Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In Our Hands - 2019-2022 Capital Fundraising Campaign

Default Re: In Our Hands - 2019-2022 Capital Fundraising Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Still kicks butt though! I don't know who the Challeys are, but that's an awesome gift for the University.
    Oh, I agree 100%. While this will be an unpopular opinion, the university needs funds more than athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    Oh, I agree 100%. While this will be an unpopular opinion, the university needs funds more than athletics.
    I agree. The University and it's overall purpose tends to be overlooked. I'm guilty of this myself.
    Hail the BISON!!!

A tweet from the Foundation says part of Challey's gift is for a large addition to the music building.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    A tweet from the Foundation says part of Challey's gift is for a large addition to the music building.
    I'm really interested in what the breakdown of the $90M in facilities is going to be. Waiting for them to update the campaign website. From the Challey portion of the event, it doesn't sound like the music addition will be happening immediately. From their comments, it sounded like the internal discussion about what they want in an addition is only in its earliest stage.

Still kicks butt though! I don't know who the Challeys are, but that's an awesome gift for the University.
    https://www.sae-ndsu.com/robert-e-challey
    Don't believe everything you think.

It's a bit interesting. Sheila doesn't have a direct connection, but Robert has some very strong indirect connections. His mother worked at NDSU for a couple decades. His uncle was Bill Euren, one of NDSU's long-serving band directors. Robert isn't musical, but many of his family members are, and I believe his son is currently in the NDSU music program in some capacity(judging from the cheering from a section of the audience when Robert brought him up). Robert mentioned going door to door with his mother around town to get support to change NDSU's name from NDAC to NDSC(which would later become NDSU). He also mentioned that he grew up in one of the houses on 12th Ave, just across from the library.

I don't know if he actually attended NDSU himself, but he left for California when he was a young adult(either after HS or college) and has lived his entire life out there. Sheila grew up in Montana and has also lived almost her entire adult life in CA. Though they live in CA, you get the sense that they're fairly conservative(at least for CA). Robert mentioned that they used to have a CA university included in their estate planning, but they removed it a few years ago and added that share of their estate to the part they were giving to NDSU. That may explain why their donation jumped from <$30M to $75M. Suck for them but nice for us.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    There we go. Got his undergrad at NDSU and his masters and MBA from UC Berkeley. That must be the school that lost out of their money. Looks like the money comes from real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I'm really interested in what the breakdown of the $90M in facilities is going to be. Waiting for them to update the campaign website. From the Challey portion of the event, it doesn't sound like the music addition will be happening immediately. From their comments, it sounded like the internal discussion about what they want in an addition is only in its earliest stage.
    Interesting. The only two facility projects mentioned on the campaign website are the football IPF and the Sudro expansion. Don't know what to make of that.

https://inourhandsndsu.com/

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Thats not going to get ndsu any conference invites

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    It's a bit interesting. Sheila doesn't have a direct connection, but Robert has some very strong indirect connections. His mother worked at NDSU for a couple decades. His uncle was Bill Euren, one of NDSU's long-serving band directors. Robert isn't musical, but many of his family members are, and I believe his son is currently in the NDSU music program in some capacity(judging from the cheering from a section of the audience when Robert brought him up). Robert mentioned going door to door with his mother around town to get support to change NDSU's name from NDAC to NDSC(which would later become NDSU). He also mentioned that he grew up in one of the houses on 12th Ave, just across from the library.

I don't know if he actually attended NDSU himself, but he left for California when he was a young adult(either after HS or college) and has lived his entire life out there. Sheila grew up in Montana and has also lived almost her entire adult life in CA. Though they live in CA, you get the sense that they're fairly conservative(at least for CA). Robert mentioned that they used to have a CA university included in their estate planning, but they removed it a few years ago and added that share of their estate to the part they were giving to NDSU. That may explain why their donation jumped from <$30M to $75M. Suck for them but nice for us.
    He attended NDSU
    He was in the marching band
    https://www.sae-ndsu.com/robert-e-challey