Thread: Is Women's wrestling on the horizon at NDSU?

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Is Women's wrestling on the horizon at NDSU?

With the NCAA recomending to add women's wrestling as an emerging sport over the summer will we eventually see it at NDSU? It also sounds like the Ndhsaa is very close to sponsoring a state tournament if they can find a couple more schools to sponsor it. When you attend kids USA wrestling tournaments there seem to be more and more girls wrestling every year so my guess is that it is catching on

From a program perspective, it is no secret that men's wrestling is Title IX's whipping boy so perhaps starting a women's program is a great way to stem the tide or even grow it at the NCAA level. Thoughts?

Default Re: Is Women's wrestling on the horizon at NDSU?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    With the NCAA recomending to add women's wrestling as an emerging sport over the summer will we eventually see it at NDSU? It also sounds like the Ndhsaa is very close to sponsoring a state tournament if they can find a couple more schools to sponsor it. When you attend kids USA wrestling tournaments there seem to be more and more girls wrestling every year so my guess is that it is catching on

From a program perspective, it is no secret that men's wrestling is Title IX's whipping boy so perhaps starting a women's program is a great way to stem the tide or even grow it at the NCAA level. Thoughts?
    I know the University of Jamestown already has a womens wrestling team, and they participated in their first national tourney last march.

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    I know the University of Jamestown already has a womens wrestling team, and they participated in their first national tourney last march.
    Jamestown has had a Women's program for quite awhile now. One of my friends, Tony DeAnda, and his wife, Dany, use to coach there before moving on to a school in Montana.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I think this makes a ton more sense for NDSU than equestrian or crew.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I think this makes a ton more sense for NDSU than equestrian or crew.
    The difficulty we're running into is coaches trying to make Women's College Wrestling use American Folkstyle rules as oppose to the Freestyle (Olympic style) rules they've been using since small colleges started women's wrestling nearly a few decade ago.

We also are running into major college wrestling coaches claiming that women's wrestling will cut men's scholarships in half if they add women, which is dumb and purposely misleading as this didn't happen when schools added women programs in sports like basketball.

Still a lot of bumps in the road for something that will happen and needs to happen, especially for the vitality of the sport itself.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I told my wife that my daughter should get into wrestling because she can beat the tar out of my son who is 4 years older than her and 1 1/2 times bigger (granted he's sort of a softie and knows he could hurt her if he really went all out, but she has that no fear mentality that she can take on someone bigger than her). But I left the decision up to my daughter as she saw many of my son's matches and practices, knew what it was about, even told her she could just do practice and not any of the tournaments just so that she could see what she could do. But she said she didn't want to. Needless to say I was a bit disappointed! Oh well she seems to have an interest in volleyball and basketball sort of.

More girls are doing it at youth tournaments. Down side is getting into middle school HS ages they lack any good consistent competition, because the boys are a different athlete than them where it is slightly unfair? Maybe that'll change soon here, ND wrestling has started a youth state tournament for girls.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.