Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: SDSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: SDSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Do you think that is a timing thing? When under center the Rams get a gap open and the next level can’t get lateral fast enough to close it off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When we are in the gun EVERYONE can see the ball while and after its snapped. Plus watch the way they hand it off. They stick it out there for all to see. That in itself drives me crazy..

While under center things happen faster and the D cant see how the play is developing. You can also use more misdirection while under center even though we usually dont use that tool.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Speed doesn't always create separation. Good route running does.
    Those yesterday were straight go routes so it was 100% about outrunning the corners. Happened 2-3 times.

I believe I saw the same vs Davis. Speedy secondary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Agreed. Maybe I'm oversimplifying it but it just seems like the FB and RB can play so much faster when they're in the I formation under center and have some momentum towards the LOS when the RB gets the ball rather than lined up next to the QB in the gun and faster play by the backs puts more pressure on the defense to make their fits.

Like I said that could be an over-simplistic way of looking at things but it makes sense to my simple mind, haha.
    I think the handoff freezes the linebacker and safeties for a second. Its harder to see with the QB getting low and they gotta prepare for the bootleg and the fullback. Gotta respect the old school play action.

In shotgun, the defense can see the exchange easier

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    But going for it on 4th and 1 might be my favorite call ever... our defense was playing on their heels.

Also, I'm pretty sure NDSU just reached in SDSU's chest cavity and ripped out their still beating heart.
    I 100% agree. I was really concerned our defense could make a stop. We seemed to struggle and not play assignment football (from my limited football knowledge).

I just watched the coaches show. Entz said the DE missed his assignment on that QB TD run. Should have been buried for a big loss.

Dewey
    Last edited by dewey; 10-28-2019 at 04:28 AM.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    What bothers me the most I think about this game was the penalty that took away a TD and the penalty that backed us up from their 4 yard line. They took two possible TDs off of the scoreboard.
    This 100%

With all the bitching about play calling, defensive game plan, etc etc...we really could have busted this thing open EARLY. Could you imagine how the game could have gone had we been up 17-6 at half and then 30-6 in the 3rd qtr? When they had their 3rd string qb in? It really should have been a bludgeoning.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    This 100%

With all the bitching about play calling, defensive game plan, etc etc...we really could have busted this thing open EARLY. Could you imagine how the game could have gone had we been up 17-6 at half and then 30-6 in the 3rd qtr? When they had their 3rd string qb in? It really should have been a bludgeoning.
    Same story the last couple weeks for the offense. Lack of focus/execution prevents them from putting up points. You look at the overall numbers they did quite well outside of total passing. 332 yards rushing at 7.5 ypc (even take away the 2 long runs that account for 130 yards of that and they still averaged 5 ypc). 8-15 on 3rd and 4th down. Won the turnover battle... won TOP. Just like last week you look at the box score and expect a final score with a bigger margin than it was. The good news is it's little things that need to be cleaned up to get back to the offensive output they had against Illinois St and UNI but the bad news is this is 2 straight games of these little mistakes adding up to cost them points. Hope to see them back on track next Saturday.

I'm not a coulda-should-woulda kind of guy, but I am not concerned about the playcalling whatsoever. there would be entire threads about how gutsy and incredible the the 2pt conversion was if we had gotten it, and conversely there would be multiple threads saying how dumb the 4th and inches was if we had gotten stuffed.

There were MASSIVE execution errors. Tons of penalties on our end that were legitimate. Trey missed 1 maybe two, OPEN receivers for would be touchdowns. The refs missed 3-4 Blasphemous holding penalties that would have stalled Jack Drives (this is not the reason the game was close- its just true) Refs totally missed tuska's strip sack (again didnt change the outcome at all but still). Missed field goal, Touchdown taken off the board for a correctly called Offensive PI etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

We play that game tomorrow with Gibbs in, we win by 3TDs. Not discounting SDSU- in fact, I think they are elite. But they played out of their minds and we (as someone aptly put it) "Emptied the entire clip into our feet", and we still came out with a victory. Not at all unlike the Davis game, actually

Kick About Bison said this was just like last year's game. 100% true.

Give it up to the Jacks- they played a HELL OF A GAME. the Fans absolutely brought it. I wasnt at KState, Iowa, or Iowas State, but this was the best away game atmosphere I had been to, including montana, and its not even close. holy Sh*t that was fun
    Last edited by MankatoBison; 10-28-2019 at 01:24 PM. Reason: forgot other mistakes we made
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    Give it up to the Jacks- they played a HELL OF A GAME. the Fans absolutely brought it. I wasnt at KState, Iowa, or Iowas State, but this was the best away game atmosphere I had been to, including montana, and its not even close. holy Sh*t that was fun
    Looked fun on TV. The camera was shaking at times.

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    Well said Mankato. Seriously, that could was better than the dome crowd for Homecoming. Hell, their students were there until the end. What a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I believe that would have been a TD if it weren't for the Sun in the eyes. If I remember correctly, there were a few passes late in the game affected by sunlight and I was questioning why they were throwing in this direction as opposed to the shade side of the field.
    Yeah that could be a rookie play caller gaffe right there. OTOH it could just be that is the corner they thought they could beat for the completion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.