Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: UNI Post Game Thoughts & Discussion.

Default Re: UNI Post Game Thoughts & Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    For cripes sake you guys, he also said the official had to SEE it. Doesn’t make a difference how far the helmet rolled or whatever other criteria the junior detectives come up with.

Officials should not call what they think happened. Only what they see. Apparently no official SAW anything that was a foul. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Line Judge had an unobstructed view of it from about 10-20 feet away. Not sure whether it was his call to make or not but there was nothing out there to block multiple officials' view of the play. If I was a coach and I was told by an official that they didn't see a violation on a play like that I'd be pretty frustrated. But referees screw up from time to time just like players and coaches do. In general I think MVFC referees are better than some of the clown crews we see in the playoffs.

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Officials should not call what they think happened. Only what they see. Apparently no official SAW anything that was a foul. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.
    Perspective, everyone watching the game has a different viewing angle. Literally and figuratively. I fully agree the refs should not call what they don't see.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Line Judge had an unobstructed view of it from about 10-20 feet away. Not sure whether it was his call to make or not but there was nothing out there to block multiple officials' view of the play. If I was a coach and I was told by an official that they didn't see a violation on a play like that I'd be pretty frustrated. But referees screw up from time to time just like players and coaches do. In general I think MVFC referees are better than some of the clown crews we see in the playoffs.
    Was this a new crew in town last week? At a minimum I did not recognize the White hat as being there before as a white hat. I thought they did a good job with the exception of the two calls being debated. There will always be missed calls. That just happens. Win some and lose some.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Was this a new crew in town last week? At a minimum I did not recognize the White hat as being there before as a white hat. I thought they did a good job with the exception of the two calls being debated. There will always be missed calls. That just happens. Win some and lose some.
    I've seen that white hat watching some other MVFC games on ESPN3/+ earlier this season but I'm pretty sure he's new this year at least. I didn't have a big problem with how the game was officiated. They let UNI get away with some stuff but there was a few times I put my hands on my head expecting laundry to come out against an NDSU player and it didn't so they appeared to be pretty consistent at least and they let the players be physical on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    From replay in dome it wasn't real clear, definitely not a facemask that was grabbed but appeared to me he got his fingers inside the edge in the eyes area of the helmet where it is a bit wider gap. Somehow in the process off the tackle he was able to pull on that edge hard enough that when Sproles bounced his helmet popped off but it wasn't an obvious pull and only seeing one replay in dome and I haven't gone back and watched TV broadcast. Sproles didn't get up for awhile but he did trot off the field and did return to the game, so obviously something didn't feel good for him for awhile. My memory may be bad on this as I kind of moved on and didn't think much of it I guess.

Not saying it should have been called one way or another. just his hand placement in live action I thought it was a facemask but then saw the replay wasn't really sure after that.
    JJ on radio said he had blood all over his chin and they were counting his teeth when he got back to the sideline.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    That's why I'm always weirded out the the bull tackles that happen around the neck. that's a bad spot to grab.
    Correct. A face mask foul applies if the opponent grabs any helmet opening or face mask and twists or pulls. That includes the opening where the head goes into the helmet. If the official determined the edge under the helmet was grabbed and pulled that could be a foul as well.

One little secret I'll let you in on. If the official is watching the runner they are often watching the wrong thing. The hardest thing to get used to when you start officiating is NOT watching the ball because you are so used to watching football by watching the ball. You need to be watching the blocks in and around the runner or action in your area. If you watch the runner you'll miss that illegal block in front of the runner or the pile picker away from the play. On a sideline run you'll need to watch the feet to see if they step out of bounds and may miss something up high. Once the runner is getting tackled you'll focus on him for these types of fouls or fumble/down. Until then you rarely need to watch the runner directly.

There is an art to doing this really well and we are always working to get better at that art. Some are better than others. Those in the MVFC are really good, but they aren't NFL or B1G or even MAC good.

I agree with B4L's comments. Any time I see a defender tackle high I say something to him even though what he did was perfectly legal. By getting your hands or arms up there you are putting yourself at risk of committing a foul. These kinds of fouls are very rarely intentional and mean no malice. They just happen. Another good example of that is a chop block (high/low). Almost every chop block foul I've had I heard the lineman yelling at each other after the play. "I told you not to block the guy I was cutting!" or "Why did you cut my guy?"

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I've seen that white hat watching some other MVFC games on ESPN3/+ earlier this season but I'm pretty sure he's new this year at least. I didn't have a big problem with how the game was officiated. They let UNI get away with some stuff but there was a few times I put my hands on my head expecting laundry to come out against an NDSU player and it didn't so they appeared to be pretty consistent at least and they let the players be physical on both sides.
    I don't know the R but I knew a couple other guys on the field. One was working his first game in Fargo and the other had worked there many times. The announcers made a comment about the crew working there for the first time which is true for this year, but it's very likely there members of the crew had worked there previously. The MVFC is part of an organization known as the COC. It's something like College Officials Coalition. It includes the officiating staffs of the B1G, MAC, and MVFC. When they are hiring officials into the COC you could end up working any of those conferences so they are looking in the entire footprint of all those conferences. That includes everything from the Dakotas to Maryland and New York. I think they had guys from the east coast on this crew. The R may be new to that position, but that doesn't mean he was new to the MVFC. He could have worked other positions in the past.

Crews are dynamic year to year based on promotions, retirements and dismissals. If you do well in the MVFC you will be moved to a MAC crew and then to a B1G crew. That process can take years

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

For cripes sake you guys, he also said the official had to SEE it. Doesn’t make a difference how far the helmet rolled or whatever other criteria the junior detectives come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I assume the officials didn't see it or weren't sure what they saw and that's why no flag. Honestly, I watched the replay 4 or 5 times before I was sure what happened when I finally noticed the helmet was flung down the sideline. I'm not complaining about the officials, us junior detectives need something to critique being we just obliterated another top 10 team.

And I believe they said on the broadcast that the officiating crew was from the east coast. At any rate, I didn't really notice the officials during the game save a few plays that were discussed: 1) missed false start on UNI first touchdown (ok, I was mad they missed this one), 2) helmet pulled off, and 3) late hit on the sidelines.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    I assume the officials didn't see it or weren't sure what they saw and that's why no flag. Honestly, I watched the replay 4 or 5 times before I was sure what happened when I finally noticed the helmet was flung down the sideline. I'm not complaining about the officials, us junior detectives need something to critique being we just obliterated another top 10 team.

And I believe they said on the broadcast that the officiating crew was from the east coast. At any rate, I didn't really notice the officials during the game save a few plays that were discussed: 1) missed false start on UNI first touchdown (ok, I was mad they missed this one), 2) helmet pulled off, and 3) late hit on the sidelines.
    The referee was from the east coast. The rest are likely dispersed throughout the B1G/MAC/MVFC footprint. The two I know are from Ohio and Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    That hemet was ripped off.
    Dirty play similar to the a-hole LB from the Jack's with the alligator roll used on Bruce's leg a couple years ago. Should be at least a 2 game suspension or death via yucca plant

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt