and then a rape scandal. Kind of have to start over after that wouldn’t you say? That along with not having a competent DI qb on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
    Gopher fans I know are a bit delusional as well. Most think the Gophers will win, and are already speculating about making the college football playoffs.

The thing is, the players are starting to believe, and that could fuel an upset.

Personally, I find the idea of a Gopher win interesting. Because if the Gophers lose, they are exposed as the beneficiaries of a soft schedule, up to this point. But, if they win, that would be fun. How high would they rise in the rankings? Let's say the Gophers win decisively, 42-6 or something like that, what would happen? Five or more spots? If they win a nail biter, 27-24, would they be taken seriously, would they leapfrog Penn State? I want a Gopher win just to see what happens. But I don't expect it.
    If they won 42-6 they would have them very very very very high.
    College of Business Alumnus

KC Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If you look at Fleck's record at Western Michigan, he only had one really good year. I don't schools with a really good football programs would hire someone like that but it was good enough for the Goofs. He has bragged about the size of his offensive line. Its bigger than the Vikings and apparently better. They certainly didn't push the Jacks around and it took a lucky break for them to win. I think him and the Goofs are the perfect match for each other.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Fleck goes 11-2 this year he is gone. He is no fool and his schtick would work great at a UCLA type school. A good football brand but only moderate football success in the modern era.

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Fleck goes 11-2 this year he is gone. He is no fool and his schtick would work great at a UCLA type school. A good football brand but only moderate football success in the modern era.
    With a $10 million buyout?

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heckler View Post
    With a $10 million buyout?
    For UCLA? They've lost more change in the couches of the AD department in the last month. See FSU firing and buying out their coach, raised $20 million to cover that cost in a week or two.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck