Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: SDSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

HerdistheWord is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: SDSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    In Kolpack’s article in today’s Forum he discusses some of the recent YSU game at their house. Later in the article he recaps a few other things and most importantly for me he asked Entz why Kobe Johnson didn’t play against SDSU. He quoted Entz as saying Kobe wasn’t hurt and didn’t do anything wrong it was just that Johnson’s style didn’t fit the game plan. Can some of you with great football minds tell me what the hell that means? Kobe isn’t the scat back Ty is and perhaps not as great an inside runner as Colfield but I think he still does both well. So, what about the game plan made Kobe not fit in?
    Clearly they are saving him for the next SDSU game... in the playoffs....

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

In Kolpack’s article in today’s Forum he discusses some of the recent YSU game at their house. Later in the article he recaps a few other things and most importantly for me he asked Entz why Kobe Johnson didn’t play against SDSU. He quoted Entz as saying Kobe wasn’t hurt and didn’t do anything wrong it was just that Johnson’s style didn’t fit the game plan. Can some of you with great football minds tell me what the hell that means? Kobe isn’t the scat back Ty is and perhaps not as great an inside runner as Colfield but I think he still does both well. So, what about the game plan made Kobe not fit in?
    Great question that I doubt anyone without some form of inside information will be able to accurately answer.

We didnt throw much, so obviously pass pro shouldnt have been an issue.

We did keep a majority of our runs with the tailbacks between the tackles, so maybe with the other three bigger backs they felt like they had all they needed.

Perhaps with QB run so heavy in the gameplan, they wanted tailbacks with a little weight in the ass that could block an LB or safety.

Regardless, the kid is special and has big play ability written all over him. He needs consistent touches though otherwise he becomes a gimic player that defenses will key on.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

I think you're reading too much into it. This was Dimitri Williams first game back where he seemed to be back in his normal role as the 1a RB. Ty Brooks is the starter (FWIW I think Ty is better between the tackles than you seem to think - better than Kobe right now at least), Cofield is going to get his as the most physical RB, and the game plan was QB run heavy. That's 4 guys (and 3 RBs) getting carries ahead of Kobe. When it's a tight game the whole way through the 4th string RB probably isn't going to see much action. They only had two 10+ play drives and both were in the first half. In the 2nd half their longest drive was 7 plays. Had the game flow gone a little differently he probably would've gotten 4 of 5 carries but it just didn't work out that way. That's my take reading in between the lines.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    Our coaches overthought every aspect of this game, an easier win with Bison football was there for the taking, but our meathead coaches decided to make this game way more complicated than it needed to be. SDSU has a good team this year, with a better game plan we win that one by at least 2TDs. What a nonsensical answer to the Kobe question, could just as well have asked why we didn't run Cofield more, would have gotten another stupid answer. Two games in a row with a poor offensive game plan, once is chance, two is a coincidence, three is a pattern. If we don't straighten this out this week, who knows if Roehl has what it takes to put together a decent game plan for anything other than a Butler or UN_, he was so promising in those first four games, he's overthinking this thing.
    meathead coaching staff...how can this possibly be strictly just be on the coaches? There are easily a dozen plays over the last 2 games that were completely god awful execution that would have changed the outcome of the game. The players have not been anywhere close to as sharp as they were in week 1-6. Im not taking anything away from the coaches in terms of "blame", but when we're behind the sticks because of penalties or poor execution its not like we have a whole gamut of plays we can run. Everyone knows we arent built on converting long yardage downs...including the teams we play.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It was part of the game plan not to play Kobe, that's meathead thinking right there. We took one of our chess pieces off the table before the damn game, that's meathead.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It was part of the game plan not to play Kobe, that's meathead thinking right there. We took one of our chess pieces off the table before the damn game, that's meathead.
    You have 3 rb’s with experience/seniority (that means something) I don’t think we lose anything by not having Kobe touch the ball 3-4 times in this game. Somehow our meathead coaches still won this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going to hyper critique the gameplan re: Kobe but I still wonder why they pulled his redshirt with Saybein Clark able to fill some carries until Williams came back.

Armchair coaches gonna armchair coach but that's just my opinion.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I'm not going to hyper critique the gameplan re: Kobe but I still wonder why they pulled his redshirt with Saybein Clark able to fill some carries until Williams came back.

Armchair coaches gonna armchair coach but that's just my opinion.
    Yeah, I agree. I'd think Kobe would be a good kick returner (think Bruce Anderson role from 2015). Put him and Ty back there and they've got lethal speed on either side.

And we ran Trey way too much. He should have run half as much with 10 carries spread between the other 3 backs and Kobe. How about some play action and more short passes to one of our 3 fantastic TE's. Can someone explain to the coaches that the rules allow TEs to catch the football in areas of the field between the goal lines?

Our coaches overthought every aspect of this game, an easier win with Bison football was there for the taking, but our meathead coaches decided to make this game way more complicated than it needed to be. SDSU has a good team this year, with a better game plan we win that one by at least 2TDs. What a nonsensical answer to the Kobe question, could just as well have asked why we didn't run Cofield more, would have gotten another stupid answer. Two games in a row with a poor offensive game plan, once is chance, two is a coincidence, three is a pattern. If we don't straighten this out this week, who knows if Roehl has what it takes to put together a decent game plan for anything other than a Butler or UN_, he was so promising in those first four games, he's overthinking this thing.
    Hit this on the nail...
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?