Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Davis Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

Default Re: UC Davis Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Thats what the defense is designed to do. Take away the long sidelines and funnel it to the inside keeping the ball in front of you. When if you get to the red zone its a short field for them to operate in.
    Interestingly enough, on the UCD message board they were frustrated about how they couldn't get anything deep and how our defense caused them to check down into shorter passes.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    #1 Not arguing they should drop because of WVU loss, just their lack of quality wins compared to NDSU makes ranking them higher unreasonable.

#2 It's still false to argue that just because WVU is FBS they have superior lineman. All arguments he makes on this point are general to FBS and not specific to WVU strengths at those positions.

#3 He's basing his current ranking in part on his expectation that NDSU will lose a game in next 5 games. WTF?!?

#4 His preseason analysis is based on the number of players returning from JMU in part because they played against the Bison 2 & 3 years ago, but what about those players losing three games last year and in the playoffs to Colgate who NDSU destroyed.
    His problem is the same with many pollsters. His perspective isn’t “looking at the whole body of work, this team should be ranked X”. His perspective is “if a team won their game (or apparently lost to an FBS school) they shouldn’t drop”.

2 problems with this: a) NDSU could dominate every game by 100 points here to the playoffs and his response would seemingly be that JMU hasn’t done anything to prove they aren’t the best team. b) This logic means the teams with the longest winning streak at the end of the season get ranked above those with a better body of work.

It’s just lazy

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    His problem is the same with many pollsters. His perspective isn’t “looking at the whole body of work, this team should be ranked X”. His perspective is “if a team won their game (or apparently lost to an FBS school) they shouldn’t drop”.

2 problems with this: a) NDSU could dominate every game by 100 points here to the playoffs and his response would seemingly be that JMU hasn’t done anything to prove they aren’t the best team. b) This logic means the teams with the longest winning streak at the end of the season get ranked above those with a better body of work.

It’s just lazy
    Did you read his article? It doesn't seem like it. He said if NDSU won the next 4 games he would move them up. The guy puts more work into the FCS than probably anybody...he is anything but lazy.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    Did you read his article? It doesn't seem like it. He said if NDSU won the next 4 games he would move them up. The guy puts more work into the FCS than probably anybody...he is anything but lazy.
    While I disagree ultimately with the decision to put JMU at number 1, I can certainly see putting NDSU lower than 1 due to the loss of starters. So, I think I agree with both points (NDSU lost a lot so maybe they deserve 2, JMU lost a lot of games last year, they don't deserve to be 1)... but I definitely agree that B-Mac is one of the hardest working guys in the FCS.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    While I disagree ultimately with the decision to put JMU at number 1, I can certainly see putting NDSU lower than 1 due to the loss of starters. So, I think I agree with both points (NDSU lost a lot so maybe they deserve 2, JMU lost a lot of games last year, they don't deserve to be 1)... but I definitely agree that B-Mac is one of the hardest working guys in the FCS.
    But then who could be #1 if not NDSU or JMU? SDSU? Nope...not with a new qb as well. Then who? If not NDSU, I cannot see anyone with #1 votes other than JMU.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

But then who could be #1 if not NDSU or JMU? SDSU? Nope...not with a new qb as well. Then who? If not NDSU, I cannot see anyone with #1 votes other than JMU.
    What out for Villanova. With that said, I really don't care about rankings as long NDSU is around where they belong. On the bright side, being ranked #2 helps keep the Bison focused and from being complacent. In regards to JMU, personally, I haven't seen anything from them that makes me think they have improved a great deal from last year.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I don't necessarily disagree with anyone ranking JMU ahead of NDSU at this point as I can see arguments for both. However, his overall logic/process of ranking seems up for debate. I'll be curious to see what plays out if JMU doesn't blow out Elon this weekend. How long can a close loss to a mediocre P5 and returning a buncha starters prop them up? If they have any close games with any teams ranked below UCD, there would be essentially no rationale to maintain the top spot.

Perhaps he's getting exactly what he desires out of all of this: attention.

If they had beaten WVU, I'd see the point. But they didnt. Oh well, both teams should be really good in December.

There is no way JMU should have lost last year to Colgate...coach's head wasn't in the game.
    **Cough** 2015 **Cough**

Listening to Bison 1660 radio today former Bison(I believe it was Nate Tanguay) stated that at this point in the season he would rank the current Bison team in the bottom three teams of the last ten years. It wasnt mean, it wasnt critical, Just an honest opinion. Now, does that mean they are good enough to win a title? Maybe I guess. His point was this team has holes and this team is young. I see 2-3 losses coming and I give them a decent shot at winning a title. The O-line is solid but not scaring anyone, The D-line is solid with depth, D-backs are the strength of this team and LB is below avg as teams game plan around Cox (NFL). Offense real solid QB and Backs, Line is Ok, WR is Ok at best. YOUNG TEAM!!!