Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: SDSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: SDSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    For those criticizing Entz's decision to go for 2 after their 2nd TD... it looks like in retrospect he agrees with you: https://twitter.com/BisonReport/stat...94262756290560
    The most concerning part about all of that to me was his reasoning he mentioned today. I was fine with the call, I think others have articulated why gonig for two made some sense. I also understand there is another POV. But choosing to go for two because of your emotions? That's not a good way to make decisions IMO.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

BisonHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Both of the midco announcers are former Jackrabbit players. I am pretty sure of that. They also do the Jackrabbit Journal weekly show. That may explain why they sit in silence during the biggest play of the game. Idiots
    you mess with the ^Bison^ you get the horns

Holy crap how unprofessional was that call on Midco? Must have had to turn their mics off because of the audible sobbing. Wow

EDIT: Also, I thought KVLY was bad with their cameras all locked on 10x zoom. I think I could count nose hairs on that Midco feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yeah, I listened to all of them... both TV calls and both radio calls. Midco TV definitely was the worst of the 4. Props to SDSU's radio guy, he had excitement in his voice even though it obviously wasn't going the way of his team. Shawn's call was better than Culhane's... Jeff still gets a little too worked up I think but it was kind of funny to hear his voice crack and you could almost picture him staring at Phil after Cofield scoring with his mouth wide open and a "Can you believe that just happened?!?!?" look on his face and Phil just shaking his head grinning.

We were talking in the tailgate lot after the game how that would've been a classic Scottie Miller call. In my imagination it was similar to the Walker to Heckendorf bomb that capped that unbelievable comeback at Cal Poly in '07: "Cofield breaks free down the sideline! He's at the midfield... the 40, 30, 20, 10... he's in! Touchdown Bison! They take a 22-16 lead with 2:32 left to play on a 71 yard touchdown run by Adam Cofield. The crowd at Dana J Dykhouse stadium is stunned! MYYYY oh my!"

RIP Scottie.
    Is it weird that when I read the last part of your post I started grinning at how dusty it suddenly became in my office?

Quote Originally Posted by marenlee View Post
    Talk about the most anti-climatic play-by-play call my MidCo when it came to the 4th and 1 TD run. I'll take Brian Shawn's call.

I have both videos right before the play happened. First is MidCo. Next is VNL.

https://youtu.be/xzVHnfo_loE?t=7753

https://youtu.be/a7zE8dyVMBU?t=7489
    B Shawn has obviously worked on his big play "growl" voice this last off season. Noticed it since the beginning of this season, he now has that voice he switches gears into during big plays. Avoids the Peter Brady voice change thing his voice used to do sometimes on big plays. I like it. Shows he's working on his craft.

Timmerman on the otherhand is as awkward as ever as words fall out of his mouth faster than his brain can form coherent thoughts.

Also is it weird that I've listened to so much of these play calls over the years that it's possible to notice and critique things at this level?

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Here are my thoughts after watching a recording of the game.

Play action was there all day as the Jacks were selling out to stop the run. If you watch the Halfback pass play they had 11 guys in the box and they all went were coming. If we play action the TE walk in. there were several times it was available. Also way too many out side runs with the QB when we were gashing them up the middle all day. The jet sweeps worked well but that's it on outside runs.

The 2 point conversion was just plain bad. They had seven guys to our five. You have ZERO chance converting that. Plus you always take the 11 point lead. Make them have to convert two. Plus don't forget a few years ago SDSU went for two and beat us in Fargo.

Very concerned about our run defense. Our run fits are HORRIBLE! Guys leave their gap way too much. Whats really concerning is we were dropping 8-9 in the box most of the 2nd half and we were still getting gashed. Also Ive noticed a trend this year as well. When its 3rd and long we are blitzing way too much and leaving guys wide open.

Everyone complaining about our QB should settle down. You can't just pass on 3rd and long to be successful or just throw bombs all day. Why we don't play action more and use our TEs more is mind boggling. Our OC for some reason has started to look very Polesek to me lately. He was mixing it up so nicely early. Seems like we go into a game with a plan(run the QB) was the plan this game and make no adjustments. Other teams have figured out we are running the QB a ton and they are taking it away. What happened to the QB waggle off of play action. What happened to WR screens? Those both work great with teams selling out to stop the run.

Last thing our LB;s are not filing very well on running plays. Standing flat footed way too often and letting O-lineman get their hands on them. When we do play downhill we make plays. Watch the tape. It doesn't lie. In years past if we knew a team was going to run we would shut it down. Saturday we knew they were going to run after their starting QB went out and honestly we didn't stop it.

Positives. Our O-line even with our vanilla offense has done very well. Very impressed by this group. Thought the offense was going to be our weakness. They have been impressive most of the year. I think we could be absolutely dominate with a better game plan. Our oline is playing lights out. Both run and pass blocking. Also Trey has zero INT;s Thats just crazy good. Not sure why we are so scared to open up the playbook. He has proved he takes care of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Matt Entz takes responsibility for the 2 point conversion. I respect a coach that actually admits he screwed up. Big props to coach Entz
    What a disaster.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    losing and moving up past JMU who won?? I have no problem with them dropping to 5, if NDSU would have lost they probably would have been in the 5-10 range
    I don’t like slot voting. Pick who you think is the best team, and the next, and the next. SDSU’s secondary looks far better than the dooks.

Their lines are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    The 2 point conversion was just plain bad. They had seven guys to our five. You have ZERO chance converting that. Plus you always take the 11 point lead. Make them have to convert two. Plus don't forget a few years ago SDSU went for two and beat us in Fargo.
    If a poor decision was made on the field this makes me feel better about Entz taking responsibility in the way he did in the presser.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Especially not to a place where they have to fly in and bus an hour to.
    I wonder how many fbs programs are located an hour+ bus ride from the airport? Think Wyo, Washinhton State, Colorado State, Kansas State etc

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt