Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In Our Hands - 2019-2022 Capital Fundraising Campaign

Default In Our Hands - 2019-2022 Capital Fundraising Campaign

Thought I might as well start a thread since the official announcement will be next week. Hopefully there will be a lot to talk about.

From info released a couple years ago, the target should be between $300M-$400M and will include some donations made as far back as 2016. Those early donations were made for projects that will be part of this campaign. I doubt they will retroactively make the Sudro expansion part of the campaign, but I wouldn't be surprised if aspects of the Dunbar replacement(outside of the state monies) are included. I'd put money that the Challey Institute for Global Innovation and Growth will be part of it($30M already raised out of $50M).

The pre-hype video is very "aggie", but I don't know if that's because ag projects will be a big part of the campaign, or if the makers of the video are just trying to appeal to that demographic. Considering the state economy, the timing sucks, but not much you can do about that. It's been too long since the last major campaign, and there's no sign of change coming in the next few years, so you eventually just have to grit your teeth and pull the trigger; campus needs aren't going to just go away.

For local comparisons, the last big NDSU campaign was Momentum. The financial times were good, so the original targets were blown away. I think the early, unofficial target was around $50-65M, and that was quickly upped to $75M by the official start. The final figure raised was around $115M IIRC. UND ran a campaign a few years later(still good economic times) with a target of $300M and they raised $325M(though a big chunk of that was planned giving and pledges - IOW, they didn't actually have $325M in hand at the end). Concordia just finished a campaign with a $150M target that brought in $157M. Unknown how much, if any, of that is future giving as opposed to cash-in-hand.

*I expect In Our Hands will include future giving, but I'm not sure if Momentum did. IIRC, just about all of Momentum were projects that needed the money up front. And the endowments showed immediate improvement which wouldn't have happened if a big chunk of it was future giving. But I could easily be wrong.

**Actually, I bet Sudro will be part of it. I thought the news article below was from last year when I wrote the stuff above. But it was from over two years ago, which brings the Sudro project back into play.

From July 2017:
    https://www.inforum.com/news/4297726...on-400-million

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: In Our Hands - 2019-2022 Capital Fundraising Campaign

Thanks for the livestream link

I think it's the Challey's up there now. They donated big to the school of music several years ago($3M ish, I think). I think this is about the $20M they're donating for the Institute for Global Innovation and Growth. I assume that will be part of the college of business.

Nice couple; terrible charisma. lol
    (mean that in a nice way, but I'd probably fake a heart attack if I had to listen to him speak for an extended length of time )

Doubling music scholarships next year from 50 to 100. Nice.

More music doctoral stipends to increase the number of doctoral candidates. Additional faculty endowment. Starting to look at a major addition to the music building in 5-10 years.

Bob Challey Stadium!!! let's go!!!

INCREDIBLE moment in the history of our GREAT University just happened at the SHAC! Bob and Sheila Challey just announced a
    $75 MILLION gift to NDSU!

$75,000,000!
    #BisonPride #PowerOfPhilanthropy https://t.co/qIc0WcDFpw
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post

INCREDIBLE moment in the history of our GREAT University just happened at the SHAC! Bob and Sheila Challey just announced a

$75,000,000!
    I missed the beginning. Wow, they massively upped their donation. It was only going to be in the $10M-$20M range a couple years ago.

This will almost certainly be an academic-only donation, so don't anyone get your hopes up about athletic facilities coming from it. But I expect they will try to leverage the excitement of the donation to raise funds for athletics.

And here comes Matt Larson.
    Jen Lopez up now. Volleyball upgrade part of the plan?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post

$75,000,000!
    Not for athletics.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NDSUFound...23066049241090

Trying for
    $165M in new scholarship dollars.
    $55M for faculty endowments
    $90M for facilities
    $90M for "experiencial activities" for students

total: $400M for the campaign

Currently at $308M! Three years left on the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    Still kicks butt though! I don't know who the Challeys are, but that's an awesome gift for the University.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Trying for
    $165M in new scholarship dollars.
    $55M for faculty endowments
    $90M for facilities
    $90M for "experiencial activities" for students

total: $400M for the campaign

Currently at $308M! Three years left on the campaign.
    Hail the BISON!!!