Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Davis Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: UC Davis Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

I could see this year being a lot like '15. Struggle against a team early (Montana) and play much sharper against the same team in the playoffs.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    The team looked young and played flat and we still won by 11

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    The story of this game was the two pics in the 4th qtr and the defense's ability to hold Davis to field goals.
    I was also a little surprised at our last minute drive in the first half where we got a FG to end the half. I halfway expected us to run out the clock like we usually do in that situation and take a one point lead into the half. The way the game played out those 3 points were crucial.
    Beating a good team when you faced some adversity and didn't play your best will go a long way in the maturity of a young team!

I like that we were aggressive at the end of the half but the play call before the field goal was a terrible call. If that running back stays up for 1 more second we walk off the field with no points. It worked but mostly by luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I like that we were aggressive at the end of the half but the play call before the field goal was a terrible call. If that running back stays up for 1 more second we walk off the field with no points. It worked but mostly by luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    The back made a mistake. Had he run up the middle like the play was designed it would have dam near been a td. Entz walked right up to the back and said get up field straight up field. He danced and juked outside the blocks. A couple times yesterday there was huge holes up the middle and the backs tried bouncing it outside. I think roehl was seeing the holes up the middle as well with his play calling. Just didn't mix it up right he's learning. I do see what your saying about clock management but think I saw what he was trying to do there. Didn't like the switching from power to trying to run Trey up the middle but im not so sure that 9 times out of ten when a read option is called Trey just keeps it himself. Heck Brooks seemed surprised he got the ball on his fumble. Just a young qb learning. A tight end pass wouldn't have hurt yesterday either.

Lardsin must go!

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    The back made a mistake. Had he run up the middle like the play was designed it would have dam near been a td. Entz walked right up to the back and said get up field straight up field. He danced and juked outside the blocks. A couple times yesterday there was huge holes up the middle and the backs tried bouncing it outside. I think roehl was seeing the holes up the middle as well with his play calling. Just didn't mix it up right he's learning. I do see what your saying about clock management but think I saw what he was trying to do there. Didn't like the switching from power to trying to run Trey up the middle but im not so sure that 9 times out of ten when a read option is called Trey just keeps it himself. Heck Brooks seemed surprised he got the ball on his fumble. Just a young qb learning. A tight end pass wouldn't have hurt yesterday either.
    There were many times when the backs should have bounced it outside, it was there so many times I lost some voice over it. Yes there were moments the middle was open for 3-5 yards, but had the backs then bounced it out after those yards, there would have been some big runs in that game instead of just one. This is what made Bruce Anderson and Lance Dunn so good.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    There were many times when the backs should have bounced it outside, it was there so many times I lost some voice over it. Yes there were moments the middle was open for 3-5 yards, but had the backs then bounced it out after those yards, there would have been some big runs in that game instead of just one. This is what made Bruce Anderson and Lance Dunn so good.
    Don't really have a down hill power back. The qb runs weren't there. On that particular play with the middle screen there was more then 5 yards for the taking. Off day for everyone yesterday. You have a down hill runner hitting those 3 to 5 yard holes hard you're getting more then 3 to 5 yards on the carry. Some of the open outside runs our qb kept himself and ran into a heard of Aggies.

Maybe my cheering for the local center has me wanting more runs up the gut.

Was an odd day of play calling and execution.

Lardsin must go!

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Fun but a little frustrating with missed tackles, errant passes, dropped balls, penalties etc. I guess that's why they practice. Iron out that stuff and we are golden. Hopefully the team can learn from a win. Two weeks to prep for UNI. Unfortunately I think Farleys D will give us big problems.

Actually the Bison have two weeks to prepare for their next opponent ISUr and then a week to prepare for UNI.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    Actually the Bison have two weeks to prepare for their next opponent ISUr and then a week to prepare for UNI.
    My bad, way too many beers last night

When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    I'm going to be working a game in Illinois 90 minutes from ISU that Saturday with the same kickoff time! One if these years I'll see a game there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Roehl needs to figure out when to run that hurry-up rushing thing. That only works after the D is gassed a la SHSU '14(?). That's a back breaker type call, don't use it too soon/often.