Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU v UNI - Homecoming Rivalry Week!

Default Re: NDSU v UNI - Homecoming Rivalry Week!

Quote Originally Posted by 123Gobison View Post
    UNI & Upper Iowa Sports talk radio host Gary Rima had this to say about NDSU Bison
    Please listen from the 100 minute mark.
    https://www.spreaker.com/user/onpres...=episode_title
    Is NDSU better than 50% of FBS teams? Probably.

Is NDSU better than 70% of FBS teams? Maybe.

Is NDSU better than 100% of Iowa teams? Definitely.

In looking at Northern Iowa’s 2-deep (page 8)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit.../10/8/NDSU.pdf

there are some familiar names from recruiting, especially Minnesota players.
    If anyone remembers a different version, please correct.

- Isaiah Weston is at WR, from Albertville, don’t remember NDSU offering and always wondered why (good thing Bison got Christian Watson recruited). Weston was a great track athlete also and this year has 18 receptions for 381 yards, 4 TD’s as a sophomore.

- Elerson Smith - 6’ 5” 230 - DE - sophomore - don’t remember NDSU involved

- Jevon Brekke - 6’ 3” 209 - R - sophomore - DeLaSalle HS - another recognizable name I also don’t remember NDSU being involved with, but always wondered why.

- Omar Brown - 6’ 190 - FR - CB - Minneapolis North - NDSU had an early offer to. Now starting as a true freshman for the Panthers.

Non-Minnesota names include:

- Tristan Roper - 6’ 5” 280 - OT - Blue Springs MO - 2nd team as a true frosh - NDSU offered

- Trevor Penning - OT - Clear Lake IA - 6’ 7” 321 - NDSU offered his “little brother” Jared - 6’ 6” - who went with UNI instead

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Haha good listen and the host says what we've been saying for years.

His cohost is a dork with the cliche "go to camp randall, kinnick then host ohio state and see how you do" line.

Ok ndsu would challenge Wisconsin and iowa and probably get blown out by ohio st like most teams barely do outside of the top 25.

I guess he doesnt consider teams having 100,000,000 more dollars in their athletic budget too.
    I quit listening at 107:45 when that dork said it wasn't legal for an FBS school to go into a game at a FCS's home field. Really? Did I hear him right? Haven't read the rest of this thread, so maybe one you guys have already commented on that remark.

Quote Originally Posted by Uffda View Post
    I quit listening at 107:45 when that dork said it wasn't legal for an FBS school to go into a game at a FCS's home field. Really? Did I hear him right? Haven't read the rest of this thread, so maybe one you guys already commented on that remark.
    Yes officer, I'm at the Fargodome and I'd like to report a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Yes officer, I'm at the Fargodome and I'd like to report a beating.
    Coach Farley? We were expecting your call. Get over it.
    Last edited by Uffda; 10-11-2019 at 04:29 AM.

Here's my assessment of UNI after watching their last three games (yes, in reverse order) against Youngstown State, Weber State and Idaho State:

The good: Their defense. Although not great, they are very disciplined against the run, especially with gap assignment. I didn't see them as a team that stacked the box a lot, but when it came to tackling the ball carrier, they attacked like a pack of dogs after a three-legged cat. They can give up big runs when they lacked focus, but when they're on, like they were against YSU compared to the other two teams, they are stingy on the ground.

The pass defense isn't nearly as good as their run defense as they gave up big throws in all three games, but they do have talenedt DBs that will battle with the Bison WRs.

The bad (somewhat): Their special teams. They have a good FG kicker and decent punter, but their kick return game isn't very good and probably why I would expect a lot of fair catches from them on Saturday. This aspect was a big reason for their issues against Weber State.

The ugly: Their offense. Not the worse we'll see this year, but everything relies on the gutty performances of Will McElvain. He's not a too terrible passer, but gets his yardage after scrambling like Fran Tarkenton. He doesn't have great speed, but has excellent quickness. How he matches up with NDSU's front four will be interesting. In the last game I watched (Idaho State), I noticed a slight nuance of his that might be able to help the Bison defense guess if the play is a pass or run. While in shot-gun formation, if McElvain took a long look at his sideline, the play most likely was a pass. If he stared straight ahead at the lineman, the play usually was a run.

Like the Redbirds from last week, the Panthers have monstrous linemen. However, this didn't translate well into a good run game or pass protection for them in all three games. As mentioned above, this will be interesting with the Bison front four.

I see this game as brawl because it always is due to the two programs history with each other. Conservatively, I say the Bison should win by at least 15. If the Bison can break the Panther's will, this game could be a similar result to last week's game against the Redbirds.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Here's my assessment of UNI after watching their last three games (yes, in reverse order) against Youngstown State, Weber State and Idaho State:

The good: Their defense. Although not great, they are very disciplined against the run, especially with gap assignment. I didn't see them as a team that stacked the box a lot, but when it came to tackling the ball carrier, they attacked like a pack of dogs after a three-legged cat. They can give up big runs when they lacked focus, but when they're on, like they were against YSU compared to the other two teams, they are stingy on the ground.

The pass defense isn't nearly as good as their run defense as they gave up big throws in all three games, but they do have talenedt DBs that will battle with the Bison WRs.

The bad (somewhat): Their special teams. They have a good FG kicker and decent punter, but their kick return game isn't very good and probably why I would expect a lot of fair catches from them on Saturday. This aspect was a big reason for their issues against Weber State.

The ugly: Their offense. Not the worse we'll see this year, but everything relies on the gutty performances of Will McElvain. He's not a too terrible passer, but gets his yardage after scrambling like Fran Tarkenton. He doesn't have great speed, but has excellent quickness. How he matches up with NDSU's front four will be interesting. In the last game I watched (Idaho State), I noticed a slight nuance of his that might be able to help the Bison defense guess if the play is a pass or run. While in shot-gun formation, if McElvain took a long look at his sideline, the play most likely was a pass. If he stared straight ahead at the lineman, the play usually was a run.

Like the Redbirds from last week, the Panthers have monstrous linemen. However, this didn't translate well into a good run game or pass protection for them in all three games. As mentioned above, this will be interesting with the Bison front four.

I see this game as brawl because it always is due to the two programs history with each other. Conservatively, I say the Bison should win by at least 15. If the Bison can break the Panther's will, this game could be a similar result to last week's game against the Redbirds.
    Love the assessment, CM!
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

No travel out of Jamestown area and not looking good all day. Hope plows are able to get out Saturday morning.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    No travel out of Jamestown area and not looking good all day. Hope plows are able to get out Saturday morning.
    I figured you would have come down last night
    FCS Survivor Pick Em Winners
    2014: Sams Rams 2015: Taper 2016: CalBison97 2017: JDZ 2018: Bookem 2019: MrPepBand 2020: ndsubison1 2021: MrPepBand 2022: HuskerBizon and gavin2126 2023: TransAmBison
    FBS G5 Survivor Pick Em Winners
    2023: KSBisonFan
    FBS P5 Survivor Pick Em Winners
    2019: BraxtonT 2021: TransAmBison 2022: Taper 2023: oldmantutters
    NFL Survivor Pick Em Winners
    2019: HuskerBizon 2022: KSBisonFan 2023: MrPepBand

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerBizon View Post
    I figured you would have come down last night
    Have a dog to deal with and could not take her til today. Since they could not get into town today now I have to figure out what to do.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.