Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mythbusters: Bison Effect Version

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Mythbusters: Bison Effect Version

Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    Spin off from the Davis thread. I was wondering what the actual numbers are. Yes Davis did lose to Montana, but those sad sacks at UN_ did beat SHSU after playing the Bison. What is the truth to this? Is there a pattern of teams losing their next game, or is it selective memory, we remember the teams losing but forget about the teams that win?

Current records of opponents by year of their next game after playing NDSU, known on Bisonville as "The Bison Effect". I went back to 2010, the start of the playoff era. Thanks for making me waste an hour of my Sunday morning digging this shit up.

2010 7-4
    2011 6-4
    2012 3-8
    2013 5-5
    2014 5-5
    2015 5-5
    2016 8-2
    2017 3-7
    2018 6-4
    2019 3-1

Overall record of teams following a Bison game: 51-45

Thanks for doing this. Gotta admit that the post-Bison hangover thing is largely debunked by the facts. Lots of "big" games in a football season. Of course, there have been 31(?) times over the last 8 years when there's been no "next" game for our opponents.

What if the winning percentage of our opponents for the year is higher than the 51-45 following the week they play the Bison?
    It's OK to not be OK.

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    What if the winning percentage of our opponents for the year is higher than the 51-45 following the week they play the Bison?
    This is my thought as well, can't say it's debunked workout comparing it to anything????

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    This is my thought as well, can't say it's debunked workout comparing it to anything????
    Of course you can. Don't overanalyze it or you will just seek out the math that justifies your opinion. You can manipulate the equation to press ANY agenda. For instance, I have clear mathematical evidence that shows the Jackrabbits sucked last year, suck this year, and will suck forever.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    It's been called a hangover, how much do you drink that the hangover lasts a year?!?!?

I had one that lasted 3 days...………….you'd think that I learned my Lesson...…...

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think there's a lot more to that record than meets the eye as you definitely need to look at who these teams play the week after NDSU plays them. First example I could think of was Butler as they played Indiana Wesleyan the next week, which is an NAIA school. Or in other words chances are a team they should beat, but still had to go to overtime to get it done. How many conferences games were followed up with a Missouri State or Indiana State (most years), etc where a good team could kind of sleep walk through the game and get the win? I think the Bison Effect is definitely in full effect, the stats just didn't back it up at first look as expected.

Plus stats can be a terrible thing to look at when you get them yourself because you can make them look however you want to justify what you want them to say.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    It's been called a hangover, how much do you drink that the hangover lasts a year?!?!?
    I think the idea here is to use the season long records as a baseline to compare to the record during the hangover week.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by JMUVtFan View Post
    Actually potentially need to weigh home vs. away and also final ranking. For example Montana was ranked 18 in the Stats poll. I bet they'll be higher this week. So does that ranking perceived ability not also affect the spread? Too much work for me
    As far as rankings effecting the spread, it’d speculate that it depends how perceptive the voters are and how efficient the betting market is.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I think the idea here is to use the season long records as a baseline to compare to the record during the hangover week.
    .......if only athletes obeyed the laws of the spreadsheet. Follow the rules you mindless rubes!