Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 and 2021 Recruiting

Default Re: 2020 and 2021 Recruiting

NDSU picked up another 2022 recruit, and one I really like, in Gavin Drexler out of Wisconsin. He won his 2nd state title this year, by beating a 2 time state champ 12-4. He is also a former Fargo Cadet Greco runner up.

NDSU has been after him for a while, and he becomes a possible replacement for JVM or Droegemueller. He's #150 in the 2022 class by Rokfin (#109 by TOM), and I think that's probably ~75 spots too low.

If Peterson sticks with his commitment, Drexler and Peterson could be a really good future 141/149 combo.

NDSU got Drexler, who turned down scholarship offers from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arkansas Little Rock, and Northern Illinois, among others.

Also, 2021 signee Juan Mora has been on an absolute roll this summer and is ranked as a top 5 heavyweight now, and looks to be a potential really high end HWT for NDSU. He's been wrecking guys with a quick snatch single, and he's so good at finishing it very quickly.

Alex Ramirez placed 1st at NHSCA nationals wrestling 152lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie released his most expansive rankings to date. He ranked the top 300 in the 2021 class and NDSU is well represented.
    #58 Carlos Negrete - He's dropped a good amount, but that's largely due to California cancelling their 2021 season while most of the country had a season. He hasn't been active in national tournaments either. I'm not worried, as long as he's been able to continue practicing.
    #69 Alex Ramirez - I still haven't seen an announcement with him signing his letter of intent. Hoping he still comes in, because he has the talent to be the long term answer at 149.
    #74 - Michael Caliendo - He's been really good in the offseason nationally, although he doesn't have a bunch of signature wins. He has a great chance to be the long term 174.
    #78 - DJ Parker - Really athletic and a decently big riser. Parker does have a chance to be the long term answer at 184 if Nelson doesn't improve.
    #87 - Juan Mora - I actually expected him to rise a bit more. He definitely has looked like the long term solution to replace Metz at HWT.
    #105 - Dominik Vacura - He was fine in the regualr season, I just don't see him beating Mora. Maybe he leans up and gives 197 a shot.
    #233 - Spencer Mooberry - He looks like a solid get, just needs to keep improving his technique.
    #243 - Cole Gripka - Another heavyweight option. Really curious to see how this plays out with Vacura, Mora, and Gripka all coming in the same class and looking like heavyweights.

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Krattinger transfers to Minnesota
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Rokfin/Willie has NDSU at #16 in the 2021 recruiting rankings. 2 quotes stood out: 1, "It’s the best class in Bison history and there’s going to be plenty of opportunity for these guys to make their mark. Perhaps no other program in the country this year will incur so much gain from a single class as NDSU will with this one." 2. "And while the class lacks top end horsepower, they make up for it in a lot of ways with rather untapped potential."

Intermat, which is owned by Willie now, has NDSU at #15.

Oklahoma St 125 pounder Jakason Burks has entered the transfer portal. Highly recruited out of Omaha went 6-2 in his freshman season. Looks like he’s the OSU backup at 125. Might make sense with the lack of depth at 125 unless Negrete is for sure going to wrestle there and not 133.

Looks like former Bison Luke Rasmussen has signed with his home state Illinois Fighting Illini

Michigan 197 pounder Gabe Garcia entered the transfer portal. He was a top 25 recruit coming out of high school that also plays football. He was on the roster at Michigan for both sports (plays RB) this past season. Flo Wrestling on their podcast today said that he still wants to play both sports and will probably be looking for an FCS school that is solid in both. They suggested on the show that Roger Kish pick up the phone. Probably not a weight of need but an interesting thought.

Flo wrestling released its final top 100 Big Board for the 2021 class. NDSU have four in the top 100
    #52 Michael Caliendo 160
    #61 Juan Mora 285
    #68 Carlos Negrete 125
    #100 Alex Ramirez 152

The bunnies have two
    #24 Alex Martin 145
    #44 Cael Swenson 152

Gophers have five
    #23 Bennett Tabor 285
    #53 Drew Roberts 145
    #70 Tagen Jamison 138
    #91 Vance Vombauer 145
    #99 Jager Eisch 138

NDSU has two more commitments for the 2021 class that I missed.

Noah Kovick, a 2x state champ out of Montana who projects as another 197.

Ryan Watts, a kid who placed 7th in the 2020 CA state tournament and projects as a 141. His brother Zach, was a freshman for NDSU this year.

NDSU is also tweeting out graphics on some of their commits today, and still nothing on top 100 recruit and CA state champ Alex Ramirez. At this point, I'm not expecting him but I do hope he winds up on the roster. He could be the answer at 149.

This is the largest class I can remember for NDSU. Bringing in a ton of bodies and I'm interested and excited to see them in some of the open tournaments this year.