Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In Our Hands - 2019-2022 Capital Fundraising Campaign

Default Re: In Our Hands - 2019-2022 Capital Fundraising Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    It's a bit interesting. Sheila doesn't have a direct connection, but Robert has some very strong indirect connections. His mother worked at NDSU for a couple decades. His uncle was Bill Euren, one of NDSU's long-serving band directors. Robert isn't musical, but many of his family members are, and I believe his son is currently in the NDSU music program in some capacity(judging from the cheering from a section of the audience when Robert brought him up). Robert mentioned going door to door with his mother around town to get support to change NDSU's name from NDAC to NDSC(which would later become NDSU). He also mentioned that he grew up in one of the houses on 12th Ave, just across from the library.

I don't know if he actually attended NDSU himself, but he left for California when he was a young adult(either after HS or college) and has lived his entire life out there. Sheila grew up in Montana and has also lived almost her entire adult life in CA. Though they live in CA, you get the sense that they're fairly conservative(at least for CA). Robert mentioned that they used to have a CA university included in their estate planning, but they removed it a few years ago and added that share of their estate to the part they were giving to NDSU. That may explain why their donation jumped from <$30M to $75M. Suck for them but nice for us.
    Thanks for info guys!
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    He attended NDSU
    He was in the marching band
    https://www.sae-ndsu.com/robert-e-challey
    Damn nice executive summary. You must be/have been a business major no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Thats not going to get ndsu any conference invites
    Probably not, but hopefully the donations will help increase NDSU's academic prestige/reputation.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Probably not, but hopefully the donations will help increase NDSU's academic prestige/reputation.
    Which is also important for those P5 invites no? Let’s claw our way up to within the top 100 academic institutions!

Which is also important for those P5 invites no? Let’s claw our way up to within the top 100 academic institutions!

You gosh darn right! Better academics and a bigger band to go with our athletic department and we’re golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mnlonghorn10 View Post
    thats not going to get ndsu any conference invites
    swac, meac ?

ALOT of money through the years has been given to the university by families that also have ties to SAE!!!! I expect more will be coming in the future.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What does something like this do to NDSU's general endowment? Or is that an impossible question to answer with the information given?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    What does something like this do to NDSU's general endowment? Or is that an impossible question to answer with the information given?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    I was going to answer, but then I realized we can't. The Foundation endowment is currently at about $210M, but we don't know how much of that number comes from the current campaign. It has been going on for two years already, and is over 75% complete. It's shooting for $220M in new endowment funds, but some of that has likely been collected already.

It's pretty clear that a big chunk of this campaign is planned giving, including large portions of the $75M Challey donation. So say this campaign ends with $425M being raised in total, that doesn't mean NDSU will have access to all that money right away. Some will be structured giving; ex. $100k donation actually being a pledge of $20k/year for 5 years. Much will be estate giving; ex. $100k donation but only when the donor dies.

In the long run, I would say NDSU is shooting to come close to doubling the endowment. But we won't see the full effects for 20 years or more. That's just a guess based on some general logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I was going to answer, but then I realized we can't. The Foundation endowment is currently at about $210M, but we don't know how much of that number comes from the current campaign. It has been going on for two years already, and is over 75% complete. It's shooting for $220M in new endowment funds, but some of that has likely been collected already.

It's pretty clear that a big chunk of this campaign is planned giving, including large portions of the $75M Challey donation. So say this campaign ends with $425M being raised in total, that doesn't mean NDSU will have access to all that money right away. Some will be structured giving; ex. $100k donation actually being a pledge of $20k/year for 5 years. Much will be estate giving; ex. $100k donation but only when the donor dies.

In the long run, I would say NDSU is shooting to come close to doubling the endowment. But we won't see the full effects for 20 years or more. That's just a guess based on some general logic.
    And quite sound logic this seems to be IMHO. I would bet that if we poked in the right inter web spaces or called the right folks this info would be readily available. It is a public institution after all.