Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Davis Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

Default Re: UC Davis Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBison View Post
    I wonder if UCD has been focused on the Bison for the last several weeks [months] and not that focused on the previous 3 opponents which would explain their mixed performance in games leading up to today's game. It would certainly lead to them being underrated. They were VERY prepared for playing the Bison.
    With all the talk coming from both sides (I believe) that UC Davis had this date circled for quite awhile, it could very well be. Although the score is similar to the Bison game with Cal's, the biggest difference in my opinion is that the Aggies did not go into a shell and somewhat let up after halftime like they did with the Bears.

Again, a very good test for the young NDSU team and I'm proud that they overcame the adversity they faced and caused upon themselves in this game. I'm not sure they'll face a team that has UC Davis' passing attack, but they'll face plenty ready to give them their absolute best. Got to develop great moxie when pretty much everyone has a target on you.

Looking forward to the next Bison game at Illinois State to see where the players and coaches improved.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Pretty pathetic we didn’t cover the spread. Can’t believe we didn’t beat the #4 team worse. Trey Lance wasn’t even 80% accurate. Whole team probably over looked them. /FuckingPurpleAndSettleTheFuckDownHaters

UC-Davis QB overall versus last few minutes of the game.

His 3rd down interception at the 2 yard line or so late in the game looked like it may have been a bad throwing decision. Two Bison defenders near the receiver and he tried to force it in. The play-calling by UCD on that series also seemed poor. They had just moved the ball down the field, then two running plays that were too predictable. Give some credit to the Bison defense, however.

The next possession - the UC_Davis QB threw the ball into the up-raised hands of a Bison defender.

In both these interceptions it appeared the QB already made up his mind where he was going to throw, and though the place he was going to throw was well defended, he threw there anyway. Maybe I'm being too tough on the guy, since everything moves fast in these situations and one has only split seconds to make decisions, but it seemed to me these two INTs were preventable.

These don't however take away from an otherwise good performance up to that point in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBison View Post
    I wonder if UCD has been focused on the Bison for the last several weeks [months] and not that focused on the previous 3 opponents which would explain their mixed performance in games leading up to today's game. It would certainly lead to them being underrated. They were VERY prepared for playing the Bison.
    Coach Hawkins commented on having been in Frisco for a couple Bison games, so he had his own chance at scouting NDSU. iirc this game (UCD NDSU) was scheduled 3 years ago so would guess he did use Frisco that way. Cal Davis did play Cal Berkeley tough a few weeks ago and that also would have been a big, circled game on their calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    UC-Davis QB overall versus last few minutes of the game.

His 3rd down interception at the 2 yard line or so late in the game looked like it may have been a bad throwing decision. Two Bison defenders near the receiver and he tried to force it in. The play-calling by UCD on that series also seemed poor. They had just moved the ball down the field, then two running plays that were too predictable. Give some credit to the Bison defense, however.

The next possession - the UC_Davis QB threw the ball into the up-raised hands of a Bison defender.

In both these interceptions it appeared the QB already made up his mind where he was going to throw, and though the place he was going to throw was well defended, he threw there anyway. Maybe I'm being too tough on the guy, since everything moves fast in these situations and one has only split seconds to make decisions, but it seemed to me these two INTs were preventable.

These don't however take away from an otherwise good performance up to that point in the game.
    I mentioned to those sitting next to me during the game that I felt one big reason we weren't getting sacks is because he had his mind made up where he was going to throw and as soon as he felt pressure he let it rip.Which could mean he was good at presnap reads and/or he trusts his receivers. The only reason I'm not 100% on that train is it very rarely looked smooth from snap to reception. There were quite a few times it felt like he chucked it up and his receiver was able to get to the spot he heaved it to. But much like an Eastern Washington that just seems to be their style of passing. This was less hail Mary though and more throw it to an open area and hope your guy adjusts the same way you were thinking.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HerdistheWord is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    A lot of our pass coverage issues were due to lack of pressure.
    With the exception of Destin Talbert. He looked straight up lost at times. A performance like that is gonna test the kid’s mental fortitude early. Hopefully it helps him grow.

Trey Lance almost looked human - I mean, he appeared to be off-target on more passes this game than the entire rest of the season. Of course, some of those were undoubtedly caused by him making one read and his WR making another. He wasn't helped by the drops either.

Also, MVFC officials have got to stop letting players/coaches call penalties. Example: the early play where the UC Davis DL turned his back to the play and threw up his arms to get a ridiculous holding call on Volson. Terrible, terrible call.

The worrying thing is that tackling still needs work, and the offense needs to improve their execution. Hopefully, UC Davis is good that they made things look worse than they really were.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Trey Lance almost looked human - I mean, he appeared to be off-target on more passes this game than the entire rest of the season. Of course, some of those were undoubtedly caused by him making one read and his WR making another. He wasn't helped by the drops either.

Also, MVFC officials have got to stop letting players/coaches call penalties. Example: the early play where the UC Davis DL turned his back to the play and threw up his arms to get a ridiculous holding call on Volson. Terrible, terrible call.

The worrying thing is that tackling still needs work, and the offense needs to improve their execution. Hopefully, UC Davis is good that they made things look worse than they really were.
    Agree on Volson call, weak penalty.

The team looked young and played flat and we still won by 11

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

I have always hated that against chuck and duck type teams our secondary always seems to play super loose at the line. This has been the case for years and is amplified when we play good teams (mainly thinking of the EWU game in the dome). So many snaps our secondary was 7-9-ish yards off the line pre-snap and seemed to immediately backpedal post-snap. The short-mid throws were open all day. What happened to jamming the receiver at the line? Play aggressive with the D line, but insanely loose on the back end?