Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 and 2021 Recruiting

Default 2020 and 2021 Recruiting

Kellyn March and Ryan Henningson already committed as part of the 2020 recruiting class, but it has been pretty quiet outside of that.

Most of the top Minnesota kids have already committed elsewhere, but I'd imagine we'll see NDSU pick up a few of the top uncommitted guys. Bad news is MN and ND don't have a ton of available top recruits the next two years.

Isaiah Thompson is a great athlete out of DL, who tore his ACL during football. I've heard he wants to do both football and Wrestling in college, but that rarely happens, especially outside of D3. To be fair, Fresno State RB/197/HWT Josh Hokit was an All American last year and has been the short yardage back for their football team the past couple years. Assuming a full recovery, Thompson has the athleticism to wrestle at the D1 level. He is a 2 time state champ in wrestling.

Looking at 2021 and beyond, NDSU had an in house visit with the #HWT recruit, Hayden Coppas (Illinois), before he committed to Wisconsin. Like to get the next heavyweight in one of the next two classes.

The Tanefeu twins appeared to be on a visit at the last football game too. They haven't been wrestling long but they are two lightweight recruits out of Bismarck who have enormous potential. They've both won national championships and are very sought after (with Wilfried likely the bigger recruit on account of his slightly higher weight and freestyle national title). They were at the big house for a game a couple weeks ago.

Default Re: 2020 and 2021 Recruiting

Seems like we should be recruiting better since we lose a lot of wrestlers after this year such as Fogerty, Eaton, Stibral, De la Riva, and Sykora. I think March is a good recruit but Henningson is more questionable. We did recruit a lot of guys last year but did not lose much, Moser, Gamet, Habisch, Ripplinger, Weber and Wokojance are pretty good recruits. However not 1 of these wrestlers are on Flo's top 100 for the 2019 class.

Michael Peterson of Byron (141) has committed to NDSU. He has one state championship and a runner up finish.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Kellyn March and Ryan Henningson already committed as part of the 2020 recruiting class, but it has been pretty quiet outside of that.

Most of the top Minnesota kids have already committed elsewhere, but I'd imagine we'll see NDSU pick up a few of the top uncommitted guys. Bad news is MN and ND don't have a ton of available top recruits the next two years.

Isaiah Thompson is a great athlete out of DL, who tore his ACL during football. I've heard he wants to do both football and Wrestling in college, but that rarely happens, especially outside of D3. To be fair, Fresno State RB/197/HWT Josh Hokit was an All American last year and has been the short yardage back for their football team the past couple years. Assuming a full recovery, Thompson has the athleticism to wrestle at the D1 level. He is a 2 time state champ in wrestling.

Looking at 2021 and beyond, NDSU had an in house visit with the #HWT recruit, Hayden Coppas (Illinois), before he committed to Wisconsin. Like to get the next heavyweight in one of the next two classes.

The Tanefeu twins appeared to be on a visit at the last football game too. They haven't been wrestling long but they are two lightweight recruits out of Bismarck who have enormous potential. They've both won national championships and are very sought after (with Wilfried likely the bigger recruit on account of his slightly higher weight and freestyle national title). They were at the big house for a game a couple weeks ago.
    These two should be the main focus right now IMO. The ceiling for these two is very high considering how new to the sport they are and the immediate success they have had.

Looks like coach Blanc paid a visit to Connor Knopik from Nebraska. He's a class of 2021 recruit and US Cadet Greco World Team member

The Guillotine (MN amateur wrestling source) came out with their pound for pound class rankings.
    For the 2020 class:
    Mitchell Petersen (Byron, NDSU verbal commit) is #6.
    Ryan Henningson (Winona, NDSU signee) is #16.

For the uncommitted 2020 guys:
    Tim Stapleton (Waconia) is the highest ranked uncommitted at #7.
    Isaiah Thompson (Detroit Lakes) is #8. I'd really like to see him at NDSU. It appears he visited SDSU for football last spring. He is also coming off a torn ACL this past fall.

For 2021, the state of MN has a bunch of high quality recruits:
    Derrick Cardinal is #4
    Jaxson Rohman is #5
    Quayin Short is #8. He would be my #1 target and could be a great get.
    Cael Berg is #10, and another guy I'd be thrilled with NDSU getting.
    Blake West is #11.

https://theguillotine.com/2019/11/th...november-2019/

NDSU signed Gavan Sax out of Missouri today. I have never seen him wrestle but he projects as a 157/165 and is ranked #20 in the country at 152 by InterMat. He hasn't won a state title but recently won preseason nationals over some big names. He knocked off Maxx Mayfield for the title, who is committed to Northwestern and is currently ranked #9 in the country at 152.

I still haven't seen anything official from NDSU on Peterson signing, but I was told he did indeed sign.

With only signing Sax, Peterson, Henningson, and March, and graduating Stibral, Fogarty, Sykora, De La Riva, and Eaton, I would expect us to be active on the transfer portal.

NDSU had Caleb Coyle in for a visit recently. Lightweight recruit out of Nebraska who has been making the rounds at the B12 schools.

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Maybe it’s been covered on here and I missed it but why is Corey Gamet no longer on the roster?
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    Maybe it’s been covered on here and I missed it but why is Corey Gamet no longer on the roster?
    This is the first I heard about it. That's too bad. The guys that leave our program early don't usually go on to more wrestling success, so this isn't a good sign. I didn't see Otomo on the roster either.

Carlos Negrete Jr, of national powerhouse Buchanon HS in California, commits to NDSU. He's a HS junior (class of 2021) wrestling at 120 for one of the top programs in the country.

He's Intermat's #26 junior in the country, #32 by TOM, and #58 by Flo and projects as a 125 pounder. This is a really good, high level get for NDSU.

Seems to have a clear path to be the 125 of the future for after Gamet left
    Last edited by Big Bird; 02-14-2020 at 05:25 PM.