Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 FCS Championship game on ABC

Default Re: 2020 FCS Championship game on ABC

The Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl is on ESPN2 when the traditional Friday night semifinal is on TV.

https://www.visitfrisco.com/event/20...sco-bowl/3181/

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401135261

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Doubtful... that's the first day of bowl season so I'm sure the GoDaddy.com Pizza Ranch Bowl (or something like that) will be on ESPN. That's why it's weird they would move away from the Friday night semi since that was the only football game on television that day and Saturday had plenty of competition.

Maybe ESPN and NCAA came to some compromise where the semis took a worse TV spot in return for the championship moving to ABC? Or maybe Dom is right and there's just a miscommunication at the NCAA. Hopefully the championship manual that Dom referenced that still shows the semis on two days is right rather than this site that Sam Herder was referencing.

EDIT: Herder confirmed with the NCAA that the web site he was talking about was right and both semis are on Saturday. The first will be at 1PM on ESPN2 and the 2nd will be at 5:30PM on ESPNU: https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/sta...54128485707776

*sigh*
    Last edited by Hammerhead; 11-07-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Couldn't this be done with the second Saturday game too. Although it won't be "night" by the time the game starts at 4:30 PM, it will be fairly dark.
    If it's true the ESPN likes to put the Bison in the slot that has the most potential eyeballs that would be the 1pm sat on ESPN2. No one checks ESPNU if they even have it as part of their package. It's for classics and talking heads.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Agree you can basically pencil in 1 PM for the semifinal. Is it okay to serve Tom and Jerry's in the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    OK. I’ll volunteer to ask the obvious: what does Nancy look like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Probably not too hot, she's been dead for two years.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Flow 2-3-4-5 View Post
    Will definitely miss the Friday night semi-final. Hopefully this is just a one year glitch. It’s always the best tailgate of the year - everyone a little tuned up with a few glasses of Christmas cheer, the usual return of “Georgia Southern loud” fans, and the whole place jumpin when Alabama’s “If You’re Gonna Play in Texas” is played in the 2nd half signifying another southern migration of Bison back to Frisco. It’s practically a holiday tradition!
    An Angel gets its wings and Bison Fans make travel plans.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This is actually the same scenario the MWC and the MAC fans face annually. What do you value more....more eyeballs or a better atmosphere? Personally, I will take the atmosphere. This is a national semifinal which is likely to be against the Jack's or Montana. I hope we push for the late game on ESPNU so that fans can better bring their A game. How many de facto national title games have been played in Fargo during the semi's? At least 3 for sure (GSU #2 in 2012, JMU in 2016, and SDSU in 2018.) For those at home, that means 3 of the last 8 National Championships were decided in Fargo.
    Last edited by AKBison; 11-08-2019 at 10:39 PM.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Agree you can basically pencil in 1 PM for the semifinal. Is it okay to serve Tom and Jerry's in the morning?
    Cue some dumbass with the "We should be focused on one game at a time..." bullshit...

These are often some of the same jackasses that buy their NC tickets in August. (Like me.)
    Insert something clever here...

From McFeely's interview with Dan Margulis, senior director of programming at ESPN, it seems like the semifinal move from Friday night to Saturday will only be temporary: https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-...-slides-to-ABC

In another move, ESPN bumped both FCS playoff semifinal games to Saturday, Dec. 21, this year instead of having one semifinal on Friday night and one on Saturday. Margulis said that switch is strictly calendar-related because, ironically, the Frisco Bowl will be Friday, Dec. 20, at 6:30 p.m. and it will be carried by ESPN2. In the past, a Friday night semifinal has been carried by ESPN.

"I actually like having one of those semifinals on ESPN on Friday night," Margulis said. "They've really embraced those semifinal games up in Fargo, done a good job with them. I personally like having those games on Friday night."

This year's semifinal games will kick off at 1 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. CST. The 1 p.m. game will be on ESPN2, while the 5:30 game will be carried by ESPNU. Margulis said if the ESPN calendar allows, future FCS semifinal games will be played on Fridays.
    So I guess we have to hope those Bowl games the last Friday before Christmas are moved next year and beyond. Not sure why they got moved this year but hopefully that's just temporary as well.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

I am outraged.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    I am outraged.
    Ha!

If we can’t have a Friday night home semifinal game, then we don’t want one at all!