Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Davis Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

Default Re: UC Davis Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

Young QB and receivers failed to execute on some critical 3rd downs that stalled drives. The plays were there to get them open, they just didn't convert.

Did notice it seemed we ran more plays without a fullback than usual during the game. Entz mentioned looked back he thought they should have ran more power. Young coaching staff also has some growing to do and learning how to best utilize this year's team.

Your team is pretty good when you can work out these kinks against the #4 rated team and still come out with the win.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Young QB and receivers failed to execute on some critical 3rd downs that stalled drives. The plays were there to get them open, they just didn't convert.

Did notice it seemed we ran more plays without a fullback than usual during the game. Entz mentioned looked back he thought they should have ran more power. Young coaching staff also has some growing to do and learning how to best utilize this year's team.

Your team is pretty good when you can work out these kinks against the #4 rated team and still come out with the win.
    I thought we ran power well in the first quarter and again in the fourth quarter but got away from it in quarters 2 and 3. It was interesting watching on TV because after we started running power successfully they put their 2 tackles over the guards with a nose guard to stop our A gap runs. It would seem that we should be able to run different plays out of the this formation to expose them such as off tackle runs and play action pass. Instead, we would line up in the shotgun and they would adjust accordingly. It was almost like in the past when we would call two plays in the huddle and the QB would make the call at the line. Trey may not be there yet I guess.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I am actually most worried about our passing game, I think our weakness will be a team that can cover our receivers 1-on-1 and they will throw the safeties in the box to stop the run.
    NDSU has very rarely had a wide out that can line up and straight up win 1v1 coverage. Our success in the passing game comes from breaking play call tendencies and play action. However, if we cant complete simple come back routes, eliminate drops, or dont protect the football after a completion, like we saw this week, then we're going to struggle regardless.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    This team isn’t losing a f##king thing this year. I said before the season started 2 times. UNDEFEATED!!!
    I’m not going to whine around about only beating the number 4 team in the country by 11 at the beginning of the season in OOC play.
    That will be very tough with a frosh QB and some new starters. Probably a better chance we lose one or two than undefeated.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    I thought we ran power well in the first quarter and again in the fourth quarter but got away from it in quarters 2 and 3. It was interesting watching on TV because after we started running power successfully they put their 2 tackles over the guards with a nose guard to stop our A gap runs. It would seem that we should be able to run different plays out of the this formation to expose them such as off tackle runs and play action pass. Instead, we would line up in the shotgun and they would adjust accordingly. It was almost like in the past when we would call two plays in the huddle and the QB would make the call at the line. Trey may not be there yet I guess.
    I also feel like sometimes OC's have hard time staying out of their own way. If A gap power is working, then run it until they stop it. After they adjust and commit to stopping it then deploy your counter to their adjustment. I know they say play calling is like a chess match...but I personally feel like if you have a distinct advantage you should ride that advantage until the other team commits more resources to eliminate that advantage.

The really encouraging thing is that it appears, after playing a wide range of opponents with different capacities, that we have the ability to expose teams through multiple avenues. We aren't a 1 trick pony that is going to just run power down your throat and when you figure out how to stop it then you've got the game under control. I look forward to seeing how Roehl and the rest of the offensive staff come up with ways of exposing ISUr.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    I'm not seeing things as clearly this year as I did last year (called the championship in June 2018), but watch out for Montana State this year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Meh. They could be okay I suppose, it would be a big upgrade if they found a real quarterback. They've had big roster issues as far as players leaving the program since Choate has been there. I doubt they have the stability to be real contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Coaches need to remember it's OK to throw to your awesome TEs more often, and it doesn't have to be in the end zone.
    Lance missed a wide open TE down the seam that would have went for a 50+ yard TD. When I say missed, I mean he threw it behind the TE to the point that the TE couldn’t adjust and make the catch. We saw lots of back-shoulder passes by Lance that should have been front shoulder. He played tight IMO and that was the reason so many throws were off. His immaturity showed IOW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    Meh. They could be okay I suppose, it would be a big upgrade if they found a real quarterback. They've had big roster issues as far as players leaving the program since Choate has been there. I doubt they have the stability to be real contenders.
    Meh, if I'm wrong then so be it, but I'll put it out there and eat crow if need be when the time comes.

I wonder what this game looks like if the BJ doesn't defend that one pass? Or, if Trey leads 87 to his front shoulder on a ball he still should have caught early in the 1st?

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Lance missed a wide open TE down the seam that would have went for a 50+ yard TD. When I say missed, I mean he threw it behind the TE to the point that the TE couldn’t adjust and make the catch. We saw lots of back-shoulder passes by Lance that should have been front shoulder. He played tight IMO and that was the reason so many throws were off. His immaturity showed IOW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beat me to it, great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    I'm not seeing things as clearly this year as I did last year (called the championship in June 2018), but watch out for Montana State this year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Agreed, Coach Choate apparently has found a QB to hand the offensive reins to and for the 4th year in a row, will beat the UMSU Missoula branch football team. Game is in Bozeman.
    I'm not buying the Montana St hype yet. They barely squeaked by an awful Western Illinois team. Their win over SEMO vaulted them up the polls but that's looking like a pretty average win at this point also. They also miss Weber St and Eastern Washington on the schedule this year (although EWU is looking awful so far) so their only remaining games against ranked opponents is at UC Davis and home against Montana.