Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Womens BB New beginning

Default Re: Womens BB New beginning

Quote Originally Posted by BisonAccountant44 View Post
    I know a guy that used to practice against the Lynx, and Pat Summit had men practice against her teams as well. I thought it was standard.
    It is standard at ndsu. Some of my friends practiced against the women in college.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I doubt there are too many females on campus who aren't already on the team that would be competitive. They're trying to improve by playing against better athletes. Very common practice.
    The women should’ve already had their tryouts for walkons to make the team. I think if a lady doesn’t make the team but is good enough, they’ll ask her to stick around for practices. They may be speculating that if someone was willing to be a practice player they would’ve tried out for the actual team itself? Men can’t try out, so hence the tweet.

That all being said, I believe there was a girl a decade back or so that didn’t go to tryouts for the team but tried out to be a practice player. The team ended up taking her on as a walk-on and she played on the team for a year.

Received my season tickets today for men and women's basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    I'm a woman AND a better athlete!
    Not sure the point of this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    I'm a woman AND a better athlete!
    Good for you. You can probably help them out in that case. In general, however, I don't think they can find enough women that can present a challenge to those on the squad and that's why they reach out to guys on campus.
    In my past ... an acquaintance and friend, a woman, asked me to play volleyball against her and a friend of hers. It was two men against two women. We men got our clock cleaned. They were really good. We men were not trying to prove anything, we were doing it for fun, neither of us had any volleyball experience other than in gym classes and pickup games here and there. The two women, however, had played for Nebraska's volleyball team. I was really impressed. Lots of talent, really good teamwork, left a very positive impression on me.

(I have no idea if they practiced against men at Nebraska. All I know is they were really good, and WAY better than I was).

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    In my past ... an acquaintance and friend, a woman, asked me to play volleyball against her and a friend of hers. It was two men against two women. We men got our clock cleaned. They were really good. We men were not trying to prove anything, we were doing it for fun, neither of us had any volleyball experience other than in gym classes and pickup games here and there. The two women, however, had played for Nebraska's volleyball team. I was really impressed. Lots of talent, really good teamwork, left a very positive impression on me.

(I have no idea if they practiced against men at Nebraska. All I know is they were really good, and WAY better than I was).
    That's cool. I don't really know anything about VB but you mentioned you hadn't played competitively, so I'm not sure if that's comparable or not.

When I was in college we played the women's basketball team (which was a very good women's team, BTW) out on the courts by Pavek hall. It wasn't close. They were much, much slower than a bunch of us non-athlete guys. That's not a criticism, it's just different. I went to the women's games as much as the men's games and cheered them on, they were great in the 90s and fun to watch. I'm just saying it's not even comparable and that's why women's teams often look for college guys to practice against, so they can face some good competition that will prepare them for games.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

That's cool. I don't really know anything about VB but you mentioned you hadn't played competitively, so I'm not sure if that's comparable or not.

When I was in college we played the women's basketball team (which was a very good women's team, BTW) out on the courts by Pavek hall. It wasn't close. They were much, much slower than a bunch of us non-athlete guys. That's not a criticism, it's just different. I went to the women's games as much as the men's games and cheered them on, they were great in the 90s and fun to watch. I'm just saying it's not even comparable and that's why women's teams often look for college guys to practice against, so they can face some good competition that will prepare them for games.
    ^ how gully recalls it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV84ha3uEGg

^how it really went down on the courts by pavek hall lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by SlickVic View Post
    ^ how gully recalls it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV84ha3uEGg

^how it really went down on the courts by pavek hall lmfao
    Slick! I haven't seen you for a couple of years. Remembering the chest bumping days in Sioux Falls at teh BB tourney!
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Gonna have to wait until NEXT year when Heaven is actually eligible to play point guard. Word has it, Vinnie has been ballin with her on the court and she's dam good baller
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Gonna have to wait until NEXT year when Heaven is actually eligible to play point guard. Word has it, Vinnie has been ballin with her on the court and she's dam good baller
    Is it sage to assume that the rest of the team will be playing and no one "red shirting". Heaven is out do to transfer correct?
    There is some nice height on the team. Hope these ladies can turn the corner and improve. If a team is not contending for a conference title, one of the ways to measure success is, does the team improve throughout the season. If they are better at the end vs at the beginning is a good sign. They better be better than they have been, period.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.