Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: UNI Post Game Thoughts & Discussion.

Default Re: UNI Post Game Thoughts & Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I don't remember the play where the runner's helmet came off. Helmets pop off all the time because players don't always wear them tight enough. Unless you saw the defender grab a helmet opening (face mask, ear hole, outside edge) you can't flag it for a face mask personal foul. This sometimes happens in a pile of players or the covering official is shielded from the helmet of the runner. You can't guess that it was pulled off.

I think I saw the play by 94 you are talking about. It jumped out at me live as a possible hit out of bounds. The runner was going up the sideline with him behind the runner. There was another defender between 94 and the runner who legally hit the runner near the sideline and rode him out of bounds. The contact by 94 appeared to be while the runner was out of bounds, but all his contact was against his teammate. I assumed that was why the official passed. Doesn't mean he was right or he will be graded as a correct call, but that's what I saw on video.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    From replay in dome it wasn't real clear, definitely not a facemask that was grabbed but appeared to me he got his fingers inside the edge in the eyes area of the helmet where it is a bit wider gap. Somehow in the process off the tackle he was able to pull on that edge hard enough that when Sproles bounced his helmet popped off but it wasn't an obvious pull and only seeing one replay in dome and I haven't gone back and watched TV broadcast. Sproles didn't get up for awhile but he did trot off the field and did return to the game, so obviously something didn't feel good for him for awhile. My memory may be bad on this as I kind of moved on and didn't think much of it I guess.

Not saying it should have been called one way or another. just his hand placement in live action I thought it was a facemask but then saw the replay wasn't really sure after that.
    They had the play on the Coach's show (4:18 mark if the video doesn't automatically start there):

Looked like he got his fingers in the earhole or in the opening under the earhole and flung him down with that grip causing the helmet to come off. Didn't seem like a malicious play by the UNI defender (who was their punt returner involved in the incident later in the game) but it certainly seemed just as dangerous as a traditional facemask grab/yank and it looked like Sproles helmet-less head smacked the turf and that's why he was slow to get up.

EDIT: The play where #94 for UNI piles on Kobe Johnson out of bounds starts at the 5:30 mark as well.

Anyone have a link to Farley in post game presser?

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hansen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisman View Post
    UNI post game presser imbedded in the video link above. Farley comes on at the 10:50 mark.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hansen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    They had the play on the Coach's show (4:18 mark if the video doesn't automatically start there):

Looked like he got his fingers in the earhole or in the opening under the earhole and flung him down with that grip causing the helmet to come off. Didn't seem like a malicious play by the UNI defender (who was their punt returner involved in the incident later in the game) but it certainly seemed just as dangerous as a traditional facemask grab/yank and it looked like Sproles helmet-less head smacked the turf and that's why he was slow to get up.

EDIT: The play where #94 for UNI piles on Kobe Johnson out of bounds starts at the 5:30 mark as well.
    When helmets pop off, they roll a yard or two. When helmets get ripped off, they roll 10 yards or so. Everyone can draw their own conclusions as to whether the helmet popped off or was ripped off. The replay speaks for itself. If anyone is interested in what my conclusion is, which I'm sure I can count on zero fingers the number of people interested in my conclusions, the helmet rolled a long ways.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

You can get the same leverage on the bottom of the helmet edge at the right angle without ever having reached in. Looks like that.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To me it looks like he got him high, its the right arm that pops the helmet off. I think a fair argument could be, "tighten up the chin strap".
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    You can get the same leverage on the bottom of the helmet edge at the right angle without ever having reached in. Looks like that.
    Pretty sure that's still a penalty though. Indy said face mask, ear hole, or outside edge is, by definition, a penalty. In any case, it didn't really have an impact on the game since Sproles came back and they continued to move the ball on that drive anyway. There didn't seem to be any intent from the UNI guy to do anything illegal or dangerous but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been flagged.

Pretty sure that's still a penalty though. Indy said face mask, ear hole, or outside edge is, by definition, a penalty. In any case, it didn't really have an impact on the game since Sproles came back and they continued to move the ball on that drive anyway. There didn't seem to be any intent from the UNI guy to do anything illegal or dangerous but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been flagged.
    That's why I'm always weirded out the the bull tackles that happen around the neck. that's a bad spot to grab.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My daughter called me today and Telluride for Thanksgiving. I said ok. Doing Breck after Christmas. Tony sucks

For cripes sake you guys, he also said the official had to SEE it. Doesn’t make a difference how far the helmet rolled or whatever other criteria the junior detectives come up with.

Officials should not call what they think happened. Only what they see. Apparently no official SAW anything that was a foul. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk