Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: SDSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: SDSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

I cannot be overstated what a ballsy call that was by Entz to go for it on 4th down from his own 30 with under 3 minutes to play in a tie game. He only had 1 TO left and SDSU had a true freshman 3rd string QB in the game. They don't get that they have a high probability to lose. They punt they have a pretty high probability it goes to OT. Chris Klieman or Craig Bohl punt that ball 100 times out of 100. Entz would've been crucified by fans and media alike if they fail to cover that. Monster kudos to him for having the guts to make that call.

As far as the call to go for 2, I like the call in that situation just not the particular play call or execution. There's a big difference between an 11 point lead (TD + 2pt and a FG) and a 12 point lead (2 TDs). Not as much of a difference between a 10 and 11 point lead, just forces a team to go for 2 instead of kick the XP and with the way SDSU was running the ball I'd say the probability of them converting a 2pt play was pretty high.

Watson and Sproles lack the speed to separate from the Jacks DBacks. That will remain a limitation against teams with equal corners and safeties. Eliminating some big play potential.

I wanted us to go for it on 4th and agreed with the call.

NOT because it’s the right call. Normally, the superior team doesn’t make decisions that lose the game if you don’t make it. In this case there’s about a 99% chance of losing if we turn it over.

I wanted to go for it because our defense was getting abused and they have a great kicker.

I disagreed with the PAT2 at the time it was attempted. Actually before we even snapped the ball. The result (FG followed by TD to tie) affirms my opinion. Also based on their problems finishing in red zone. In other words, I think their PAT2 odds are lower than 50-50.

I hate the late hit penalty when the runner is still going upfield and just touched the line a split second before getting hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Watson and Sproles lack the speed to separate from the Jacks DBacks. That will remain a limitation against teams with equal corners and safeties. Eliminating some big play potential.
    Idk, I thought both but Watson especially have enough speed to burn teams. Both those guys had beaten their guys on long pass attempts at least once but Lance missed them. In Watsons case it was underthrown so it drew a PI but in Sproles case he just overthrew him.

I do think Sproles is better suited for the slot though. Get him in some mismatches against LBs and safeties and give Lance some easier throws. It's really frustrating me to see all these home run balls he's throwing but hardly anything in the short to intermediate passing game. They need to remember he's a freshman and call some high percentage pass plays that will help him get into a rhythm throwing the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Idk, I thought both but Watson especially have enough speed to burn teams. Both those guys had beaten their guys on long pass attempts at least once but Lance missed them. In Watsons case it was underthrown so it drew a PI but in Sproles case he just overthrew him.

I do think Sproles is better suited for the slot though. Get him in some mismatches against LBs and safeties and give Lance some easier throws. It's really frustrating me to see all these home run balls he's throwing but hardly anything in the short to intermediate passing game. They need to remember he's a freshman and call some high percentage pass plays that will help him get into a rhythm throwing the ball.
    Just to be clear, I don’t think they are slow by any means. Maybe the Jacks just have a lot of speed back there.

as good as Lance is, he is not a polished throwing qb....YET!

Another thing to remember is it's freaking hard to complete those deep throws at this level. If anyone remembers 2014 even Wentz as a 4th year junior was pretty sketchy throwing the deep ball that year missing guys pretty regularly. Lance is just a freshman and he will most likely never have the arm talent that Carson had. Just underscores the importance of designing more high percentage throws for him in the short to intermediate range. Roehl is a young OC so I'm sure it's easy to get caught up in the game and lose track of things like that but I hope they start making a concerted effort early in the game to give Lance some high percentage throws to get him in a better rhythm as the game goes on.

Coaching nearly lost that game, tired of the 2 pt tries, trick plays on 3rd and 2, wtf
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DCinOK View Post
    Kick the extra point. This swinging gate crap is high school nonsense.
    I agreed with you at the time, but thinking about it, it's all about forcing SDSU to score TDs, which they did very few of. They scored a pile of field goals, and as Entz learned from Kleiman, Field Goals Do Not Beat You.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post

I wanted us to go for it on 4th and agreed with the call.

NOT because it’s the right call. Normally, the superior team doesn’t make decisions that lose the game if you don’t make it. In this case there’s about a 99% chance of losing if we turn it over.

I wanted to go for it because our defense was getting abused and they have a great kicker.

I disagreed with the PAT2 at the time it was attempted. Actually before we even snapped the ball. The result (FG followed by TD to tie) affirms my opinion. Also based on their problems finishing in red zone. In other words, I think their PAT2 odds are lower than 50-50.

I hate the late hit penalty when the runner is still going upfield and just touched the line a split second before getting hit.

It is not always about speed. Quickness is the intangible that matters more. There are plenty of examples at all levels of guys that aren't the fastest being the best.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Coaching nearly lost that game, tired of the 2 pt tries, trick plays on 3rd and 2, wtf
    Makes me think back to the good old days in 2016, when we lost to JMU. Bisonville was furious at Polasek for his vanilla offense. Then yesterday Bisonville is screaming for "JUST RUN IT UP THE GUT!!"

Running it up the gut is always the right call against bad teams. JMU and SDSU are not bad teams.