Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
Are you running wired or wireless connections? I saw massive improvements when I switched everything over to wired.
I completely agree with this. When I ditched DirecTV and committed to streaming only I wired everything except IoT devices that are not entertainment based. This makes a huge difference. All my internal switches are 1 Gbps and I see a massive difference in internal network bandwidth using that rather than the 100 Mbps wifi signal. Much more improvement than the theoretical 10x speed advantage would imply. This is due to frequent transmission errors on the wifi signal compared to near zero transmission error in the wired signal.

As an example I elected to do a clean install of a new version of Mac OS on one of my workstations this week. Doing this requires use of my wifi to restore the data from a previous backup. The workstation contained nearly one terabyte of data and as such the data restore took nearly 22 hours over wifi. The same restore over the wired interface takes between two and three hours at most.