Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: St. Thomas to FCS

Default Re: St. Thomas to FCS

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Basketball certainly has the ability to be the big profile booster if they get good... Why else does Georgetown, Butler, Drake, etc.. play in the same situation?

However, I would expect St. Thomas to attempt to quickly move to scholarship football. They seem to be a football school. I doubt their boosters will be happy getting the living hell kicked out of them by the "schools that matter" in the FCS. They are going to want to play Minnesota. They are going to want to compete with the Dakota Schools.
    But man, the money unless they drop hockey......

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I am not sure of their hockey following. Minnesota obviously has a lot of support for hockey, but there are plenty of schools to scratch the "hockey itch" down here as well. Now part of UND's problem is they want to have a Top Tier Hockey program... That costs some serious scratch.... If you are willing to be a more mid level hockey program and funded appropriately, could you pull it off??? I am trying to think of a FCS level school that has pulled off a hockey program and a football program successfully.... UND is probably the closest. (And in all honesty, UND right at this second is an above average football program).
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Problem is that it is St. Paul, Minnesota. Dropping hockey would be a very bad look to supporters in that state. A hockey program in the hockey mecca of the USA, why would they pass on that? Could easily be a revenue positive sport for them, a potential cash cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Problem is that it is St. Paul, Minnesota. Dropping hockey would be a very bad look to supporters in that state. A hockey program in the hockey mecca of the USA, why would they pass on that? Could easily be a revenue positive sport for them, a potential cash cow.
    Because of the money. I very, very much doubt they will generate a lot of cash from it when you have the Gophers and Wild in the same market. To me, they simply can't serve both masters well.....they need to either be Pioneer/WCHA, or no hockey MVFC.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I am not sure of their hockey following. Minnesota obviously has a lot of support for hockey, but there are plenty of schools to scratch the "hockey itch" down here as well. Now part of UND's problem is they want to have a Top Tier Hockey program... That costs some serious scratch.... If you are willing to be a more mid level hockey program and funded appropriately, could you pull it off??? I am trying to think of a FCS level school that has pulled off a hockey program and a football program successfully.... UND is probably the closest. (And in all honesty, UND right at this second is an above average football program).
    I think Maine has done alright with both. Maybe New Hampshire too. Yes, DI hockey is tough for any school outside a P5 conference if it was to be competitive in the two major college sports, football and men's basketball due to how much money has to be invested into it.
    Hail the BISON!!!

EagleBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I would take a wild guess and say there is more potential and actual money available to St Thomas, in the Twin Cities, as opposed to Grand Forks, ND.
    Collector of Bison Homecoming pins - Buy or Trade

The Foundation by which NDSU’s success was built upon was a D1 university next to a state with a large population and only one D1 university.

I’m not sure how anyone thinks having more competition for resources (talent) is a good thing for NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    The Foundation by which NDSU’s success was built upon was a D1 university next to a state with a large population and only one D1 university.

I’m not sure how anyone thinks having more competition for resources (talent) is a good thing for NDSU.
    It gives Twin Cities kids that play at NDSU a chance to play near their hometown now.
    Hail the BISON!!!

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Everybody seems to be glossing over the exemption they need from the NCAA to go direct to DI. Has the NCAA ever granted one? I was under the impression that they are pretty strict on their reclassification process.
    Liberty got one to go FBS without a conference invite a few years ago. With the mitigating factors of being kicked out of the MIAC, history of strong athletic performance across all sports, a Summit invite, plenty of money, and the NCAA probably not wanting to grant the Summit another membership size waiver I'd say they have a good chance. I haven't heard of any schools protesting, the NCAA generally turns a blind eye to everything unless someone complains. Just look at how many FBS teams either don't meet attendance or fake that they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    It gives Twin Cities kids that play at NDSU a chance to play near their hometown now.
    Exactly. That is not a good thing for NDSU.