Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Homemade" T Shirts

Default Re: "Homemade" T Shirts

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Typically they would need to be licensed to make it and sell it to you, but if they unknowingly reproduced what you provided them, I don't know where that falls.
    My GF runs a promotional product company. 99.9% of the time if you are having someone with either a heat press or screen printer make you a shirt; you are going to be paying them. Any reputable production business will not do it in this case unless they bought the license to do so. However, if for whatever reason, they arent charging you for anything and you're essentially making it for personal use. There isn't anything NDSU can do about it.

Its quite simple. If money is involved and you don't have a license/permission; its a hard no. If you were to go to Target and buy some heat transfer paper/vinyl, print off old snorty logo of your choice and iron/heat press it onto a shirt of your choice....no one is stopping you.

Another thing to note about those thinking $30 for the One Herd shirt is crazy you need to look at the shirt that they are printing it on. Everyone knows the Heritage logos are more expensive than the currently used logo (look at the 'vintage' jerseys they sell at Vikings games at US Bank Stadium for an example) but aside from that, they are most likely using Bella Canvas shirts which are per-shrunk premium shirts. FAR better than the cheap sandpaper feeling shirts that are $10-20 at Scheels that they pump out for any of those one-off games (College GameDay Shirts/Target Field Game/etc)

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    My GF runs a promotional product company. 99.9% of the time if you are having someone with either a heat press or screen printer make you a shirt; you are going to be paying them. Any reputable production business will not do it in this case unless they bought the license to do so. However, if for whatever reason, they arent charging you for anything and you're essentially making it for personal use. There isn't anything NDSU can do about it.

Its quite simple. If money is involved and you don't have a license/permission; its a hard no. If you were to go to Target and buy some heat transfer paper/vinyl, print off old snorty logo of your choice and iron/heat press it onto a shirt of your choice....no one is stopping you.
    The thing that I'm wondering is if they have it in their fine print somewhere that since he is providing the design, that he would be liable for infringement. I would think it would be difficult for a company that does that kind of one-off stuff to deal with the legalities themselves. But I don't know if it would even be legal for them to claim that.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. Whether you get the company that's doing the screenprinting to take the dive (illegally) to do it on a oneoff or not will depend on their ethics. NDSU may never know and probably and would be wasting money trying to track down all those one offs, so you could do it and nothing would ever become of it. Again you're only hurting NDSU and their brand by going that route. If you own a screen printer and do one for yourself or your kids etc you're golden.

That all said Scheel's may be able to do it if someone is looking for a legal option?? They have screen printing/embroidery options.

Changed logos like is being questioned is an interesting one, because now you fall into the Breck/Wyoming debate that was what 10-15 years ago. How much change is made until it no longer is a trademark "image/logo". You keep the NDSU brand on the logo's rear quarter I don't think you'd have a chance in saying it's not their logo... take it off might have a slight chance???

ThunderDan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    The thing that I'm wondering is if they have it in their fine print somewhere that since he is providing the design, that he would be liable for infringement. I would think it would be difficult for a company that does that kind of one-off stuff to deal with the legalities themselves. But I don't know if it would even be legal for them to claim that.
    I get my own shirts printed online all the time. I've used Vikings logos, movies, etc...the print shop will have legal wording that says they are not responsible for trademark infringement. But, anyway, let's be real here people, do you think NDSU cares if a random guy prints himself a t shirt for his own personal use? And even if they did, how in the hell would they know where you got it? Tell them you bought it at a thrift store.

Long story short, print the shirt

I'm in the camp of "If it's a one off thing or something for only your group and you're not trying to profit from it, go ahead and do it" but "If it's production retail/resale go through the proper channels."

My basement bar area will feature a lot of one off engravings that are distinctly NDSU but I will not be selling them/recreating them on my CNC mill for others unless I clear it with NDSU first.